1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 06-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van-Romanator View Post
... I do need to practice more writing in order to improve my spelling. ...
Do you have a spell-checker in your browser? One that puts a squiggly red line under misspelled words? And then lets you replace the word with one from a dictionary when you opposite-click on it with your mouse?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:18 PM

I do its just sometimes I do not proof read what I put in writing.

And that is a problem.

And that is a problem like when making an important email or just trying to ask about guns.

What is your experience with the 1911'1?

I mean what features are important and what are trivial in your opinion?

Thanks,
Roman.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
... What is your experience with the 1911'1? ...
Hey Roman,

My experience with the 1911 platform has been entirely positive. I'm a weekend shooter, I'm lucky if I have a few thousand rounds through most of my 1911s. I have a few that I shoot the shyte out of (a P6, a 92FS) so take my opinion with a grain of salt when compared to some of these guys that have their 1911 genetically attached to their right/left hand.

I've always tended towards stainless finish because they don't show wear as quickly as parkerized or similar finish. Matte if at all possible.

Since I don't use any 1911 as my EDC or nightstand gun I shoot primarily ball ammo. So I don't have many issues with FTF/FTE problems with mine. The standard barrel / ramp set-up in most 1911s works fine.

I stay away from adjustable sights, I seem to do OK with fixed Novaks or a similar style sight, whatever the gun comes with.

I really like the RASSCO Dynmondwood grips and I put those on most all of my 1911s.

I've either owned or currently owned 1911s from Taurus, Para Ordnance, Kimber, Rock Island, Umarex, Interarms, and Remington. All of them wereare good pistols, some more-so than others but I like them all.

Let me know what you end up with.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfritz View Post
Hey Roman,

My experience with the 1911 platform has been entirely positive. I'm a weekend shooter, I'm lucky if I have a few thousand rounds through most of my 1911s. I have a few that I shoot the shyte out of (a P6, a 92FS) so take my opinion with a grain of salt when compared to some of these guys that have their 1911 genetically attached to their right/left hand.

I've always tended towards stainless finish because they don't show wear as quickly as parkerized or similar finish. Matte if at all possible.

Since I don't use any 1911 as my EDC or nightstand gun I shoot primarily ball ammo. So I don't have many issues with FTF/FTE problems with mine. The standard barrel / ramp set-up in most 1911s works fine.

I stay away from adjustable sights, I seem to do OK with fixed Novaks or a similar style sight, whatever the gun comes with.

I really like the RASSCO Dynmondwood grips and I put those on most all of my 1911s.

I've either owned or currently owned 1911s from Taurus, Para Ordnance, Kimber, Rock Island, Umarex, Interarms, and Remington. All of them wereare good pistols, some more-so than others but I like them all.

Let me know what you end up with.
What you think of If I'm short on cash just to get a RIA tactical that comes with novac sites it has a beaver tail safety. It has full length guide rod but the one that dose not unscrew and anyways can swap for GI I think.

How is the Remington? Are they really good shooters? I liked the enhanced one looked good with the fiber optic sights.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
What you think of If I'm short on cash just to get a RIA tactical that comes with novac sites it has a beaver tail safety. It has full length guide rod but the one that dose not unscrew and anyways can swap for GI I think.

How is the Remington? Are they really good shooters? I liked the enhanced one looked good with the fiber optic sights.
Just one opinion, but I think I would go with the RIA over Remington.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gew98 View Post
WTH is a "biginer" ?.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 AM

Add another vote for a RIA. I have a Colt, a Dan Wesson, and a Springfield MilSpec - for the money you won't find a better gun for a first 1911. Or a second or third.

Rodgers Roll Your Own - Class of September 2012 - Summa Cum Laude
Old 06-13-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtx View Post
Just one opinion, but I think I would go with the RIA over Remington.
I suggested the R1 over the 51421 but only if money wasn't an issue. And then I followed that up with (if ya got the cash) how about buying a stainless R1 and the Rock. Two nice guns, two flavors. Not much over a grand which is what the next step up from the basic Kimber Stainless Custom II would run you.

Here's what I'm thinking: The 51421 which will run you $409.00 shipped. Then the stainless R1 at $656.00 shipped. So we're up to $1,065.00 for the two guns plus the transfer. So far so good.

The I'll throw a Kimber out there (cue Kimber hate in 5,4,3... ) because I like them. How about a Kimber Stainless TLE II which would be a wonderful first or second 1911 to start building your collection with. $1,048.00 shipped.

So if it was a friend of mine I would campaign for him or her to go with the first choice. Maybe put that Kimber on layaway in six months or a year.

