1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 AM

military link

has anyone put a military link on their 1911?

http://karllippard.com/military/1911A2-Upgrade.html
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Pachmayr was putting wide links in guns back in the 70's and 80's, but it never got really popular.

This Lippard guy seems to be a little late to the party.

Justice Hugo Black
Old 06-12-2012, 12:34 PM

Without getting into the pros or cons of his parts or his marketing, someone whith first hand knowledge has confirmed that Lippard did in fact work for Pachmayr as a smith.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Without getting into the pros or cons of his parts or his marketing, someone whith first hand knowledge has confirmed that Lippard did in fact work for Pachmayr as a smith.
Ahhhh. . . That's the connection.

Justice Hugo Black
Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
That does in fact make a great deal of sense. And I won't go into the debate about his parts either.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM

I'm not sure Karl was a gunsmith during his tenure their. What he does with shotguns and rifles is from a different planet than his 1911 parts and verbage.

CW
Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Wow, I'm sorry, but he kind of leads one to believe that one's 1911 is destined for self destruction at any moment. Interesting, but I guess I just don't buy it.

SASS #43746, R.O. I/II
NRA Life Member
Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 AM

This is my 1st post on this forum . I am not a smith but I did spend 30 years in precision machining and have a complete shop out back.
I bought a 7" barrel from Sarco and a military link off eBay . I machined the frame on my
Taurus PT1911 for the wide link , fit the combo together and I like the result. I'll fit one to the oem 5" barrel as well so I can swap them out.
Why did I do it? I just like to tinker and do off the wall stuff with my machines. The link sounded interesting and I don't think I wasted my time.
I do really like my Taurus and have a couple old Star Super Modelos I tinker with too.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:08 AM
Banned

did any one read his page when it makes it seems like he has a contract to make a full auto pistol for year 2100????? or how every thing is highly classified. i know nothing of this site but after reading 5 mins i think in my head......um ok.

"A5 Pistol Model
The A5 model system is not part of the 1911 platform. Slated for military use in 2100 it is the most advanced offensive pistol ever conceived and has no civilian use. Its key features are classified except it fires over 400 rounds a minute. The term "A5" in the name is to hide its design capability from view. It can be introduced today as a Close Quarters Battle Machine Pistol. It is one of the experimental weapons of Karl Lippard Designs that are highly classified. "
Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM

'Flex' versus rotation

Quote:
thereby preventing the barrel from flexing during recoil
To prevent barrel flex (which isn't actually an issue while the barrel is floating during recoil)
a fat link held tightly in its cavity, and tightly between the barrel lugs,
would have to fit so tightly that friction becomes a problem.

Rather than barrel flex, I believe the man means barrel rotation.
The fat link would help limit barrel rotation, not flex.
The fat link can be kept slightly loose to prevent rotation during recoil
and avoid excess friction.

I guess you decide whether barrel rotation during recoil is a problem.

The lower lugs held against the slide stop keeps the barrel from rotating during discharge.

Properly fit bushing, properly fit upper lugs, properly fit lower lugs,
it would appear that these three are all you need during discharge.
After that, it doesn't matter until you're back in battery.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

Dose any one else after reading the web site think its kinda fishy?
Like I said I know nothing about this site . But he talks about stuff being classified then talks about it...
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 PM

Yes, there are threads all over the Internet asking, "What's with this guy anyway?"

One wonders, if he wasn't self-promoting himself, who else on the Internet would promote him? Probably no one. Best of luck to him, anyway.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
...The lower lugs held against the slide stop keeps the barrel from rotating during discharge.

Properly fit bushing, properly fit upper lugs, properly fit lower lugs,
it would appear that these three are all you need during discharge.
After that, it doesn't matter until you're back in battery.
This is not the case for most GI and many production 1911s. Many of them "ride the link" and the slide stop doesn't even touch the lower lugs except at the rear when in battery.

The goal of the wide link is to improve the accuracy of these pistols without fitting a match grade barrel (I don't know if it works or not).

A production gun with a match fit barrel was unheard of until recently.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 PM

Military Link

When reading the info about Karl Lippard, it stated he was issued a patent in 2008 for the Military Link.

As others have said, the Pachmayr wide link system had been used in accurized guns for many years prior to Lippard's design, so maybe the 17 year patent ran out and Lippard made a slight change and got a patent.

The pictures also show another link system, that Lippard now considers obsolete. The link rotates around the barrel feet. I had a gun set up with this system back in the early 90's, and this style of link caused excessive battering of the barrel. Since the barrel feet had been machined for the link, the barrel was now useless, so I had to rebarrel the gun and go with a standard barrel and link.