1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM
SISKIMBER SISKIMBER is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 107
Buffalo Bore 45acp 230gr+p very nice




Picked up some SD for the Kimber... JHP 230gr.... very nice quality much nicer than the Corbon... will shoot some this weekend...

Buffalo Bore has some very nice ammo....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 PM
knifeguy knifeguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9
post back and let me know how it shoots. I have used buffalo bore in my revolvers and liked it. Might have to try it in my 1911
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 AM
baccusboy baccusboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 928
Unlike Double Tap, Buffalo Bore's ammo actually does live up to its claims.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Dieselman Dieselman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oregon Farm Country U.S.A.
Posts: 767
What bullet is loaded into your ammunition? Gold Dot, Montana Gold, something else? I ask because I have read many complaints about Buffalo Bore on another forum where people ordered the product based on a picture on Buffalo Bore's website of ammunition loaded with Speer Gold Dot bullets but when they receive their ammunition it is loaded with inferior Montana Gold target bullets instead. Wich in my opinion as well as many other folks opinions have absolutely no business being loaded in ammunition used for defensive purposes. This being said I emailed Buffalo Bore for clarification on whether or not this was true. The response I got back from them left me feeling like Tim was being condescending and intellectually dishonest about his product and I chose not to deal with buffalo bore for this reason.

Here is a copy of what i sent him and the response i got back....

Hi,

I am writing in regards to product SKU 45-230/50 45acp +P JHP ammunition. What bullet do you use in this loading? I am interested if it's a Speer 230gr Gold Dot but some people say they received ammunition loaded with 230gr. Montana Gold target bullets. Which is it?

Thank you
James E.



And Here is Tim's response.....

Both are correct. We use Gold Dots when we can get them because sooooooo many folks are brainwashed into thinking Gold Dots are better. ( and Gold Dots are good) When we can't get Gold Dots we use the Montana Gold Bullet. Right now, we have Gold Dots in stock. This link may help you. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=86

Tim


Ok here's the problem I have with this situation. First he is indirectly calling me, a potential customer, "brainwashed" because I prefer a bullet with a proven track record and also approved by Doc Roberts. And secondly he is trying to convince me that Montana Gold Bullets are just as good. Well everything I have read about Montana Gold says that they are accurate for target shooting but piss poor at expanding and retaining their weight. They are not a defensive bullet and they are not on Doc Roberts recommended list or on anybody elses either for that matter. This just rubbed me wrong so I ended up purchasing from Underwood Ammo instead. I haven't received my underwood ammo to evaluate yet, but when I do, I'll report back
__________________
Ecclesiastes 10:2
Exodus 22:2

Last edited by Dieselman; 05-09-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
SISKIMBER SISKIMBER is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 107
I have heard nothing but great reviews with Buffalo Bore..... I have Corbon DPX and Corbon JHP.. all great ammo..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM
HungrySeagull HungrySeagull is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,176
I have gone through some boxes of the stuff from BB. I had no issues with the ammunition.

I found the 185 +P in .45 a fun load to shoot.

There is one potential issue in the .38 special +P. One matches the cylinders inside the Ruger LCR and one similar but different stock number (I think short barrel, cannot remember) does not fit.

ASYM and Ranger T LE Surplus (Similar to the PDX Bonded; if not the same) are the other ammo that fires really good. Particularly the ASYM.
__________________
Colt XSE Gov't Tritium sights and various Wilson Combat parts.
Platinum Plus Member USCCA
Old Dogs can learn new things.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Dieselman Dieselman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oregon Farm Country U.S.A.
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SISKIMBER View Post
I have heard nothing but great reviews with Buffalo Bore..... I have Corbon DPX and Corbon JHP.. all great ammo..
As far as Buffalo Bore making their advertised velocities, then yes, from what I have read here and elsewhere, I think they do meet their claims. Good reviews that claim BB makes advertised velocities are all over the internet.

