1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 06-15-2012, 06:47 PM

Para-Ordnance DCX 1445E "Colonel" drawbar malfunctions?

My Para-Ordnance DCX 1445E LDA "Colonel" consistently malfunctions on the 3rd fired. The drawbar disconnects itself from the trigger pin. My first assumption was that I reassemble the .45 incorrectly. Having my certified gunsmith disassemble and reassemble the .45, the problem repeated itself always the 3rd round fired. We disassembled and reassemble it a second time and the issue did not reappear for the next 50 rds. The drawbar is not bent, not damaged. The trigger pin is not damaged, no marks, nothing to indicate a problem. The slide also appears fine. A different day at the range and the same issue is now repeating itself. I am the original owner and the .45 has only 150 rounds fired through it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their high cap Para? I am currently waiting for a return authorisation number from Para's customer service ... .

Thank's for your time.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 AM

jbstudio:

The original LDA tended to do this, although the "third round consistency" is something I never heard of....

Para fixed it by changing the machining inside the slide just a little bit. With the slide off, the drawbar can wander all over the place, but with the slide in place, it's supposed to be forced into position.

I suppose that machining in the slide could be wrong.... Any idea when that gun was made?

I can't think of a good reason why the third round would be so consistent. Even the "moved so far with each shot" idea seems silly.... IAC, the slide's underside should be machined to keep the drawbar against the trigger. 'Bout all I can think of would be to swap the trigger and drawbar and see what happens. However, swapping a drawbar is not for the faint-hearted. (The trigger's a drop-in. So's the drawbar, but what you have to do to swap one.... )

I would really think seriously about sending it to Para, which, I see, you've decided to do. I'm not sure if they'll cover your shipping, though, if you're not the original owner.

(Welcome aboard, too!)

I've got two LDA guns - one from 2004 - and thought I'd heard everything.... But the original LDA design did have issues in this area.

Regards,

Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?

Why do those who claim to want to protect me feel that to do it they need to disarm me?

יזכר לא עד פעם
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM

To SMMAssociates,

Thank's for your reply. Shortly after my post I received a return authorisation from Para ... . Returned it for warranty repairs. Even though I had purchased this firearm new back in Nov. 2005, now being summer of 2012, Para received it and made the repairs under the "lifetime warranty" guarantee (no charges). (I paid for shipping to Para.) Though Para never explained what the problem was, my impression was that what I was experiencing was not something unheard of ... , regarding the original 2005 LDA. The firearm was returned to me the other day, I received a new slide, and new draw bar, 3 new replacement 14+1 magazines (I had returned 3 mags), and a new replacement set of Novack style Trijion (sp?) combat night-sights.

Doug and Mike from Para's customer service were great to deal with. Just a couple of eMails between us — general confirmation info. Pretty much an effortless deal. My plan is to test fire the old (new) Colonel this coming week.

Last edited by jbstudio; 08-03-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:05 AM

jbstudio:

That's great news!

Para was cutting back on the "lifetime" warranty, but either you made the cut, or that policy has been changed. ("Purchased after" was the consideration - I forget when.)

The draw bar issue nearly trashed the whole LDA program when it was first marketed. Really doesn't matter much if they pop off during cleaning, but not good while "on duty".... But the machining in the slide probably was a little off, or the drawbar was bent, or both.

IAC, it's nice to hear good news - there was a period when I hesitated to recommend Para to anybody but myself .... (I knew enough people, and had heard most of the stories Kinda new what could be a problem, and most of the potential issues were pretty easy to fix if you knew what your were doing. You hit a "gotta go back" problem, though....)

Enjoy!

Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?

Why do those who claim to want to protect me feel that to do it they need to disarm me?

יזכר לא עד פעם