1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ruger

Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 PM

Range Report 3 (SD Ammo)

With my first two range reports, I had shot 100 rds. of WWB 230 gr. hard ball each time. The first trip was just about function since I was shooting steel targets, and the second trip was more about accuracy since I was shooting paper targets. The gun has digested a total of 200 rds. of FMJ without a single flaw at this point, so I decided it was time to move on into the self-defense realm and try the gun with the real stuff.

The ammo I had today was 100 rds. of Remington "generic" (green-and-white box) 230 gr. Jacketed Hollow Points (JHP), and 50 rds. of Remington "premium" Golden Saber 230 gr. JHPs. Once again I'm happy to report that my story is pretty boring - the gun performed without a hitch throughout the entire session. Accuracy was checked with a few paper targets, and found to be equal to the results I achieved with FMJ target ammo. There was only one small hiccup when, during a rapid-fire exercise with the Golden Sabers, I allowed my left thumb to bump the slide stop under recoil which caused the slide to lock back with a round still left in the mag. This was NOT the gun's fault in any way, though. I was firing at a metallic silhouette as fast as I possibly could, and my grip was shifting under recoil which caused me to bump the slide stop with my thumb. Premium SD ammo like Golden Sabers have a little more recoil than routine target ammo, and that makes the gun a little harder to control and the grip a little harder to maintain in rapid-fire mode.

After firing all 150 rounds (about 100 bucks worth!) without a single problem, I ended the session feeling quite good about the reliability of the SR1911 using JHP in a CCW/self-defense situation. I think it has proven reliable enough for me to be comfortable using it for a daily-carry gun. I will probably try it with a few other brands of JHPs (I really want to run a 50 rd. box of Ranger Ts through it), but I have plenty of Golden Sabers and the other Remington JHPs I used today on hand, so I'd carry it now in a heartbeat with either of those.

Enough for now, but here's a peek of the day's carnage: