1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 AM

need help finding some info

I recently acquired a "Browning FN 9mm HP mk I* Inglis Canada." Im was wondering if anyone could give me any info on it. I traced down the year it was made but that is about it. It has 3 different serial #'s. The serial numbers are 3CH933-barrel, 3CH2730-slide, & 3CH735-stock. The finish is in rough shape because it looks like someone tired to refinish it with black spray paint. It has the 13 rd clip but didn't see any proof marks on it.
Is it common to have 3 different serial numbers? What was original finish? It still shoots great and i got it for next to nothing, so i was thinking about restoring it or just keeping it to plink around with. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:27 PM

It sounds as though you purchased a "parts" gun. Many different gun's parts contributed to a complete gun. That does not keep them from being good shooters and fun pistols. If you are going to fix it up, use caution and don't drop a load of money into it, as the parts guns are not worth a lot of money regardless of condition.....which is why you purchased it at such a reasonable price.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Welcome to the forum jdstover. It looks like you have a parts gun as stated previously. The finish could be original as these were wartime production. Are the stampings unpainted? I would just enjoy shooting the pistol and not bother with any restoration.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Thanks guys, I thought that is what I had but I wanted to make sure. And the stampings were painted over. You can still make out 2 of them right above trigger but can make out the one on the slide. And again thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 AM

The original finish of Inglis High Powers was "Parkerized". No Inglis High Power left the factory with a painted finish. Paint was the finish the Brits used when the overhauled the Inglis High Powers in their inventory. But if the Brits overhaul a pistol they made sure the serial numbers match.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem. A relative of the Law of the Bigger Hammer.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM

If you want to know more about the 3 serial numbers, get a copy of Clive Law's book on the Inglis HiPower.

Stercus Accidit
Proud member of ***DTSG club
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 PM

It could have a rebuild mark like FTE 63 on the LH side of the frame and slide. During the rebuild, parts from different pistols were sometimes put together to make a good one. Sometimes the parts were 'force-matched' to the receiver by over-stamping. Rebuilds like this sell for around $500 in good condition with the factory black grips and lanyard loop.