1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 05-29-2012, 06:46 PM

10mm VS .45 Super...

Well, not a Versus match-up per say, more of a comparison. I just wanted to know what kind of velocities I can expect with .45 super and how it compares to 10mm in the same Grain range.

Here is a link I found on Glocktalk about .45 super.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197490

The numbers look good but if anybody has any personal experience with the .45 super I would like to know all I can. Why isn't it very popular? From what I've read, it doesn't give off as much pressure as a 10mm, but delivers similar results.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM

I have both, but I haven't experimented with 45 Super as much as 10mm. Both are great, but the .45 Super shoots bigger and heavier bullets which I think would give it the slight edge. With bullets of the same weight, the Super is a little faster I think, but the 10mm will have better sectional density when the bullet weights are the same. However, you can't go wrong with either. I haven't shot 45 Super in my Dan Wesson, but use my G21sf w/KKM barrel.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Now that I have a Valor in addiion to my Heritage, I am thinking of setting the Heritage up as a dedicated .45 Super. It lies exactly in the energy range that I think will be the best compromise between power and my 65 year old hands and wrists. (Quite frankly, .44 magnum in my Model 629 aggravates my slight touch of arthritus.) I would stick to .45 ACP in my CCO and Valor for defensive use, and dedicate the .45 Super Heritage to outdoor carry. We don't have anything bigger than Hogs that we might run into here in Alabama. (Well, we have black bears whose range seems to be spreading, but in the environs I haunt that would be extremely rare.)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 PM

My experience is the 10mm in a hot load will reach out further which is nice in a rual environment, but may penetrate more in an urban environment.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
My experience is the 10mm in a hot load will reach out further which is nice in a rual environment, but may penetrate more in an urban environment.
It may and it may not. Its faster, but it also a lighter bullet, so it will lose energy -- and penetration ability -- at a faster rate than a larger, heavier caliber bullet.

Frequently, the smaller caliber hollow points that are very fast, tend to open up and not penetrate as much. Personally, I wouldn't use a 9mm or .40 cal unless it was shooting a bonded bullet. But that's me, your mileage may vary.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-06-2012, 05:31 AM

Why? I'll tell you why....

Quote:
Why isn't it very popular?
The simple fact is these cartridges generate significant recoil, more than most care to train through.....

Bragging rights are no good if you flinch and miss by a mile when you're showing off, ay?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:07 PM

My 10mm DW has a little more muzzle blast than a .45, but recoil is not a big deal.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM

I think I'm gonna get a Glock 21 and get an aftermarket bbl, preferably a 6" ported bbl, and start reloading for .45 super. I have always loved .45acp and this is like .45 acp on steroids!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
The simple fact is these cartridges generate significant recoil, more than most care to train through.....

Bragging rights are no good if you flinch and miss by a mile when you're showing off, ay?

Exactly.

The only reason my 45Super loads work for me is the use of my SA longslide with a comped bbl. Adds a lot to the velocity....6 1/2" total bbl length.

For the last 2 yrs, all of my competitions have been a "no power factor" falling steel match. When I got my 10mm earlier this yr, (the first couple mags) the recoil and blast was extremely unexpected and I don't think I could've hit anything farther out than 10-15 yds with any kind of accuracy.

Time to go back to reloading my +P 255's for all my shooting to get back being able to control hot loads again.