1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 05-12-2012, 03:33 PM

Sig style ambidextrous safety

Hi all,

I have a Traditional 1911 TACOPS with ambi safety, which is great as I'm left handed.

I just purchased a 1911 Ultra Nitron, but unfortunately, it doesn't have an ambi safety. I really like the ambi safety that is on the TACOPS, especially the length, it isn't really long like most traditional ambidextrous safeties I've seen on S/A and Kimbers.

Where can I get the same style safety for my Ultra?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:38 AM

I dont have the answer but I had a similiar question. I want ambi safeties for my sig full size that will work with my crimson trace grips. I hope your finding your answer will give me mine.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 AM

Would the TACOPS ambi work in the Ultra? If so, I would imagine you could get another one through Sig.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:36 AM

Give the Sig Academy pro shop a call. I'm sure they'd sell you one. It should work but likely would need some fitting, same as any ambi safety.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontRangeFuzz View Post
Give the Sig Academy pro shop a call. I'm sure they'd sell you one. It should work but likely would need some fitting, same as any ambi safety.
I'll give that a try. Someone on another thread somewhere indicated that Sig didn't want to sell them the safety itself, instead wanting to do the install at Sig (which according to Sig's website is stainless only)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM

Well, I gave the Pro Shop a call, and they do not sell the ambidextrous safeties. I asked if a standard 1911 ambi-safety from say Wilson or Ed Brown will work and the guy I talked to seemed to think so.

So, I ask to all, will an after market 1911 ambidextrous safety fit, specifically, is the pin through the slide the correct size?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:02 PM

That's too bad. Any normal 1911 safety should fit. The holes are all standard size. You could always go with a Wilson unit and have it bobbed slightly to more closely resemble the Sig part. I plan on swapping out my slide stop lever and firing pin stop with Wilson stainless units and having them IonBonded (only $5-$10 per part) so that the finish matches. You could probably do the same thing with the ambi safety.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder
Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontRangeFuzz View Post
That's too bad. Any normal 1911 safety should fit. The holes are all standard size. You could always go with a Wilson unit and have it bobbed slightly to more closely resemble the Sig part.
That sounds great.

Quote:
I plan on swapping out my slide stop lever and firing pin stop with Wilson stainless units and having them IonBonded (only $5-$10 per part) so that the finish matches. You could probably do the same thing with the ambi safety.
Since the Ultra Nitron only has the IonBond on the slide, the frame is anodized alloy, I'll see if I can get away with just a blued part.

Thank you for your help
Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInVb View Post
Since the Ultra Nitron only has the IonBond on the slide, the frame is anodized alloy, I'll see if I can get away with just a blued part.

Thank you for your help
Ahh gotcha. Not too familar with the Ultra's yet, although one is on the eventual wish list. Even if the bluing doesn't look right, I'm sure they can slap some IonBond over it so no loss there.

Post a pic when you get it done, I'm curious as to how closely it will match.

And you're welcome!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Well, I gave the Pro Shop a call, and they do not sell the ambidextrous safeties. I asked if a standard 1911 ambi-safety from say Wilson or Ed Brown will work and the guy I talked to seemed to think so.

So, I ask to all, will an after market 1911 ambidextrous safety fit, specifically, is the pin through the slide the correct size?
Call Brownell's 1-800-741-0015. and talk to one of there many staff gunsmiths.
They will be happy to answer your question and sell you what you want!

NRA Life Member
NYSRPA Life Member
And All Around Nice Guy!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essy View Post
Call Brownell's 1-800-741-0015. and talk to one of there many staff gunsmiths.
They will be happy to answer your question and sell you what you want!
Ok. Thanks
Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'll give that a try. Someone on another thread somewhere indicated that Sig didn't want to sell them the safety itself, instead wanting to do the install at Sig (which according to Sig's website is stainless only)
I have just finished having an ambi-safety installed on my RCS by SIG. I can confirm that while SIG's website does say it is stainless, this is referring to the material and not the finish. My RCS is two-tone, and they installed a new set (left and right) in same black finish as the original. I am a satisfied customer.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Sig will install one for you. That's the only way to get one.

FWIW, there are far better alternatives out there.

Not a disgruntled former Sig employee.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM

I ordered a safety, mag release and slide lock lever from Sig. Had the parts in 1 week. For my Sig Ultra Two tone.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:

I just did one an hour ago, wilson fit perfect.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
I just did one an hour ago, wilson fit perfect.
Hate this right out of the barrel as my first post but I am curious as to how well this has worked. What are the parts and cost to do this? I am looking to buying a used Sig 1911 that is non-ambi safety.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:08 AM

So far so good

I answered your message a little bit ago when I saw it too
Old 09-20-2014, 09:00 AM

B-Rad... daaaayum... that's one fine looking Sig...
Hope to make mine look that awesome soon....
Old 09-21-2014, 05:55 PM

The short Sig Ambi safety is the only ambi safety I like. For the most part, extended levers simply get in my way.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP Racing View Post
The short Sig Ambi safety is the only ambi safety I like. For the most part, extended levers simply get in my way.
Same here. Might just have to ship it back just for that.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 AM

Standard ones work, you might have to do a little work on your grips for one though, two of my sig ultras don't have the undercut grips, one came with slim grips that is cut. I prefer pinned over the standard but don't recall seeing any bobbed ones.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:16 PM

Mueschke safeties come in colt GI clone size or their extended which is about the size of SIG's safeties. I thought they might be Mueschke's at first , they also come with the pins to hold the right (ambi) side lever in place more securely.
Brownells only carries the Gov't style, but the extended I'm sure can be found by googling!

621-145-101WB this should be the Brownells # for the SS one, hope it helps
Since God is for you, who can ,succesfully , be against you! Romans 8:31
COTEP 0566

Last edited by jcc7x7; 09-23-2014 at 03:19 PM.