1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 05-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Hammer will not cock?

I have a new Kimber TLE that I needed to put an arched mainspring on. Removing the OEM plastic one was easy. Swapping the mainspring was easy. When I slid the new Smith & Alexander housing back in I lined up the plunger in the hole but I did meet some resistance toward the end but it went all the way in. I put the pin back in and reassembled the gun.

Now the hammer will not stay cocked. I went to remove the housing and see what is up and after removing the pin, the housing will not budge.

1) How do you remove a stuck housing?

2) What could cause my weapon not to cock?

Thanks! J
Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
I have a new Kimber TLE that I needed to put an arched mainspring on. Removing the OEM plastic one was easy. Swapping the mainspring was easy. When I slid the new Smith & Alexander housing back in I lined up the plunger in the hole but I did meet some resistance toward the end but it went all the way in. I put the pin back in and reassembled the gun.

Now the hammer will not stay cocked. I went to remove the housing and see what is up and after removing the pin, the housing will not budge.

1) How do you remove a stuck housing?

2) What could cause my weapon not to cock?

Thanks! J
By only disassembling the MSH you probably allowed the sear spring to slip under the sear, not on top of it as it needs to be.

Remove the thumb safety, MSH, grip safety. Place sear spring in it's place and slide the MSH up to hold in place. Insert the grip safety, force the bottom of the MSH up, insert the pin, cock hammer, install thumb safety.

LOG

Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 PM

I took a rubber mallet and gave the housing a whack and it came off. I followed your instructions and it worked. I safety checked and fired it with no issues. I have no idea what I did wrong but problem solved. Thanks for the help log! J
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 PM

This portion of the sear spring must lay on top. During reassembly keep the pistol upright (muzzle pointed forward) and place the spring in place. Secure as per log's directions.

Attached Thumbnails
Sear Spring 1.JPG  
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
I took a rubber mallet and gave the housing a whack and it came off. I followed your instructions and it worked. I safety checked and fired it with no issues. I have no idea what I did wrong but problem solved. Thanks for the help log! J
Well..If you hadda use a mallet[shudder..] to take the housing back off,you probably did SOME kind of damage to the sear spring,since you didn't have it properly aligned with the slot in the frame the first time.Take it apart again,and give the tab on the spring,and the slot a good examination to see if you boogered it up.Follow Log's reassembly directions to put it back together..And,if you don't know EXACTLY what you're looking at,put in a new sear spring,if it moves out of the slot while you're shooting it,it can go full auto...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 PM

Well I dont wanna go class III so I took your advice and everything looks like new. It was good to repeat the process anyway just to commit to memory. I have replaced mainspring God knows how many times, just never had these issues.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:23 PM

I use a hammer every time, to knock the MSH pin out (I think that's what he meant...I hope).
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerbone View Post
I use a hammer every time, to knock the MSH pin out (I think that's what he meant...I hope).
Nope..Read the first post..The housing was stuck,couldn't get it out..
Old 05-06-2012, 01:59 AM

Ooops, missed that, yikes!
Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerbone View Post
Ooops, missed that, yikes!
Yikes indeed,LOL!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 PM

Relax. I barely had to graze it with the rubber to get it moving. It is just a tight fit. I usually use my thumb to remove a MSH, I am just not strong enough with this one.