1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Lmt cqbps16

After a bunch of research and reading I think I have decided on the LMT CQBPS16 AR platform. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it. (I have tried to search, but nothing comes back). Things I curious about are:
1. How do you like the barrel swap option?
2. Have you put the 6.8 SPC barrel and bolt in it and how does it shot?
3. Have you put an 22lr conversion kit in it and how does it shot?

Any positive or negative feedback welcome.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 PM

I had one with a 12" barrel. Great system, I just didn't take advantage of the barrels, so the extra weight was the reason I parted with it. It is one of the most accurate chrome lined AR's I've ever handled.

If you want to find a lot of info on the MRP, search Trident82 and MRP on YouTube and on m4carbine.net. I think he goes by TheTrident1982 on YouTube. That dude loves his three MRPs and now his MWS. He also swaps barrels, tested the zero during swaps and loves to really stretch them out. At one point he had a video past 1,000 yards with his stainless 18" 5.56 barrel.

Edit - I got you the links…

His YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrident1982

M4carbine search for his MRP posts, though you might want to refine this - http://www.google.com/search?client=...w=1280&bih=613
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 06-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:52 PM

I have an MWS on order.

The following is not a knock on LMT rifles just a warning. As my research continues I'm reading about instances where the supplied tourque wrench will over tourque the bolts securing the barrel and they snap. This is what the bolts are designed to do and there is no harm to the top end. I can imagine this is devastating to those it happens to when playing with their brandy new rifles.

Excercise your tourque wrench and check its use priot to using it on your rifle. Trident 182 has tested his MWS at various tourque settings and 140 inch pounds is not super critical for accuracy but the barrel bolts must be snugged up.

I cant wait for my MWS. If I ever get over my pigheadedness regardin 5.56/.223 I will be buying an LMT version in that caliber.

Last edited by pmclaine; 06-11-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Never understood the switch barrel rationale.

An upper change is a piece of cake and not much price difference on the ones I looked at.

LMT CQB16 felt gret in my hand on the dealer's shelf, though.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
Never understood the switch barrel rationale.

An upper change is a piece of cake and not much price difference on the ones I looked at.

LMT CQB16 felt gret in my hand on the dealer's shelf, though.
Same here. Very limited application where I see a use and even then more of a preference.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM

my primary AR is a 16" LMT MRP

i currently only have the 16" barrel but i bought the rifle with the intent of eventually getting the 10.5" and suppressing it. the switch barrel feature is nice when this is in the plans, yes its easy to swap uppers, but that also means another optic and any other accessories you want on your rails, with the MRP that all stays where it is unless you choose to remove it. you can go from 18" to 10.5 quickly and efficiently with repeatable results. i like that. i also like being able to change calibers should i wish or have a need to. the M16 FOW's key selling point is ergonomics and modularity, the MRP system enhances these qualities IMO.

i also like the simplicity and ruggedness of the design as well as the removal of unneccessary parts. less parts= less things to break. for me this is a fighting gun first and foremost and a range toy second. i expect this rifle to hold up to anything and everything i could potentially put it through. the rifles are built to spec from the right materials and are made in the US from a manufacturer with a respectable reputation and record of military service and support. the monolithic reciever means i will have zero shift between a receiver mounted optic/sight and anything mounted on any of the rails, the upper also incorporates QD slots in all the right places for slings, etc. the rifles also come standard with one of the best collapsing stocks and pistol grips on the market. i did replace my trigger group with a geissele SSA out of neccessity due to the previous owner butchering the stock trigger to the point where the safety was non-functional. it seemed like a good excuse to upgrade triggers instead of merely installing a normal spec trigger into such a great rifle.

i have somewhere around 3k rounds through mine including black hills, pmc, winchester, federal, tula , remington, hornady, etc. and have had zero failures using bullets from 45 gr to 75 gr. the 1/7 barrel has done well with 55 gr but shines with 68-75 gr. i use GI 20 and 30 round magazines from colt and lmt but i have also used loaner p-mags with no problems. i have run drills from contact to 400 yards with this rifle and it has done everything i have been able to do up to that point. the limiting factor is me not the rifle. i would like to have more rounds through this rifle but time and money are limiting factors, i do intend to put it through a carbine class as soon as i can find a reputable one i can afford to attend.

the only drawbacks to this system are weight and parts commonality with barrels. weight is not an issue to me as this rifle as equipped is about the same weight as a 20" AR. if im carrying it for extended amounts of time its on a 2pt sling with QD swivels. besides i kinda like hefty solid guns (1911 anyone?). parts commonality with the barrels is a legitimate concern i suppose but barrels are available directly from lmt and when was the last time any of us heard about barrel failures from reputable manufacturers other than maybe being shot out from high round count? other than barrels, all other m-16 FOW parts are compatible with the system including bolts, charging handles, etc. the lower receiver is 100% milspec except that at least on mine it was very well matched and fitted to the upper, tighter than any other AR i have handled including noveske, colt, DD, and wilson.

overall for my purposes, i think the MRP is an ideal system and i would highly recommend it for anyone whos purposes for a high quality AR resemble mine. it is not the do all end all perfect solution, but it fulfills my requirements for a fighting carbine quite well.

the only thing i have struggled with on this rifle is optics choices, i currently have a primary arms CompM4 clone on it which has impressed me for the price i paid. but i cannot decide whether i want to get the real deal aimpoint, or a variable Ill reticle such as a 1-4x. i dont like eotechs and ACOGs are nice but i think i would prefer the 1-4x over that for 0-50m work after using a co-workers M&P15 equipped with one.

any other questions feel free to ask.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM

I think the MRP is an awesome rifle. In my previous post I wasn't speaking bad about anything and maybe could have been more clear by saying that the quick change barrel isn't a major selling point for me. The rifle itself is extremely accurate, very rugged and overall a great design.

Did you know that you can now have any barrel converted to fit the MRP? Very cool. I'd love to see one with a Centurion Arms barrel. Lighter and probably just as accurate.

The one thing I do like about the quick change is you can swap barrels without moving optics. Since they are repeatable, you just need to know the adjustments needed per barrel.
~Paul Howe~
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM

no worries, i didn't take it that way. i was just responding to the op based on my experiences with it and why i chose that system. for many people the ability to switch barrels, etc will never be utilized and they would be ahead to just buy a 6920(40) or BCM and be done with it.

i did not know that barrel conversions for the MRP were available, very cool indeed. that opens up all kinds of possibilities, not to mention another way to drain my wallet, i could see a 12 or 12.5 noveske machine gun barrel converted to MRP in my future...

so many projects so little money, you guys out west need to go start more wildfires so i can get deployed and paid!!!

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Nice, I'm stocking up on lighters now for my next trip!
~Paul Howe~