1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 PM

WWII Commemorative 1911

Was at a small range today and was surprised to see and Asia/Pacific WWII Nickel Colt 1911 Commemorative with the presentation case and the 7 nickel silver dummy rounds for $1250. Is this a good buy?

They also had another Colt 1911 in 38 Super a display case that was very brightly blued, with real pearl grips. It was $2400.

Not that I could afford either, but I thought the WWII Comm. Colt at $1250 was a pretty good buy.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 PM

Most collectors will tell you the commemorative pistols will most usually sell for less than the regular production pistols of the same era.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider68 View Post
, but I thought the WWII Comm. Colt at $1250 was a pretty good buy.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
It would be at good buy at under 750. 1250, for me, way over priced.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskar017 View Post
Most collectors will tell you the commemorative pistols will most usually sell for less than the regular production pistols of the same era.
Yes, I've been noticing that for quite awhile now.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider68 View Post
Was at a small range today and was surprised to see and Asia/Pacific WWII Nickel Colt 1911 Commemorative with the presentation case and the 7 nickel silver dummy rounds for $1250. Is this a good buy?...
I agree with pyunker45 - that seems a bit on the high side. While I see them offered at that price, I don't often see them sold at that price. One of the big issues to watch for with those guns is to see if they were left in the box for the last 40 years. I've seen all kinds of issues caused by long term storage in those boxes, from the foam mounting sticking to the grips and the brass mounts causing corrosion. I've also seen them with weird spots of rust on the gun that seem to occur randomly. So you'd have to take the gun out of the box to check it out thoroughly.

It also seems to me that those Colts did not always receive the highest attention to fit and finish. Even the engraving and fill was not always very well done.

If the box and papers were in perfect condition, and you just had to have it to complete a collection of the other pistols, $1250 might be an ok price. Otherwise, $1000 at the high end would make more sense. But, I've seen just the pistols themselves sell for that sometimes, so you never know.

The comments on commemoratives are generally accurate. Given the choice between a normal pistol and a commemorative, most folks would rather have the regular version. Colt really went crazy in the 60s and 70s with commemoratives, and many of them are just not very good. But all of them will shoot, so at least they will still serve their original purpose. If I could have an original 1911 in the box vs. a similar commemorative in the box, I'd take the former in a heartbeat.

Good luck,

dakotaTex
Old 05-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotaTex View Post
Colt really went crazy in the 60s and 70s with commemoratives, and many of them are just not very good.
That's the main problem. Both Colt and Winchester were the same way, releasing a new commemorative honoring some person, place, or event just about every other week it seemed. As a result the demand for most of them is very low. I've seen some that looked really nice, like the LAPD commemorative Series 70, but most were overdone with simulated gold leaf, nickel/gold plating, and cheap engraving that turned them into parodies of the gunmaker's art.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:57 AM

If the 38 special happened to be a Pre War..." very brightly blued"....that could be a steal at $2400.00 depending on the condition and originality.

Just dreaming what it could be :-)
Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MAY View Post
If the 38 special happened to be a Pre War..." very brightly blued"....that could be a steal at $2400.00 depending on the condition and originality.

Just dreaming what it could be :-)
That caught my eye as well, but I assume it would be one of the Lew Horton "EL" models in Royal Blue. Which also could be a pretty good price, as some of them command a boatload of money.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the update. I did not actually get to hold either one of them as it was close to their closing time of 4PM. The blued model was in a brown presentation box, did not see any papers. Probably under the cloth covered foam it was resting on. Same for the WWII Comm Model.