1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW McVay View Post
So it was your choice in holsters to blame, not the gun.
My experience has been that most of the issues people have with IWBing any firearm is holster/belt or lack there of. I am still amazed at the amount of people who when first getting into CCing or firearms get a $300 block and a $10 uncle mikes holster with a $10 belt and complain about IWB and swear that its not for anyone and the worst thing in the world. I have shown the light to some of them by having them put on my setup. Alot of them look at it like this tho. If I spent $300 on a block why would I spend that much in a belt/holster/magazine carrier (my VMII, D-4C, S-4C and Beltman Belt ran about that much), and there is no explaining or showing to them.

"The tree of liberty must be replenished from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

I wear 3 inch black belts, acid washed all cotton 7s for all mankind and thin button down shirts. While some of those thick carry belts, cowboy boots and car hart shirts are certainly a respectable style it is not my style. Not changing my style,

Not knocking it, some of those full stylish thick belt systems are made by some real leather masters. What works for you all does not work for everyone.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James&thegiant1911 View Post
if you call Galco rigs and Milt Sparks poor choices in holsters. Plus I like the idea of having a 10mm as a carry gun.
I call your idea that a 5" 1911 unconcealable ridiculous. Especially when you sight other guns that are concealable and in fact are larger in dimension than a 1911.

EDITED to add: But carry on, whatever works for you.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 PM

My normal garb is jeans/shorts and a tshirt. No skin tight fashionista stuff. A 5" 1911 is extraordinarily easy to conceal. The only thing I can think of that conceals significantly better is a tiny mouse gun. Heck, I've been carrying a G17 in an OWB RCS holster with no funny looks.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on the accuracy part or potential there of but if you think you can pull a 1911 SA faster than a striker poly gun then you would be wrong.
You're still kidding, right? I'd say that's harder to substantiate than your other misnomers.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMP View Post
I carry a LWT Commander (several LWT Commanders) but I have been looking at buying a full size 1911 and just have trouble justifying the purchase.
Ideas ?
Uhm...

Because it's a full size 1911.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
yeah full size 1911s are pointless really for concealed carry, much too big
Generally speaking,

Shootability > concealability.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
You're still kidding, right? I'd say that's harder to substantiate than your other misnomers.
striker guns are going to be a lot faster as far as trigger pull regardless of the human factor. If all things are equal then you are not going to be able to shoot a SA 1911 faster than a striker gun. The physics and travel of the hammer is like a 1/4th of what a 1911 SA pistol is not to mention the shorter barrel making the re-chamber a little faster. Believe what you want to believe and shoot what you want to shoot. I own both of them so it is no sweat off me. My XDM 40 is just as accurate as any of my 1911s costing 2-4 times as much. If it makes you feel better for carrying a 1911, then by all means do it. I just do not like it when people stare or see you are packing. Actually, I do not want anyone to know I am carrying when I am. Why risk it?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I agree with you on the accuracy part or potential there of but if you think you can pull a 1911 SA faster than a striker poly gun then you would be wrong.
Well...Bob Munden draws, thumb-cocks and fires a single action revolver in about a tenth of a second. Never mind that these shots, at speed, are frighteningly accurate.

And there are guys who can do very amazing things with 1911s, draw-speed-wise.

But anyway, if you think real world gunfights are about draw speed, think again.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I call your idea that a 5" 1911 unconcealable ridiculous. Especially when you sight other guns that are concealable and in fact are larger in dimension than a 1911.

Agreed, I CC'd my Glocks when I had em but ever since I have recently had the pleasure of enjoying Milt Sparks products, I have been carrying my Big Daddy Deluxe, stainless TRP EDC in a Watch Six (got two VMII's, too) since it is ever-so-narrow, like the 1911 in nature and 99% of the population doesn't look twice, nothing to see, no imprint in T-shirt or botton up shirt as shown. Shoot, I even end up passing out on the couch for my Saturday afternoon naps and never notice this rig still on. I use a 1.250" belt, too, no problem. Yet another reason I own 5" 1911's, when done right they are just a joy all the way around.

Now I am 6'-4" 275 lbs so that may hide this set-up a lil better than some of the smaller/thinner fellers, but not much, I can assure you.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Son, there is no handgun in the world faster on the first aimed shot than a 1911. You're absolutely wrong. I'll tell you why and this, obviously unlike your statements, is based on factual experience. While you're pulling that striker-fired wondergun and trying to simultaniously aim with those sights and fight that horrendous, long, heavy trigger-pull(Both facts), I'm already sighted and moving through an approximately 5/16ths" long pull at half the pull-weight and sending the round downrange. Friend, I don't know where you've gotten all this BS from but you really need to ignore that total lack of accurate data.
Msgt., USAF,Ret.

