1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 05-20-2012, 01:28 AM

Question about hammer strut & pin.

So, I ordered a Harrison ignition set for my EMP. I've pulled apart several 1911's in the past. But my question is, how well does SA stake their hammer pins? And I'll accept any useful tips for un-staking them also, thanks guys. OH, and if it proves to be too bothersome to get undone, are there different size hammer struts for officer vs goverment frames?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 AM

The pin comes out with a hammer and punch. The 10-8 bench block makes this easy to do. I usually order a new strut and pin though.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 PM

ok, so are the struts one size fits all?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:22 PM

Officer's sized guns use a standard 1911 strut.
I would assume the EMP is not altered in the grip safety area (just uses a shorter trigger bow), and uses a standard strut.

When using the Springfield (and Ed Brown?) style of hammer strut, 'listen' and watch for contact with the grip safety, and/or rubbing on the middle leaf of the sear spring. I have run into this when changing/tuning ignition parts and other related components.
Colt CCO (1999), Wiley Clapp Commander, Dan Wesson ECO (9x23win), H&K USP .45 Tactical, Sig SAS P220 Compact, Sig P220 in 9mm (now 9x23), Kimber Pro Aegis (9x23win), Springfield LWT GI Champion, Fusion 9x23 CCO build, Colt/Caspian Officer's build, S&W 329NG .44mag.
It's only lying if someone believes it.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 PM

Maybe I'll just order a harrison strut and pin, seems like it may be easier.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbondave View Post
Maybe I'll just order a harrison strut and pin, seems like it may be easier.
yep. the only times i used the factory strut was when i forgot to order one.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:39 PM

well I gave it a go today.but I mushroomed the hammer strut pin when I was putting it on the new hammer.... In otherwords I couldn't get it quite flush =(. I could get it enough that it all fit back together, but I wouldn't trust it in that condition... So I'll order a new hammer strut/pin and drop it off at the gunsmith up the road. the thumb safety needs some adjusting as well, it's very difficult to put in the on position. but the trigger feels more crisp, that's the upside I suppose! Might as well get a solid trigger fitted as well since it's going in anyhow.