My $0.02, for what it's worth.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:17 PM

What is a "biginer"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgar View Post
A biginer is one less than a triginer.

johnfritz,I do not hate all Kimbers;only the two 3-inch Kimbers I used to have. Sold them(to a Gunsmith) for half of what I paid for them;and,was happy to do so. I'm sure the full-size Kimbers are much better than those two "single-shots" I had. Yes,it took twice for me to learn. Slow learner.

OP,best of luck with with whichever gun you decide on. It's a great time to buy 1911s! So many choices. Ditto holsters and belts.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfritz View Post
I suggested the R1 over the 51421 but only if money wasn't an issue. And then I followed that up with (if ya got the cash) how about buying a stainless R1 and the Rock. Two nice guns, two flavors. Not much over a grand which is what the next step up from the basic Kimber Stainless Custom II would run you.

Here's what I'm thinking: The 51421 which will run you $409.00 shipped. Then the stainless R1 at $656.00 shipped. So we're up to $1,065.00 for the two guns plus the transfer. So far so good.

The I'll throw a Kimber out there (cue Kimber hate in 5,4,3... ) because I like them. How about a Kimber Stainless TLE II which would be a wonderful first or second 1911 to start building your collection with. $1,048.00 shipped.

So if it was a friend of mine I would campaign for him or her to go with the first choice. Maybe put that Kimber on layaway in six months or a year.

My $0.02, for what it's worth.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

I will try to get the pistols from these guys. They have a great deal for RIA's nice.

Thanks,
Roman
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 PM

Good luck to you Roman, come back and update this thread when you get your gun(s) and show us what direction you went in.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I was first considering purchasing a Beretta 9mm, then the 1911 cough my field of view. And I'm very interested in purchasing a 1911 as my first firearm? Are there any suggestions. Something nice and reliable that dose not have a lot of plastic parts? I looked at the colts and the Springfield and they look good to me. The colts are a bit expensive? Any suggestions or comments. Should I try to handle a .45 prior to purchasing one?

Thanks,
Roman.
I will tell you the same thing I tell all first time 1911 owners. You should try and stay away from the fancy guns with all the “goodies” and stick with a basic MIL SPEC pistol, i.e. Springfield MIL SPEC, RIA standard, Remington R1, etc.

The reason being is that when you have a basic 1911 you will then realize what you might want to improve in both the firearm and your shooting as a posed to buying a 1911 with every bell and whistle and then realizing that some of these bells actually get in your way.

Also these pistols are bargains not $1000 + machines that will make a beginner nervous about working on his firearm. Purchasing a cheaper basic 1911 will make you feel more comfortable about working and modifying it. Now I am not saying all 1911 owners need to know how to build a custom gun from scratch, but I have always been surprised at how many 1911 owners do not know or feel comfortable performing a detail take down.

Yes...I did mention working on your pistol. I am a very firm believer that all 1911 owners need to have good knowledge of the mechanics of the 1911 as well as basic gunsmithing knowledge for the 1911.
The 1911 can be more reliable and more accurate than any other pistol on earth but it does require a bit more attention and up keep.

Your in the right place though. This forum is full of very knowledgeable and helpful people always willing to lend a hand.

Good luck. 1911s are amazing machines and they have a way of developing bonds with their owners .

Last edited by s197shockwave; 06-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Prices are up a bit in the last few years, but, Colt's Combat Elite or even just the XSE Govt Model is quite attractive.....

(A few pages back, somewhat mentioned S&W's M&P45.....not to talk anyone out of a 1911, but I will mention the M&P45 I own is simply one flawlessly functioning pistol, and recoil is not any more significant than in 1911s weighing 10 ounces more.....; my M&P has a thumb safety, ....because I like them!)
Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s197shockwave View Post
I will tell you the same thing I tell all first time 1911 owners. You should try and stay away from the fancy guns with all the “goodies” and stick with a basic MIL SPEC pistol, i.e. Springfield MIL SPEC, RIA standard, Remington R1, etc.

The reason being is that when you have a basic 1911 you will then realize what you might want to improve in both the firearm and your shooting as a posed to buying a 1911 with every bell and whistle and then realizing that some of these bells actually get in your way.

Also these pistols are bargains not $1000 + machines that will make a beginner nervous about working on his firearm. Purchasing a cheaper basic 1911 will make you feel more comfortable about working and modifying it. Now I am not saying all 1911 owners need to know how to build a custom gun from scratch, but I have always been surprised at how many 1911 owners do not know or feel comfortable performing a detail take down.

Yes...I did mention working on your pistol. I am a very firm believer that all 1911 owners need to have good knowledge of the mechanics of the 1911 as well as basic gunsmithing knowledge for the 1911.
The 1911 can be more reliable and more accurate than any other pistol on earth but it does require a bit more attention and up keep.

