1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Browning or Liberty Safe?

Need some help in deciding what safe to get. I'm trying to decide between a Browning Sporter and the Liberty Franklin 27. The size for the Browning is 58" X 36 " X 27" and the Franklin is 60.5" X 30" X 27.5". The price difference is only about $125.00 with the Browning being cheaper. Anyone have any experence with either one of them?
Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM

No experience with either. But the primary thing to look at is the material thickness, fire ratings and overall weight as that will give you data on how the safes are constructed.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Also...look at the UL rating

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/c...tymyths/safes/

http://www.thesafesource.com/safe_ratings.htm

http://www.klsecurity.com/ul_fire_rating.htm
Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Depends. Having it delivered and installed, or doing it yourself? If doing it yourself, and all things being equal, some of the Brownings will allow you to remove the door to lighten the load if you have to move it around. The door is the heavier component of the safe. I bought a Liberty but I had it delivered and installed. Plus I got a KILLER deal on it.

The taller safe is useful if you're going to store several Mosins in there. But the larger footprint safes give you more room.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM

I have a liberty safe...never heard of them until Hannity spoke about it. They are both well made so you can't go wrong with either....IMO
Old 05-07-2012, 12:29 PM

I have 2 safes and the Liberty Presidential 50 is fantastic----do not know much about the Franklin. Get the best you can afford---better to cry once and get it over with...
Old 05-07-2012, 02:20 PM

I have 3 Liberty safes in 3 different sizes. Totally happy with Liberty. A Franklin 25 ,Lincoln 50 and a small cube safe that I use as a nightstand. I unlock it every night before hitting the hay and lock it when I get up in the morning. Get the biggest safe you can afford. They fill up FAST!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Which ever door has the thickest front plate, as in the piece of metal that overhangs on the edges of the door (not the mechanism part).

BUY THE THINNER DOOR.

Common misconception that a thicker door means more steel which means more protection.

WRONG.

Odds are the Liberty has the thinner door but could be wrong. The reason you choose thinner is because that 1/4''-1/2'' inch "thin" door is pure steel. Where as a "thick" 1''-1.5'' door is a mixture of metals including steel and is less durable....

I have done a lot of research on safes and found this to be true in almost all cases. There is a lot to learn about these things. Plus Liberty safes are some of the best out there, even their lower priced models.

Not trying to put down the browning but just see if there is any difference in thickness and if there is go thin, man go thin.

Don't hate, Operate!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM

I have a Liberty Lincoln 35 and couldn't be happier. I'd recommend them without question. Just beware that Liberty safes are not built in such a way that the door can be removed, so there's no way to lighten it up for moving. On the other hand, it makes it that much harder to break into the safe.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 PM

i think the browning is made in china,i dont know where the liberty is made.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Most Liberty's are made in the U.S. Some of their lower priced models are China.

Don't hate, Operate!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinkar 105 View Post
Need some help in deciding what safe to get. I'm trying to decide between a Browning Sporter and the Liberty Franklin 27. The size for the Browning is 58" X 36 " X 27" and the Franklin is 60.5" X 30" X 27.5". The price difference is only about $125.00 with the Browning being cheaper. Anyone have any experence with either one of them?
Thanks
I have done a lot of research in the last couple of weeks. I'm about to buy one too. I know it's not your question but I have decided to go with a Sturdy.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montegomx70 View Post
i think the browning is made in china,i dont know where the liberty is made.
The top Browning series safes are made in the U.S. The less expensive series
are made in China. I have a Browning and it works fine for me.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM

Check with your accountant. Many times there is a tax deduction if you keep your tax records stored inside. That may have an impact on your decision.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 PM

I've had a Browning for about 6 years....my BIL has 2 Brownings....I really like their safes, but I would not get a touchpad on any safe......just don't like the idea.....
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 PM

When I was the NRA convention I was checking out the safe makers booths. I am looking at different lighting setups for my Liberty safe (Cabelas Classic/Colonial and love it).

One thing I noticed and this might change the situation...the Browning safes had Liberty tags in them...I did a double take and even pulled out the checklist that had the liberty logo on it with the options listed.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM

My 2 cents

I did this a couple years ago. I went with a Liberty Fatboy Jr. 48 gun. It was available at a local farm store on sale for $900. I wasn't paying over $2,000 for a similar size safe. Look at the specs. and you will see the Fatboy Jr. is almost the same as the Browning Sporter. The Lincoln of course is a better safe but it will be more money because of the upgraded fire rating and thickness of steel. I also got the combo lock instead of touchpad. S&G locks are on most of the higher priced safes and they are one of the best, if not THE best combo lock on the market.

BTW... you will have to bolt the safe down so consider where you are going to put it. When I opened the door on mine the whole safe leaned over from the weight of the door so I bolted it down.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Two Libertys here, one is 15 years old. Very happy!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 PM

I have a National Security with Smith & Wesson stenciling and logo that was purchased new in the 90's. Paid around $900, but looking at the site, looks like I would pay close to $4000 to get the same size, paint, interior, and fire rating. I always thought I would buy a bigger version of what I already have, (one that looks like amazing high end furniture). But now can't get myself to put the money into it. So I just keep double and triple stacking everything.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM

I have a Browning Bronze model residential security container.

I bought it before I did any homework on these residential security containers.
It will keep kids, winos, dinos, crackheads, and general oppurtunistic miscreants out of it for a while.
However I am pretty confidant that I could get into it in about fifteen minutes with some pretty basic tools.
I have upgraded since then. I keep the JC higgins guns and the Rugers in this container now.
My next one will be a Graffunder or a Brown.

My two cents.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 PM

I was originally looking at a Browning Bronze Series or Silver Series, but wound up getting a Liberty Lincoln. When I saw the Liberty in person, it was much nicer looking than I expected. It also has the specs to hold up in a bad situation. I believe both companies make good safes, but Liberty was the best choice for me.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Executive Carry, Special Forces Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Ordered: Wilson Combat: Tactical Supergrade Alchemy Custom: Custom build
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM

Got a Liberty Franklin 25 with combination/S&G key lock about 15 years ago. It's been enough for me;but,as mentioned these are not,technically,a "safe",they are residential security containers.

The Liberty was an upgrade for me;my first "safe"(I still have) is an old "Treadlock" that looks sorta like a coffin.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 PM

Graffunder is the best anything else is just a lock box
Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 AM

We can talk about it all we want, but the proof is in the pry bar. There is a Liberty distributor not far from me. I went there to look at a safe and they had this:

The potential thieves worked on this safe for three hours and never got in. They didn't get a single thing! All they were able to accomplish was to break some tools. Liberty replaced this safe for free. This is the lowest model safe they have.

I bought a Liberty Fat Boy Jr. that same day. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to get that Franklin.

www.blackrivertraining.com
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 PM

Personally I like these. http://www.bearsafes.net/
Unfortunately for most of you they are only made and sold in OK. They also have the best trade in policy of any that I have heard.