1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 PM

I wanted an EB and was planning on one for a retirement present for myself. Well things happened for the next two years which put everything on hold. I retired in Oct. 2008. Fast forward to 12/2011. I came across a fantastic deal on a used SF, went to look at it and snapped it up. I've since sold almost every other 1911 I had. I cannot see getting another EB since perfection cannot be improved upon.
Romans 8:18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."
Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Why did I buy an Ed Brown? Because they work.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 AM

Because Ned Brown, Ted Brown, and Fred Brown don't make firearms.

Obviously accuracy, reliability, quality, fit and finish... that's easy to answer. It's worth the money to me over a production gun.

The more difficult question is - why Ed Brown over Wilson, Baer, Springfield Custom, Nighthawk, or one of the many respected custom builders?

For many of us, the answer is simple - we own various 1911's made by various people included in that uppermost echelon of builders.

Some prefer Brown over the rest. Why?

For me... it's a difficult question that I don't really have a good answer for. I have owned 1911's from each maker I mentioned, including custom guns.

Is a Brown "better" than a Baer? Yes, in a way that matters to some. Fit and finish is superior. Most Baer owners will agree. That's why Browns cost more. Whether the extra price is worth the fit and finish is up to the shooter. Baer owners will typically say no, which is fine. I'm not going to say that a Brown is more reliable, accurate, or made of better materials. It's just got that extra care in the details of finish work. For me, it's worth paying for.

Is a Brown better than a Nighthawk, or a Wilson Combat? In any way? Well.... both of those companies offer the same level of fit and finish, more gun options, and at least with WC it's widely agreed that their customer service is the best. I would agree based upon my experience owning two Wilsons in the past.

So I ask myself... why do I have four Browns, no Wilsons currently, and only one Nighthawk?

Well... Brown is classic. The slide stop, the undercut of the trigger guard, it's just cleaner and more classic looking to my eye. I like Snakeskin. I like that Brown keeps it simple, too. There is no accuracy upgrade, or Bullet Proof upgrade, or flat wire spring upgrade (whatever that is). They just build 'em the best they know how, and every gun they build is "top of the line". Works for me. The few custom options you can get on a Brown happen to be some of my favorites on a 1911, like a flush cut slide stop/barrel crown, solid trigger, and 10-8 rear sight. I'm not left wanting for anything.

It's refreshing to find something that is (mostly) out of the box just the way I like it, after having spend substantial time and effort and money working with custom shops to have custom 1911's built for me. In the end, those full blown custom guns, borne of work orders spanning many pages, crafted to the last detail to my liking, ended up awfully close to what Brown gives you out of the box - or at least from checking a few option boxes on the work order.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 AM

And with regard to custom 1911's... I have two, and love them. However, depending on the shop, you aren't getting the customer support that a big shop like Brown can offer.

Furthermore, last year I decided to axe most of my collection and rebuild with high end 1911's and Glocks only. I contact several well known 1911 makers only to be told "wait 6 months and maybe I can build you one" or "wait years and maybe you can get on my wait list". I've seen, shot, handled, and owned those custom guns. Great guns, really. Every serious 1911 enthusiast should custom spec a dream gun at some point. However, like the comparison between Wilson and Brown... there isn't really a difference in quality. So, if Ed Brown can get me as many 1911's as I want, configured the way I like them, in 6 months from date of order, for less money and less hassle... I ask myself why bother. I've shot and owned enough nice 1911's that the experience of having more unique, custom 1911's that nobody else owns doesn't make me feel special anymore. I'll happily have the same Special Forces or Executive Elite that you guys have. It's a fantastic gun, pretty, just what I like in a 1911, and I don't have to write up a build sheet or worry about whether my choices in parts or options will work properly when fitted up.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Game. Set. Match.

Nicely put, Nate.
-Alchemy Custom Target-
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 AM

OK...Short and simple...I love 1911s! I purchased a Kobra Carry to carry with me and protect my loved ones. I don't collect firearms to be safequeens but shoot and carry/use every one of them. However, I expect the Ed Browns will be appreciated and used by my grandchildren.