1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Kimber Custom II?

I'm in the market for an entry level 1911. A local gun store has this Kimber custom II at a very good price. however after reading the reviews it seems kimber went cheap with this model and put MiM parts in it instead? And is it true it also has a series 80 firing pin block? Anyone has experience with this model can give me some insight here? I just dont' want to spend more money changing the internal to make it a real Kimber quality. I have my eyes set on this gun or the SW1911 E-Series. I'm really leaning toward the SW right now after reading about the MiM internal of the custom II
Old 05-17-2012, 12:02 PM

If Kimber cheaped out I sure can't tell. I use mine for USPSA Single Stack and have somewhere right around 48,000 through it with no parts breakage.

Here's a picture from a few years ago. The only thing I did was add an ambi-safety (which is a Kimber part) and radius and polish the existing extractor and very slightly break the chamber edge of the barrel throat.

1911 Lefties who don't use ambi safeties - Member #1

Last edited by Nathan King; 05-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM

Nothing wrong with a Custom II or the Schwatz safety in it. I've owned the Custom II in the matte black and stainless (Stainless II). I sold the matte black one after getting a Ruger SR1911.

Last edited by crashoverrideplik; 05-17-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Research all production gun manufacturer's and you'll find out that everybody's using MIM. Notice I said production guns, I'm not talking semi-customs or high end.

What is your fear regarding MIM? Is it from what you've heard on the internet?

You won't go wrong getting the Custom II.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
I'm in the market for an entry level 1911. A local gun store has this Kimber custom II at a very good price. however after reading the reviews it seems kimber went cheap with this model and put MiM parts in it instead? And is it true it also has a series 80 firing pin block? Anyone has experience with this model can give me some insight here? I just dont' want to spend more money changing the internal to make it a real Kimber quality. I have my eyes set on this gun or the SW1911 E-Series. I'm really leaning toward the SW right now after reading about the MiM internal of the custom II
All Kimbers as well as other production guns have MIM made parts. Are you familiar with what Metal Injection Molding is? Are you aware that S&W was one of the first gun companies to use MIM made parts?

Kimbers do not have a Series 80 firing pin block. They have a Swartz block which is completely different.

I'd suggest you spend a LOT more time looking into guns before you buy one.

Last edited by Kruzr; 05-17-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I go by my own experience only.

There is nothing " cheap " about the Kimber Custom II when it comes to quality craftsmanship, quality feel of construction, and quality performance.

I used to own Colts and Springfields, and am still a fan of both BUT when it comes to perceived quality, those two brands took a back seat to my Kimber Custom II and Gold Match II.

If you go to the Smith and Wesson subforum, you will read some issues too, namely: slide stop rubbing the frame, thumb safety rubbing and scratching frame, loose & floppy triggers, etc. etc. There are several posters there unhappy with their newer SW 1911s. And the CS service are nothing to brag about either.

Point is, most manufacturers can have issues. What you read in the internet, though can be helpful, should be taken with an open mind and should not be considered as dogma.

Buy the Kimber, chances are, you will not be disappointed.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Sorry if I sounded like I was trashing the Kimber. I know kimber is an amazing brand. And yes I did read about the MiM parts on the internet and fear of the sudden breakage. Don't mean to be cocky or anything but I major in Engineering (got my Associate, pretty close to B.S) and I used to work on injection molding for awhile so I'm pretty familiar with what MiM is. Thanks for the info though everyone. I think you have make me less worry about the MiM breakage issue. That was just the only thing I'm afraid of. I do have a friend at work that also been convincing me to go with the Kimber. The Kimber does have a pretty appealing price at my local gunstore. It's only $668 there right now. I know nothing when it comes to 1911. I've just been a fan as of late and want to get an entry level 1911 for plinking. Going back to the store today to hold them both again. Will decide on how I feel when I hold them. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 PM

I have a Custom II Stainless in .45, it has eaten about 4k rounds, and knock on wood, I have had zero problems with it. Not one FTE,FTF, never failed to lock back the slide on an empty magazine, and probably a hundred more problems you can think of, this weapon has been flawless. I have also run some pretty cheap ammo through it and still no problems.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxer View Post
I have a Custom II Stainless in .45, it has eaten about 4k rounds, and knock on wood, I have had zero problems with it. Not one FTE,FTF, never failed to lock back the slide on an empty magazine, and probably a hundred more problems you can think of, this weapon has been flawless. I have also run some pretty cheap ammo through it and still no problems.
Do you just use the Kimber stock magazine? or do you get one of them fancy Wilson combat magazine?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:

...... It's only $668 there right now. I know nothing when it comes to 1911. I've just been a fan as of late and want to get an entry level 1911 for plinking. Going back to the store today to hold them both again. Will decide on how I feel when I hold them. Thanks for the info everyone.
Hi luan87, welcome to the Kimber forum, always glad to welcome a newbie to the Kimber line.