Last edited by Dave Waits; 05-09-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Just to further the contention...

I have carried a ParaOrdnance P14/45 for nearly 20 yrs, in a variety of holsters. I passed a field sobriety test without the sidearm being discovered.

At a friend's house, we endured a lecture by a "professional corrections officer" (an acquaintance from high school) that he could spot ANY concealed weapons, and from a distance. The ONLY way to sneak a firearm past him was to have something small enough to cover with your palm, stick it in the crack of your ass, then tuck your shirt in over it... making it completely useless other than as a pacifier if you actually NEEDED it.

After about 45 minutes of the diatribe - with both my friend and his father waiting expectantly for what the knew was coming - I told the "professional" that I personally had not experienced a problem carrying a full-sized FIGHTING sidearm... Lifted my loose sweatshirt, pulled the ParaOrdnance from the Galco NSA holster, dropped the magazine, racked the slide, and handed him the piece for his perusal.... his eyes the size of saucers!

As ol' Col. Cooper would express it... "we have a situation of inadequate experience and/or improper training."

I have even carried a 5" S&W 629 for a decade, before going back to a 1911, the 1911 being the far better FIGHTING sidearm.

Getting down to it, I have even on occaision carried my 4" S&W500 concealed, although that was done primarily just to prove that a HUGE sidearm can be concealed IF you work at it.

I sold my P10/45 because I never carried the thing, prefering the proper sized sidearm.

Some seek the smallest/lightest piece that they can find to carry for the sake of "comfort"; I carry with the intent of having the best FIGHTING sidearm on my side should I ever have to employ it for its proper purpose. With proper training and sufficient experience, there is no sidearm on the planet that gets steel on target as quickly, repeatedly as JMB's 1911.

To each their own, but... after more than 40 yrs of carrying concealed, there ain't nuthin' better.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM

To the above post," A firearm is supposed to be comforting...not comfortable."
Clint smith
Msgt., USAF,Ret.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
Son, there is no handgun in the world faster on the first aimed shot than a 1911. You're absolutely wrong. I'll tell you why and this, obviously unlike your statements, is based on factual experience. While you're pulling that striker-fired wondergun and trying to simultaniously aim with those sights and fight that horrendous, long, heavy trigger-pull(Both facts), I'm already sighted and moving through an approximately 5/16ths" long pull at half the pull-weight and sending the round downrange. Friend, I don't know where you've gotten all this BS from but you really need to ignore that total lack of accurate data.
My XDM does not have a heavy trigger and has a palm swell similar to 1911s. I am not talking about Glocks or M&Ps.

I am not attacking a 1911, again I own 2 of them, but lots of disadvantages to the SA 1911 all around when you are talking about CCW not to mention 45s make my ears ring louder than my 10mm and 40s plus my 10 mm puts a hole twice the size of a 45 and it is a little smaller caliber. I do not worry about messing up a 500 dollar gun compared to a 2 thousand dollar gun. I realize I am on a 1911 forum and I am sure the XDMers talk noise about the 1911 being a dinosaur but I am retro I guess. I can appreciate 1911s, Hi Powers and the rest of the classics while liking XDMs, Sigs, and Kimber solos. Does that make me a jack of all trades and a master of none, maybe but I like to be proficient in several different firearms.

Last edited by James&thegiant1911; 05-09-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Waits View Post
To the above post," A firearm is supposed to be comforting...not comfortable."
Clint smith
Personal experience... slab sided 1911s are as comfortable to carry as ANYTHING on the market. And if the weight of an all steel proper sized 1911 is prohibitive? Massive amounts of remedial PT are indicated! Only time I notice that P14/45 is when it is not on my hip. Oh... and the four extra magazines on the weak side hip? Just sorta balances the load. The belt may weigh 10 pounds but... it carries so very nicely.

I do not believe that you and I are disagreeing... I find it somewhat comforting to know that I can hit any problem hard, hit it quickly, and hit it repeatedly... and to tell the truth, sometimes it IS comforting to lean against that lump of steel on my hip...
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM

What?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
My XDM does not have a heavy trigger and has a palm swell similar to 1911s. I am not talking about Glocks or M&Ps.

