1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
I was at the drug store yesterday, trying to decide on white, red, or some other color...as I was standing there, I was getting some peculiar looks from all of the other shoppers on that aisle, who were all women.

Maybe I should have worn a dress, to fit in better.
Oh, happy memories. I remember one happy day, my girlfriend at the time asked me to pick her up some products, of the femine hygiene variety. I was twenty years of age and quite confused as to what the hell to do in said aisle. I caught many an odd glance, got some rueful looks, and managed thankfully to feign some sort of nonchalance as I headed towards the till and out the door.

I like white or orange myself when it comes to painting a sight.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 PM

Before I painted my sights, I "thought" I wanted to install new aftermarket sights. But after researching sights and the process to pick and install new sights, I thought I'd go the "cheap" way and try nail polish first. It works!
I can pick up the FS much easier against a black target in a low-lit indoor range. And in my opinion, the GI type low sights will do just fine in a home invasion-type situation. Really, I don't think I'll have to shoot an apple off a family member's head like William Tell...the GI sights will do fine inside my home, God forbid I should ever need to use it.
The GI sights may not be the most glamourous things out there, but they will work!
For me at least.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:57 PM

Does any know if DP takes walkins? Looking at the links I just saw they're right up the road in Florence. Yay me.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Raid the wifey's nail polish. I found an uber bright orange shoved in her stash and BAM easy see front sight. Used white to outline the rear then covered it all with clear. I've beat the heck out of that gun and it has yet to chip fade or come off when using cleaning solvents. Just remember to clean the surfaces real well with acetone before applying if you want it to stick for any length of time.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 PM

I used silver nail polish on the rear, just a line, and orange on the front.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=Engineer;3892905]I painted the rear half of my sight with orange lure paint and replaced the rear sight with a 10-8 part. So far the combo has worked but I recently bought a front sight staking tool - so I might attempt a replacement with a fiber optic front sight.

[/QUOT]

Is a GI FS comapatible with the 10-8 rear? Obvously, it is but I thought the NM was taller than the little GI that it replaced. Do you set the top of the FS in the bottom of the U notch or level as you would a taller FS?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 AM

Used my daughter's neon orange finger nail polish:

Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Great....

Now I'll have to get grips to match....
VFW
Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 PM

Ordered some SiteGlo! Post pics when arrives and painted.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodadek View Post
Oh, happy memories. I remember one happy day, my girlfriend at the time asked me to pick her up some products, of the femine hygiene variety. I was twenty years of age and quite confused as to what the hell to do in said aisle. I caught many an odd glance, got some rueful looks, and managed thankfully to feign some sort of nonchalance as I headed towards the till and out the door.

I like white or orange myself when it comes to painting a sight.
HA! At about the same age, I went into a Victoria's Secret with the intent of buying something "special" for the then girlfriend/now wife. I'm a fish out of water, completly out of my element. A saleswoman appeared and asked if I needed any help.

"YesIwanttobuysomethingformygirlfriend!"

"Obviously, sir."
I could see the physical restraint of her resisting the urge to laugh.

I have one coat of Testors model paint in white.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Sure did. My first attempt as to use a white base, w/blood red top coat. It did make a world of a difference. Topped it off with "hard as nails" for protection. Only thing is that even with slight roughening with steel-wool, nail polish shines too much or gives a glare that interferes with a sight picture. While I was on a campaign for a flat red or flourescent yellow/orange, I just ordered a set of Trajicon tritium's, and have been happy with them.
BTW, for RIA GI, the front sight is "narrow tenon". There are several glow-in-the-dark sights that are relatively inexpensive, and only a few dollars to get them installed. Check out Brownell's first, then Midway.

good luck
Old 06-10-2012, 04:37 PM

I tried painting my GI sights with white out. Didnt work out too well
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 PM

I painted the front sight on my CS tactical 9mm and my dad's FS. That was taken about 30 minute's after I painted it. Walmart $3 for the fingernail poilsh. I painted the front sight white with a paint pen before I put on the fingernail polish.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 PM

RIA owners seem to be a very thrifty and resourceful group.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM

i used white craft paint and its held up fine for over a year
Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 AM

painting sight

would finger polish work in place paint on sights ?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt7680 View Post

I painted the front sight on my CS tactical 9mm and my dad's FS. That was taken about 30 minute's after I painted it. Walmart $3 for the fingernail poilsh. I painted the front sight white with a paint pen before I put on the fingernail polish.
I just got a bottle of that this morning from Wal mart. I tried to explain to the girl checker it was for painting a front sight. She handed me my receipt and said "Oh really..."
Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias5.56 View Post
I just got a bottle of that this morning from Wal mart. I tried to explain to the girl checker it was for painting a front sight. She handed me my receipt and said "Oh really..."
A little off subject. My wife sent me to Kroger's to pick up some monthly supply's. I'm walkimg through the store playing catch with them with a poop eating smile. I get to the checkout and the cashier is around 16 year's old. She look's at the box and then me, I put my hand on my stomach and then " Girl I got it rough this month." I have never seen someone turn as red as she did.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt7680 View Post
A little off subject. My wife sent me to Kroger's to pick up some monthly supply's. I'm walkimg through the store playing catch with them with a poop eating smile. I get to the checkout and the cashier is around 16 year's old. She look's at the box and then me, I put my hand on my stomach and then " Girl I got it rough this month." I have never seen someone turn as red as she did.
I got set up like that once. One of the big parts manufacturers and I grew up together. Once when we were all on a vacation his g/f sent us to the store and when it came time to checkout he was in front of me and conveniently disappeared leaving me with a pile of female stuff to pay for.

Last edited by alias5.56; 06-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Ok, received the SiteGlo paint today and I'm going nuts to paint my sight but don't have any mineral spirits/acetone. All I have for a paint remover tonight is non acetone nail polish remover I got from my daughters room. Do you think the non acetone polish remover would be ok on the park finish??
Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 PM

That stuff is what I use to clean my site before painting.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks Jeff! I'm going in then! Painting Sight, Post pics when done.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 PM

I heard horror stories about front sights falling off the RIA because its a different cut, but I wanted fiber optic sight. So I took my slide to a machine shop have them cut it and drilled a hole for the fiber optic (I bought the ptics from brownells). cant be happier with the results

http://kooyahdesigns.zenfolio.com/1911/e38ba1f17

Last edited by kpinoy; 06-12-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Painted my GI fs today with orange nail polish. I didn't take it outside but aimed out the window and different places inside the house. It improved it some, more from the reflection from the sheen depending on the what I was aiming at. Sometimes the color popped, sometimes it remained black.

I need reading glasses now and may need a FO.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Finally received the paint and got sight painted. Very happy how it turned out! Pics below.

See the fullsize version at: http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share

See the fullsize version at: http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share