Your in the right place though. This forum is full of very knowledgeable and helpful people always willing to lend a hand.

Good luck. 1911s are amazing machines and they have a way of developing bonds with their owners .

Thanks for the advise.

I really appreciate it.
I do believe getting a simpler gun like RIA GI would allow me to work more on it and learn more about it and the rest I guess will go with experience.

This forum is really great and people are very nice and knowledgeable.
Even if its +/- opinion about a product it is still someone with experience and it has logic behind it.

I guess If I'm lucky enough I will get a chance to try more then one 1911 in order to make a less biased decision.

Thanks Everyone.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
Prices are up a bit in the last few years, but, Colt's Combat Elite or even just the XSE Govt Model is quite attractive.....

(A few pages back, somewhat mentioned S&W's M&P45.....not to talk anyone out of a 1911, but I will mention the M&P45 I own is simply one flawlessly functioning pistol, and recoil is not any more significant than in 1911s weighing 10 ounces more.....; my M&P has a thumb safety, ....because I like them!)
Colts are pricy but they do look good.
And people do have high esteem.

I will have to consider into my option the price and of course the availability.
Since I live in NY some pieces may be hard to get some guns will be quite overpriced. So that will be my consideration.

Thank you so much for the advice.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 AM

I would look at the Sigs. I love Colts, but the Sigs are way more bang for the buck. You can get a well equipped Sig for under $900 and a similarly equipped Colt would probably run about $1400.

Last edited by jeepman1320; 06-17-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:24 PM

1st 1911 on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by TClark22 View Post
Maybe a springfield GI or mil-spec
+1, best choice in my opinion.

Remington R1 not a bad choice as well; have inspected a few and the fit and finish are excellent.

Last edited by kvtcomdo; 06-17-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 PM

I know I'm late to this thread, but had to throw in my 2 cents. I've always thought that a 1911 is a perfect gun for a beginner, or at least one with an interest in shooting and/or with mechanical apptitute. The thing that makes it great for beginners however, is how easy it is to shoot well. It is heavy so absorbs recoil, has a long sight radius, a trigger that makes it easy to shoot well, etc. I always laugh at those bright folks who recommend a small, cute 2" j-frame revolver for a beginner. Talk about an experts gun! In any case, I think many guys are intimidated by the 1911 and choose a modern, plastic, striker fired gun that has no safety or hammer, etc. as their first gun. I'm not sure why this is, but I guess some think they need to dip their toes in the shallow end before swimming where it's deep and fun. Field stripping a 1911 is easy as well or is for anyone with at least a smigion of mechanical apptitude. As for a particular brand, I would strongly recommend a basic Colt Series 80 5" 1991 (modern day version of the GI 1911 A1). They come in blue or stainless. Ingoring the high end brands, Today's colt is an excellent gun of high quality and one that will always command a premium over the "me to" companies.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 PM

I like my Remington R1S with a long trigger and Pachmayr grips on it. Ordered some Harrison fire control parts that aren't strictly necessary but it's my carry gun and why not?

Tom
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetPsychWars View Post
I like my Remington R1S with a long trigger and Pachmayr grips on it. Ordered some Harrison fire control parts that aren't strictly necessary but it's my carry gun and why not?

Tom
That is the stainless steel one?

Thanks for the feed back.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batex View Post
I know I'm late to this thread, but had to throw in my 2 cents. I've always thought that a 1911 is a perfect gun for a beginner, or at least one with an interest in shooting and/or with mechanical apptitute. The thing that makes it great for beginners however, is how easy it is to shoot well. It is heavy so absorbs recoil, has a long sight radius, a trigger that makes it easy to shoot well, etc. I always laugh at those bright folks who recommend a small, cute 2" j-frame revolver for a beginner. Talk about an experts gun! In any case, I think many guys are intimidated by the 1911 and choose a modern, plastic, striker fired gun that has no safety or hammer, etc. as their first gun. I'm not sure why this is, but I guess some think they need to dip their toes in the shallow end before swimming where it's deep and fun. Field stripping a 1911 is easy as well or is for anyone with at least a smigion of mechanical apptitude. As for a particular brand, I would strongly recommend a basic Colt Series 80 5" 1991 (modern day version of the GI 1911 A1). They come in blue or stainless. Ingoring the high end brands, Today's colt is an excellent gun of high quality and one that will always command a premium over the "me to" companies.
Thanks for the encouragement.

If I save up a little I think Its a good platform and colt is good brand.
Yea would be nice to get something US made.
I also lost job due to outsourcing and hoping that buying US will at least keep some jobs that are skilled in the US.

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,
Roman.