1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 AM

North Georgia Reloading

This outfitter comes to the local gun show in Charlotte and I bought a bag of 230 gn .45 ACP bullets ($18.99 for 100) a few months ago. I am a new reloader and now that I am almost done reading my reloading manual (The Speer manual that came with my RockChucker) I realize that I don't truly know if these are plated or what so I am unsure what data to use. I did try emailing them and no response yet, I was just wondering if someone with experience with them could tell me. Or, what if say, you never know, is there some middle ground data that could be used? Thank you in advance- first post.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM

I've bought 500 of their reloads when they come to FL earlier this year and still have some left. After that, I too decided to begin reloasding my own and picked up some Extreme plated 230 RN at a show to try. I compared them to the bullets used in the N. Ga. rounds and they look the same to me when compared to rounds that I know are FMJ. Probably best though to wait for them to confirm for you.

I do have to say my guns don't really "like" the N Ga rounds, they fire and feed fine, but just aren't accurate in my guns. I think they load them with an overall length that is a little too short, about 1.230+/- compared to the 1.260 I am using with the Extreme 230gr RN, which feed fine in my guns, and that seems to affect accuracy in a positive way.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM

A true jacketed bullet will have bare lead exposed on the base. Plated bullets will be completely covered with copper.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 AM

What Alland said, except there are some jacketed that are complete metal jacket (CMJ). Plating is much thinner and a bit softer than a copper jacket, so take a knife to one and see if you can slice away the jacket.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
What Alland said, except there are some jacketed that are complete metal jacket (CMJ). Plating is much thinner and a bit softer than a copper jacket, so take a knife to one and see if you can slice away the jacket.
OK, and if they are plated should I be using similar recommendations from outfits such as Berry's or Ranier?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 PM

If plated, you normally use data for lead bullets. Look at Precision Delta when ready for more bullet. You get FMJ at a much better price. Also very accurate in all my 1911s.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_joe View Post
OK, and if they are plated should I be using similar recommendations from outfits such as Berry's or Ranier?
Right you are.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
I hate to reserect this, but I'm at that point now in reloading. The bullet is completely covered in copper which implies possibly plated as Alland states. However scratching the bottom only reveals more copper and I cannot seem to slice it no matter how sharp the knife which leads me to believe CMJ or TMJ. The material seems fairly hard. So what say you?

Oh, and email to the company was not returned and when calling they say leave a message and we will call you back which my skepticism prevents me from doing .

Thank you in advance