I am not attacking a 1911, again I own 2 of them, but lots of disadvantages to the SA 1911 all around when you are talking about CCW not to mention 45s make my ears ring louder than my 10mm and 40s plus my 10 mm puts a hole twice the size of a 45 and it is a little smaller caliber. I do not worry about messing up a 500 dollar gun compared to a 2 thousand dollar gun. I realize I am on a 1911 forum and I am sure the XDMers talk noise about the 1911 being a dinosaur but I am retro I guess. I can appreciate 1911s, Hi Powers and the rest of the classics while liking XDMs, Sigs, and Kimber solos. Does that make me a jack of all trades and a master of none, maybe but I like to be proficient in several different firearms.
Dave has the stronger argument. Giant you are spinning. No logic
Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos56 View Post
I carry with the intent of having the best FIGHTING sidearm on my side should I ever have to employ it for its proper purpose. ...there is no sidearm on the planet that gets steel on target as quickly, repeatedly as JMB's 1911.

To each their own, but... after more than 40 yrs of carrying concealed, there ain't nuthin' better.
One of the best postings here today.

True 100 years ago; still true today.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

Maybe some of you all should shoot some XDMs, Hi Powers, Sigs, Smith and Wesson especially the 3rd gens all metal guns before you make comments about how the 1911 is the baddest gun on this earth.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMP View Post
Well I just bought one and I just need a one thing, someones number my wife can call when I tell her its not my fault its the forums, lol.

It should be here sometime this week. I purchased a Smith and Wesson 1911 E Series, full size, Stainless/Crimson Trace.

Get another TTGunleather for it too, you won't know the difference when you're wearing it. I have TTGunleathers for my 3, 4 and 5" 1911s and they all carry comfortably, no printing. I'm wearing one all day, everyday. You're going to love the S&W.

US ARMY-'56 to '65-SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!

Last edited by Dinky Dau Don; 05-09-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Maybe some of you all should shoot some XDMs, Hi Powers, Sigs, Smith and Wesson especially the 3rd gens all metal guns before you make comments about how the 1911 is the baddest gun on this earth.
Used to be issued a SW 3rd gen. It was quite clunky. No thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Quote:
Hmmm, I own a XD along with a couple of 1911's. Also have handled Beretta's, S&W, Taurus and Glocks.

Guess what I shoot exclusively now as well as carry Good ole 1911

Everyone has their personal preference. Enjoy yours and we'll enjoy ours.

Peace
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM

To go back to the original question, yes, I'd recommend a full size 1911 and don't think you'd regret it for a minute.

My first was a 4" Springfield Loaded Champ. Love that gun and still glad to own it. It's in my carry rotation.

Second was a 3" Kimber Tactical Ultra II. The officer grip and shorter slide didn't make it much more concealable (it's still the same width as any other 1911) and certainly not worth the reduction in capacity and velocity. Great gun but I parted with it after about a year.

Then I got a 5" Wilson Combat CQB Elite. It took some time to acclimate to the extended sight radius as I expected it would. Now it's my absolute favorite. It's my dedicated comp gun which is the main reason I don't carry it.

I'll admit I've had a strange fascination with STI's single stacks. I've thought about picking up a Spartan or Trojan as a backup.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
A lot of us have, and still hold our pro-1911 opinion. Throw in Glocks and CZs. Actually there are some all-steel CZs that vie for the title of "sweetest, bestest" semi-auto pistol. And the Hi Power has some wonderful characteristics. But I always go back to the full size 1911 due to its rightness in so many respects. Because I enjoy it the most, I shoot it the most, so, logically, I carry it the most.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Banned

I am going to give up now since my opinion is not popular in the halls of the 1911 homer-ism forum. At least you all do not ban folks any longer for having a different opinion and i can appreciate a custom 1911 as the next guy. However, I can shoot my SW 1076 or XDM 40 w/ laser guard as accurate as anyone of my super duper custom deluxe super carry optioned out 1911 customized Cadillac of a gun and not feel like I am carrying around a huge piece of steel with people looking at me. A bunch of people here would not trust their lives to anything other than a 1911 and certainly those neat little target groupings the manufacturers give you means it must be the most accurate gun around.

Get the guns you like, customize or have the work done you like, shoot those guns and become extremely proficient in them and I do not think you will have a problem when the time comes to handling a situation regardless if you happen to carry a full size 1911.

It is about what you like not what people on a message forum think you should like.
Closed Thread