1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Ordering a Colt Gunsite Pistol

That's it, tired of waiting for a Colt Defender! And my new Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle needs a suitable companion. I've sold my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special (gasp!) and am using the cash to buy a stainless Colt Gunsite Government Model.

I am calling Gunsite tomorrow. Hopefully they will do some minor alterations to the pistol before they send it. I'm going to see if they will change out the slim grip bushings for regular, put a long trigger and an arched mainspring housing on it. I'll pay the up-charge of course. I'm just wondering if they will do that. It's hard to find a gunsmith in my area. Anyone know if they will do this?

So I'm looking forward to giving them a call tomorrow. I hope they are still on sale!

Last edited by zenner22; 05-14-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM

Just looked online and they use to have a link to the colts...now i don't see it. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 PM

http://www.gunsite.com/main/proshop/...ervice-pistol/

http://www.gunsite.com/main/proshop/...t-gunsite-cco/
Old 05-14-2012, 03:04 PM

Sorry to be nosy ....why would you sell the TRS to get a Gunsite? I have a Colt Gunsite...great piece, but wouldn't a TRS be considered another level or two higher?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks deercop did not see the link when i looked. 1250 not too hateful for a semi custom.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyunker45 View Post
Sorry to be nosy ....why would you sell the TRS to get a Gunsite? I have a Colt Gunsite...great piece, but wouldn't a TRS be considered another level or two higher?
Ah yes, I did anticipate this question. The TRS is a true custom made pistol, I even had them do some minor changes to the TRS platform when I ordered it new about 2 years ago. Nice gun, never had a problem, but I never really "bonded" with it either, if you know what I mean. I never grew attached to it.

But I have always loved Colts and have been reading about Jeff Cooper and Gunsite since the 80's. A Colt Gunsite 1911 is something I look forward to owning and passing down. I admit I'm hypnotized by the raven on the slide! Add a Colt pony and you just about have the perfect pistol, don't you?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM

zenner,I have always thought about getting a Baer,Brown,or Wilson;but,I guess I'm just brainwashed after many years of having Colts.

I just put more money into customizing the Colts and call it good. Never even fired any of those other guns. Doing so might change my mind;but,I do believe in the "bonding thing. I even had a Colt I couldn't bond with and sold it. It's not something I can explain.

Last edited by Shad Roe; 05-14-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 PM

I really like my Gunsite pistol. And after taking a class up there with it, I feel like it fits what I need it to do perfectly. You will not be disappointed with one. A CCO from the school is my next pistol purchase.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:34 PM

A nice lady from Gunsite returned my call, I believe her name was Sue? She said the Colts are still on sale and that they could change the specs of the pistol to my liking. She is going to email me back a quote but it doesn't sound like it will be too bad.

I also asked a few other questions while she was on the phone, in particular about Tom Selleck's Gunsite pistol he uses in the Jesse Stone series. It is, as I suspected, NOT a S&W Gunsite but one built from the ground up for him about 12 years ago. He sends it in from time to time for maintenance or gets new grips for it if his are getting beat up. Interesting stuff!

I asked if they could build me one and she said they don't build guns anymore, just sell ones they've licensed through manufacturers. They will do cosmetic alterations to them however, kind of like what I requested.

So they are sending me a quote and I'll call them back tomorrow (getting close to closing time) and I'll order it up.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenner22 View Post
but I never really "bonded" with it either, if you know what I mean. I never grew attached to it.

But I have always loved Colts and have been reading about Jeff Cooper and Gunsite since the 80's. A Colt Gunsite 1911 is something I look forward to owning and passing down. I admit I'm hypnotized by the raven on the slide! Add a Colt pony and you just about have the perfect pistol, don't you?
I completely understand. Right or wrong, I only have Colt "1911s" myself.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Hey that's a great looking pistol! Hope to have one very similar to that in a couple weeks. How do you like it? Any issues?

Did it come with an extended mag release? The lady at Gunsite thought it did, but I have the feeling it's the standard Government Model one.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:57 PM

I changed the front Heine plain black sight to a Hine Night Sight. My gun has been 100% reliable with both practice ball and carry JHP's. I also have their CCO, which I feel is a far better buy than Colts retail or Talo model. The Gunsite CCO is a Series 70 firing system, with Novak sights.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
How do you like it? Any issues?

Did it come with an extended mag release? The lady at Gunsite thought it did, but I have the feeling it's the standard Government Model one.
Love it!

No issues, no hiccups.

Bought it used, and haven't changed anything, so assume the mag release is stock.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyunker45 View Post
I completely understand. Right or wrong, I only have Colt "1911s" myself.

Beautiful Colt!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 PM

anyone have personal pics of the blue colt gunsite pistol?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:20 AM

Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 AM

Very nice Colts, deercop!

Take care,

Rick
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM

:d
Attached Thumbnails
Carry Combo 004.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM

Do you know which type of finish is on the blued model?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 PM

I believe it is a matte blue like Colt used to put on the ORM 1991s.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Zenner did get it ordered. If so how about info on what you had done, cost, and how long. For us nosey forum members.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Well unfortunately they took my info but did not email me back a quote! I will contact them Mon or Tues. I will order it once I get the price.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM

I had 2010 Colt Gunsite pistol. They will feed ANYTHING .45ACP. Built for reliability. Accuracy, not so much. Series 70, but trigger was nothing to brag about. Mechanically certainly better than many, but it is obviously a 'Combat',
hit center mass, shooter. It is Custom, and nice, but IMO lacks the sophistication of other Customs, (but it cost $ substancially less too).
I'd NEVER swap my TRS for one. Period. It is a remarkable bargin compared to Colt, off the shelf pistols. I'd like to have another..... and....like EVERY Colt I have ever owned, call the 'smith, spend the money, and have it perfect. Trigger and action job, fitted barrel bushing, 10-8 rear sight, big dot xs front sight. Clean up the mag well, and decent grips.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
It is Custom, and nice, but IMO lacks the sophistication of other Customs, (but it cost $ substancially less too).
I'd NEVER swap my TRS for one. Period.
Well, I have had much better luck with Colts than you. None of mine have needed reliability work or trigger jobs. Accuracy has been just fine with them too. Well, all except for that 1970's Combat Commander I had many years ago. Couldn't hit anything with that one!

Like I said, I've got nothing against the Baer it has operated fine just like it's supposed to. It just didn't do anything for me.

But, hey, great news for Baer lovers! Keep an eye on Bud's Gun Shop website, there will be a very gently used TRS for sale in the next couple weeks.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Well, I have had much better luck with Colts than you. None of mine have needed reliability work or trigger jobs. Accuracy has been just fine with them too. Well, all except for that 1970's Combat Commander I had many years ago. Couldn't hit anything with that one!

Like I said, I've got nothing against the Baer it has operated fine just like it's supposed to. It just didn't do anything for me.

But, hey, great news for Baer lovers! Keep an eye on Bud's Gun Shop website, there will be a very gently used TRS for sale in the next couple weeks.
Read my post, Colt Gunsite lacks NOTHING in reliability. I'm not young and strong anymore so I need sweet trigger for accuracy. Remember it's one good shot, not lots of good shots.
(lucky if I get one!)