$668.00 for a brand new Kimber Custom II is really a good price nowadays. I got my Kimber Custom II slightly used (150 rnds from the previous owner) for $700.00 back around November 2010. Factor in my state and locality which is always higher than anywhere else.

I too was afraid to jump in to Kimber because of the many negativity in this forum and everywhere else. But there comes a point when we all have to say," the hell with it ".

Just over the weekend, I was checking out several LGS comparing many 1911s, and still, the Kimber has the best consistency among mainline production brands.

Hope you get your Kimber soon, so you can join our discussion on a SOLID FOOTING.

Good Luck
Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Yeah after much reading I'm leaning toward the Kimber now. The only thing I would eventually change out on it is the sight since it's all black on the custom 2. I prefer to have at least 3 dot sight.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah after much reading I'm leaning toward the Kimber now. The only thing I would eventually change out on it is the sight since it's all black on the custom 2. I prefer to have at least 3 dot sight.
That's an easy fix with a call to 10-8 performance. Get the U notch rear and your choice of a front sight. I'd recommend the brass bead. It makes for a really nice quick and easy shooting window.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you might want to consider to go with Custom TLE II http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/cu.../custom-tle-ii. This model is exactly the same as Custom II but will have very nice Meprolight night sights installed out of the box in addition to 30 LPI front checkering, which I personally really like. On more broader note, people tend to post more about their negative experience or various issues where there are not as many posts praising reliability or overall positive experience. Here is my testimony:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=363544

I am now over 700 rounds through and I have had 4-5 FTFs, which occurred early and only with Kimber's 7 round stock magazine. No issues of any kind for 400-500 rounds now once I switched to Mec-Gar 8 round magazines http://www.mec-gar.com/Magazines/1911/MGCG4508PF exclusively. I hope, this helps.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Do you just use the Kimber stock magazine? or do you get one of them fancy Wilson combat magazine?
I use the Kimber stock magazines and I also like the Chip McCormick magazines, these have functioned perfectly.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 PM

The Custom II is a great pistol for the money. Mim parts are not an issue to me. Anything can break and if it does you replace it. I have over 10,000 rounds thru my stainless Custom II Target without any failures. Accuracy is good and on par with any of the Kimber models.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Less than 24 hours till im a kimber owner. Its a compact. Cdp ultra ii. Wish it were a full size but I want a 1911 conceal carry gun. Rented a similar one and loved it. I don't know if it was stainless or not. Rubber grips no front checkering and base sights. It shot like a dream and had no issues. Though the first case ejected with the sharp edge right into my forehead.

I have a sig scorpion im pursuing for a full size combat 1911 but my target 1911 choice will be a kimber. I've seen one team match ii and it was in my former state of ny.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM

Custom II is a great gun. The TLE II would be a great choice also.

NRA Member
Colt Lightweight Commander, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Custom TLE II RL,Kimber Ultra TLE II, Kimber Raptor Pro II SS.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 PM

As said above, there' nothing wrong with a Custom II or MIM parts.

The Custom II is just a base gun. Functionally it's the same as most all other Kimber's but does not have some of the additional features like front strap checkering, some don't have night or 3 dot sights etc. Other than the "features" it the same parts that make the same gun.

I'll also agree wiht comments above, the Custom II is probably the best value there is unless you want other "features". It's an all steel full size 1911. Nothing wrong with that.

Someone mentioned the TLE, if you want checkering, that's likely to be a better deal as the cost difference should be about the same or less than having it done and the frame refinished. Frankly, if I were in the market for a full size, I'd be getting a Custom II and if I felt I needed something grippy in the front strap, I'd use skateboard tape.......if I didn't send it off to be fully transformed.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:

I use the Kim Tac Pro mags, you can pick them up for under $20 on the armory's website.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Just the regular Kimber mags is what I had been using. I also use the very cheap Shooting Star, the factory SA & Colt mags, and a few Kim Pro Tac mags. All of them are excellently reliable in my two Kimbers, I see no need to waste my hard earned money on the Wilsons.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Custom II here also eh. Fine piece, don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise. I have a pretty deep stable of auto pistols, and the Custom II holds it's own with the ~Higher~ end brands.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:04 AM

Got the custom II yesterday $750 after BGC and taxes. It is the best price I have seen on this gun brand new so far.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Congrats on your Kimber. You might look at the meprolight sights. My TLEII has been a dream. ( It even still has the external extractor. )
To me, Glock's "Safety Action Trigger" makes about as much sense as putting a car's emergency brake underneath the gas pedal.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Got the custom II yesterday $750 after BGC and taxes. It is the best price I have seen on this gun brand new so far.
congrats....
welcome to the kimber CII club.

here's my CII...purchased over 4 years ago nib for 599+tax/DROS.
spend money saved on ammo or another 1911 or another....never put all eggs in one basket if you get my drift

By zdagon52 at 2012-04-07

By zdagon52 at 2012-05-10

Last edited by zdragon52; 05-19-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:08 PM

OP, congrats, I am happy for you!

Ed, where are you getting those awesome grips???
Closed Thread