However when shipping products with bullets different than shown on their website and substituting target quality bullets in place of premium defense bullets is where they get poor reviews. If I am paying over $50.00 a box for premium defense ammunition from buffalo bore and they ship me cheap plinking bullets instead, that's unacceptable with me regardless of whether or not they hit the velocity mark
__________________
Ecclesiastes 10:2
Exodus 22:2
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Rifter's Avatar
Rifter Rifter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Posts: 4,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselman View Post
What bullet is loaded into your ammunition? Gold Dot, Montana Gold, something else? I ask because I have read many complaints about Buffalo Bore on another forum where people ordered the product based on a picture on Buffalo Bore's website of ammunition loaded with Speer Gold Dot bullets but when they receive their ammunition it is loaded with inferior Montana Gold target bullets instead. Wich in my opinion as well as many other folks opinions have absolutely no business being loaded in ammunition used for defensive purposes. This being said I emailed Buffalo Bore for clarification on whether or not this was true. The response I got back from them left me feeling like Tim was being condescending and intellectually dishonest about his product and I chose not to deal with buffalo bore for this reason.

Here is a copy of what i sent him and the response i got back....

Hi,

I am writing in regards to product SKU 45-230/50 45acp +P JHP ammunition. What bullet do you use in this loading? I am interested if it's a Speer 230gr Gold Dot but some people say they received ammunition loaded with 230gr. Montana Gold target bullets. Which is it?

Thank you
James E.



And Here is Tim's response.....

Both are correct. We use Gold Dots when we can get them because sooooooo many folks are brainwashed into thinking Gold Dots are better. ( and Gold Dots are good) When we can't get Gold Dots we use the Montana Gold Bullet. Right now, we have Gold Dots in stock. This link may help you. http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...duct_list&c=86

Tim


Ok here's the problem I have with this situation. First he is indirectly calling me, a potential customer, "brainwashed" because I prefer a bullet with a proven track record and also approved by Doc Roberts. And secondly he is trying to convince me that Montana Gold Bullets are just as good. Well everything I have read about Montana Gold says that they are accurate for target shooting but piss poor at expanding and retaining their weight. They are not a defensive bullet and they are not on Doc Roberts recommended list or on anybody elses either for that matter. This just rubbed me wrong so I ended up purchasing from Underwood Ammo instead. I haven't received my underwood ammo to evaluate yet, but when I do, I'll report back
I have considered ordering some .45 Colt from BB, but not now. Far as I'm concerned, his response is inadequate, and not stating that various bullets may be used in the product description is little short of fraud.
__________________
Vietnam Combat Vet - U.S. Navy 1970-1974
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Lt.Smoke Lt.Smoke is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Winchester Va
Posts: 677
I have heard a great mix of Good and Bad reviews on Buffalo Bore Products.... I was considering using the 255 Gr FN rounds for carrying when i go on trips and stuff.... People say they are NASTY ammunition
__________________
My Rock Island 5" Tactical 1911 Completes me
**Bounty Hunter/Armed Security officer by profession**
*Wise man once told me live or die the choice is yours but regardless i want a 1911 by my side*
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
moxie moxie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,115
Disturbing.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Dieselman Dieselman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oregon Farm Country U.S.A.
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
Far as I'm concerned, his response is inadequate, and not stating that various bullets may be used in the product description is little short of fraud.
Well that's kind of how i feel about the whole situation. You know it wouldn't even be so bad if they substituted something else like Remington Golden Saber bullets. At least then you would still be getting a premium defense bullet instead of a target bullet. Or at the very least make it very clear on the website what it is exactly that you are buying ahead of time.
__________________
Ecclesiastes 10:2
Exodus 22:2

Last edited by Dieselman; 05-09-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Dieselman Dieselman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oregon Farm Country U.S.A.
Posts: 767
Hey SISKIMBER, can you post a pic of your newly purchased BB 230 gr?
__________________
Ecclesiastes 10:2
Exodus 22:2
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Laudanum Laudanum is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,513
I usually dont comment on threads like these but ... I agree with moxie; "disturbing" about sums it up.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 PM
chrysanthemum chrysanthemum is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,161
Interesting and enlightening.

I can see, or mostly see, both sides of this.

But I believe that a product should be exactly what was marketed ... or it should be an upgrade.

