1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM

Kimber custom II vs Remington R1 Enhanced

I'm totally new to this but am I right wanting to get the Kimber due to no machining for the correct night sights and seeing how Remington just got back in the 1911 game recently. I think back in the day it was Remington and Rand but like i said l'm totally new to this 1911 game and need good advice. I can't really afford colt or Wilson or ed brown but I can afford the enhanced and custom. Take it easy on me please and thanks for any advice.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:32 PM

So, am I understanding this right? You want to buy a Custom II because of the way the machine cuts are for the "correct" nightsights you want to install at a later date?

You could save yourself time and money and look into the Custom TLE II. It is an upgraded version of the Custom II, that has Front Strap Checkering and Night Sights already. You can usually find these for a little more than the Custom II but still less than $1k.

Sorry, I can offer no advice regarding the Remington R1 Enchanced.

Do you have a range nearby that rents either of these guns so that you can try them out before buying?

Good luck making your choice.

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
You could save yourself time and money and look into the Custom TLE II. It is an upgraded version of the Custom II, that has Front Strap Checkering and Night Sights already. You can usually find these for a little more than the Custom II but still less than $1k.
My vote goes to Kimber over Remington and, I totally agree with skosh69 - TLE II is totally worth to spend a little more money on so, +1
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM

If you want a railed 1911, there are many more options than just the two you have mentioned in your post, including, but not limited to what I recently bought and am enjoying thoroughly, my Sig 1911 TacOps. It's a great package and comes with the Novak NS's standard. Though to be fair, I'm already looking forward to my next 1911. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Kimber vs rem

Guys Im getting the Kimber for 750 brand new and the TLE II is out of stock everywhere ive been looking Ill get night sights thought this was a good deal on the Kimber.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 PM

The Custom II is an excellent pistol and the best buy for the money in Kimber's lineup. You can always change sights if you desire. I have shot the Remington but felt the trigger pull did not compare with that of Kimber.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM

Thanks I liked the trigger pull better on the Kimber as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM

Great choice! And... here you go http://store.kimberamerica.com/Produ...7/Default.aspx
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Nothing wrong with the Kimber at all, but your comparisons are a little off. Colt is in the same price range as Kimber. Ed Brown and Wilson are semi-custom to custom so they're a different animal. The Custom II is just like just about every full sized Kimber, full size, all steel, but other production manufactures have similar models, although may not stack up to a Kimber, or may.

And keep in mind, night sights can be had for any dovetail cut, Kimber just has a unique cut.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
Nothing wrong with the Kimber at all, but your comparisons are a little off. Colt is in the same price range as Kimber. Ed Brown and Wilson are semi-custom to custom so they're a different animal. The Custom II is just like just about every full sized Kimber, full size, all steel, but other production manufactures have similar models, although may not stack up to a Kimber, or may.

And keep in mind, night sights can be had for any dovetail cut, Kimber just has a unique cut.
You learn something new everyday. I never knew Kimbers had a unique cut for its dovetailed sights. I have Colts, DoubleStars, Kimbers, Springfields, a Remington R1, a RIA, and a Wilson and never changed sights myself. They are all pretty true to 19111s, but I started with a Springfield, then a Kimber. I like and shoot the others, but Kimbers are my EDC.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post

Sorry I told you guys I'm new to this 1911 thing.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 AM

But I'm definitely here to learn from you guys!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM

congrats on your Custom II. I just got a Custom II recently as well. You'll love the heck out of this gun. All I want to do now is shoot the damn thing but can't really afford to do it that much haha. Next purchase: Reloading set up!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgraves View Post
Guys Im getting the Kimber for 750 brand new and the TLE II is out of stock everywhere ive been looking Ill get night sights thought this was a good deal on the Kimber.
That is a good deal on the Custom II. If you can wait for the TLE II, that is another option.

Another is finding a Custom II WITH night sights--- it is slightly cheaper than a fullpledge TLE II.

What I did: bought a used Custom II and put some glow paints. It worked well for me.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:26 PM

I just put 250 rounds through a brand new Kimber stainless custom II in 45 ACP.

I don't see how any manufacturer could possibly produce a better pistol.

It fired 250rds flawlessly, without any malfunctions or stoppages of any kind.
It shoots dead to point of aim at 25 yards with 230gr FMJ.

Right now it's completely detail stripped and an inspection of all internal parts reveals absolute perfection in each and every part.

The full length guide rod has already been consigned to the trash can, and replaced with a GI system.

The flat plastic mainspring housing hit the trash can too, and was replaced with a stainless steel arched one.

I now have the perfect 1911 pistol.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Remington Arms made 1911's during WWI under their name.
Remington Rand was a typewriter manufacture. Remington Rand was a separate entity.

If you are comparing the Kimber Custom II to the Remington R1 Enhanced.
The Kimber is hands down the better gun. Better fit and a forged frame.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 AM

Thanks Jason D I thought buying the Kimber would be better choice
Old 05-24-2012, 03:39 PM

What 10 round mags should I buy for the Range and who has the best deals?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 PM

Rem vs kimber

Well after having the custom II for 4 days I sold it and I found a dealer with 10 TLE's ones on the way thanks guys.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Well after having the custom II for 4 days I sold it and I found a dealer with 10 TLE's ones on the way thanks guys.
Congrats in finding the exact gun and model that you like!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Remington Arms made 1911's during WWI under their name.
Remington Rand was a typewriter manufacture. Remington Rand was a separate entity.
Sorry, 1911s were marked as Remington Rand ....
Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Enjoy the TLE is a great gun.

NRA Member
Colt Lightweight Commander, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Custom TLE II RL,Kimber Ultra TLE II, Kimber Raptor Pro II SS.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn-SC View Post
Sorry, 1911s were marked as Remington Rand ....
Oh yeh? Well, what does it say on the other side?

Just kidding. I really would love to see the other side though. First picture of the Remington Rand 1911 I've seen. And this is a very clear photo. I know that Singer, and others also made them to beef up WWII production levels.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberBillyB View Post
I really would love to see the other side though.

And here's another one ... (I posted the other one the first time because the slide wear makes the "Remington Rand" imprint more obvious)
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM

A rail can be mounted to any Gov't 5" 1911 w/ two allen screws.