1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM

TW25b grease

I've used Tetra for a long time. Im fairly new to 1911's and I have been using the Tetra on the barrel/slide lugs and also applying a very thin film on the slide and frame rails before oiling the rails. I've lubricated my CZ 75 like this long before I bought my first 1911. The Tetra is heavy and tends to stay behind even when oiling over it.

I just picked up some of the Mill-Com TW25b as it seems to be a very popular lubricant and wanted to try it. I know it's indicated as a light grease. Lighter than I thought it would be. Not an oil but more like the consistency of a "lotion" than a grease, but that's nothing more than semantics on my part. Anyway, for those of you who use the TW25b, and specific to your 1911's, where do you use it and how do you apply? ... ie. as the only lube for the slide/barrel locking lugs? On the rails by itself or with oil? etc.

Im also curious as to the properties of this stuff ... in other words, does it "treat" the metal such that there is still lubrication left behind if/when the TW25b is gone? ... kind of like Militec 1 is reported to do?

Sorry if this is a strange question. I know it's not rocket science. Just wanted to give this lube a try and would like some input/opinions from those of you who have been using it and prefer it.

Last edited by Laudanum; 06-14-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 AM

If it slides, lightly grease it. If you want too.
All other moveable parts get oil lubed. If you want too.
Main thing is to just keep it lubed. Even if you don't want too. LOL
Just lube the dang thang and go shootin. LOL
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 AM

I agree. It almost doesn't matter what lube you use.
My LGS guy swears by Gibbs as a general purpose lubricant and that stuff is super light. Leaves behind a nice little protective film though and it works well on my guns.

For me, after years of field service engineering in various industries, racing motorcycles and cars and in general breaking and fixing stuff, I prefer grease or special oils designed for sliding friction in places where parts rub on each other. I use Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil for this. All the sliding places get a drop distributed with a q-tip.

The only drawback is after a good couple hundred round session, the gun looks like hell as the Mobil 1 tends to hang onto powder residue. Cleans up real easy with a little IPA or Gun Scrubber and then re-apply the oil.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:55 AM

I used to use the TW25 on all the plastic guns. It's good stuff. I've switched to Froglube for all my guns so I've stopped using it. Everyone has a different lube they like find what you like and shoot.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 AM

Thanks guys, I know it all works. There is nothing that hasnt "worked" in my 30 years of owning atleast 1 handgun.
It's just something different (for me) to try. Just looking for opinions from those who use it as why they prefer it over other lubes.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudanum View Post
Thanks guys, I know it all works. There is nothing that hasnt "worked" in my 30 years of owning atleast 1 handgun.
It's just something different (for me) to try. Just looking for opinions from those who use it as why they prefer it over other lubes.
I do like how it doesn't smell bad...
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM

I used TW25b for a few years and still keep it on the bench for my AR. However, I switched to Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube products for my 1911's.

YMMV,

Fin
Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM

I use the entire product line of Mil-com. The cleaner MC25, the oil MC2500. I also just bought a couple of weeks ago their new bore cleaning gel MC50 and their thick viscosity oil that is between the viscosity of their grease and their liquid oil; MC3000. The bore cleaner MC50 has a really strong funky smell to it, almost like Hoppes No.9 but sweeter.

I bought arts and crafts type paint brush kit (cheap kits, like 20 brushes of various sizes for $5) they sell at the arts and crafts stores to spread the lubricant around on the underside of the slide and on the rails on the frame. Works well for me.

Anyhow, I'm going on 1 1/2 years using the Mil-com system and I really like it. I no longer have that lingering smell from the petroleum distillate based products like i used to after a gun cleaner session, and the guns get lubricated and end up dry to the touch. Also after you stick with their system, the cleaners + lubes, after the 3 or 4 th time, the gun can literally be wiped down clean. The powder residue doesn't burn into the metal surface since there is a microscopic layer of their product that coats the metal preventing the carbon residue from baking on.

Last edited by PolymerMan; 06-14-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM

I have been using TW25b for a number of years now, and am very pleased with it. I use it on all of my handguns(revolvers and semi-auto) and subguns. On 1911, I use it on the slide/frame interface, and the disco and bbl. I use oil for other places. If you follow the instructions for you first application, I believe that you will be very happy with this product. As MilComm states, it will separate, and you need to squeeze the tube with the cap on the tube to get it back in suspension. I store my tubes upside down, and have no problems.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:13 PM

Love it...

-Robert
Old 06-14-2012, 02:28 PM

How embarrassing, I use a retractable lipstick brush to apply TW25B never have to worry about it getting contaminated retracted with the cap on.

LOG

Old 06-14-2012, 04:28 PM

I'm using tw25b on slide/rails and kg4 gun oil on the other parts with good results.

ymmv
Old 06-14-2012, 05:46 PM

TW25B is part of a lubricating system. MC2500 (or MC3500) is the only oil that should be used with TW25B simply because they are both made up of the same ingredients at different ratios. They support one another to the fullest extent.

LOG

Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Started using it on my AR, and will use it on my new 1911. I like that it isn't a harsh chemical that smells up the house like when I used to use Hoppes No9.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 PM

I use TW25b on the rails, and some on the hood and bbl bushing. I clean with Ballistol and use that everywhere else thatrequires lube. The bore is cleaned with bore tech eliminator. Works great for me! Only stuff I need

Last edited by kite212; 06-14-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 PM

When I field strip, I use it on my barrel lugs, barrel hood and slide rails. When I detail strip, I use the Milcom cleaner and put a light coat of Tw25 on everything. I use it in conjunction with synthetic oil.

Revolvers & Rifles get the same treatment. The TW25 is great for long term storage. I put a visible film of TW25 on the firearms that I just occasionally shoot...bolts and barrels.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 AM

if used properly TW25B grease / MC2500 oil will deliver optimal lubrication and protection. follow the instructions off their website www.mil-comm.com and see the TECH DATA section at left.

If there is pre-existing lube of some other kind or solvent residue, you want to get that off first so that TW25B can make contact with the metal. Polish it in to parts, and you don't need to over do it. You should even draw out fouling with the lube.

Products out there are not all the same and they are not all good enough, if that's all you want.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 PM

I apply tw25b to the first 2" of bbl, the upper and lower lugs, on the disco nose and cocking lug, then the rails(generously). Then take the extra from the back of the slide and put it on the slide stop. Done.

Jon
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM

I apply tw25b to the first 2" of bbl, the upper and lower lugs, on the disco nose and cocking lug, then the rails(generously). Then take the extra from the back of the slide and put it on the slide stop. Done.

Jon