"Just as good" is a phrase we've all heard many times ... but how often are we really happy with such a response or product.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Life Member

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 AM
SISKIMBER SISKIMBER is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselman View Post
Hey SISKIMBER, can you post a pic of your newly purchased BB 230 gr?
sure no problem
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-10-2012, 12:43 AM
baccusboy baccusboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 928
I am the one who said BB lives up to its claims. I was addressing the fps measurements, but in terms of false advertising with the actual bullets used... yes, they are very guilty of trying to make people think they are selling Gold Dot's when they are loaded with crappy Montana Golds. They've seen enough complaints by now about it -- including from me -- that they know what they're doing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 AM
SISKIMBER SISKIMBER is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 107
230gr<a href="http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii497/KIMBERSIS/?action=view&amp;current=bb001.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii497/KIMBERSIS/bb001.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
Attached Thumbnails
bb 001.jpg   bb 002.jpg  

Last edited by SISKIMBER; 05-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 AM
SISKIMBER SISKIMBER is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 107
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFSVXGNWHKE
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Dieselman Dieselman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oregon Farm Country U.S.A.
Posts: 767
Thanks SISKIMBER for the pics. Those look almost like Golden Saber bullet in your photos but I assume its a Montana Gold bullet. Anyhow, I guess the bottom line here is that as long as you are satisfied with what you have there , then that's really all that matters. I have watched all of tnoutdoors9 videos, I really enjoy the time and effort he puts into them. His amateur research seems to reliably mimic all my amateur research as well. And he does so in an entertaining and understandable way. Happy shooting
__________________
Ecclesiastes 10:2
Exodus 22:2
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 AM
SISKIMBER SISKIMBER is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselman View Post
Thanks SISKIMBER for the pics. Those look almost like Golden Saber bullet in your photos but I assume its a Montana Gold bullet. Anyhow, I guess the bottom line here is that as long as you are satisfied with what you have there , then that's really all that matters. I have watched all of tnoutdoors9 videos, I really enjoy the time and effort he puts into them. His amateur research seems to reliably mimic all my amateur research as well. And he does so in an entertaining and understandable way. Happy shooting
Thank you for the heads up... I will NOT use these rounds... I have ordered some Federal HST 230gr+p.. to give a "shot" pun intended lol
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
SISKIMBER SISKIMBER is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 107
Here is a email between Tim and myself.. I was asking about the Montana Golds.. here is his response...Tim Sundles [email protected]
8:03 AM (2 hours ago)


They are wrong. Period. There is so much internet BS/opinion out there, that
it is a losing battle. I would not use a bullet that did not work well in my
ammo...........

Tim



-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:00 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Contact Form Sent

Hi!

A message was sent to you from warren moore on Thu, 10 May 2012 02:00:20
-0400.

Here is their message:

Hi.. I just bought some 230gr jhp 45acp p and have some concerns.. it
appears to have a Montana gold bullet and not a gold dot.. A few people have
informed me that Montana golds and NOT good ammo.... Can you clarify?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 PM
SISKIMBER SISKIMBER is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 107
Wow.. I just sent Tim those 2 pics and he admitted they are MGB.. Tim sounds like a jerk...
Here is his response
Yes that is our ammo loaded with the MGB. I’m still trying to figure out the problem. If someone has told you MGB’s don’t work, they are just repeating something that someone told them, that someone told them, that someone told them, etc. and now everyone knows MGB’s don’t work, right?

I’ve been asked this question about MGB’s a few million times and am simply worn out with it.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Dieselman Dieselman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oregon Farm Country U.S.A.
Posts: 767
You will not be disappointed with the Federal HST load. That is top tier high quality ammo. Perhaps arguably even the best 45 load currently on the market .
__________________
Ecclesiastes 10:2
Exodus 22:2
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Dieselman Dieselman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Oregon Farm Country U.S.A.
Posts: 767
Something else to keep in mind is that I believe some of Buffalo Bore's other products like the 255gr. hard cast and the likes do live up to the stated claims and performance expected. I'm not trying to totally trash the whole company here. If a customer is searching for +p hard ball, buffalo bore is going to make the mark there too. Its just a matter of buyer beware on certain products not all of them. i bet alot of their hard cast revolver caliber loads are excellent choices for people looking for such products. If it wasn't for their shady dealings with bait and switch JHP rounds, I wouldn't have a problem with them.
__________________
Ecclesiastes 10:2
Exodus 22:2
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM
SISKIMBER SISKIMBER is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselman View Post
You will not be disappointed with the Federal HST load. That is top tier high quality ammo. Perhaps arguably even the best 45 load currently on the market .
Seems to have wonderful reviews and not using Montana bullets..lol.

Shame really with the BB stuff... Tim really seems to be angry over this whole thing..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved