1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Sig 1911 vs Kimber

Going to buy my first 1911 soon. Just want to hear your testimonials reguarding the two manufacturers on which one i should buy. Just looking for one that costs around $700-$800. and no posting any problems with the two because we all know they have their problems worked out reguarding early models
Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 PM

Run convincing arguments towards me. i could sway either way
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM

I have owned three Kimbers, and one SIG 1911...I no longer own any of them, but not because I had any dissatisfaction with the SIG. I had the XO railed model, and just decided I didn't care for the rail. I think SIG makes excellent pistols, and they do support their products and have a lifetime warranty. Some 1911 purists don't care for the external extractor, but I don't find it to be an issue...after all, virtually every other pistol made comes with an external extractor (except the SA XDs, IIRC.)

You said not to post negatives, so I can't say anything about Kimber.

If your choices are limited to these two brands, I would definitely go with a SIG.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM

Are both equally reliable and how do both of their finishes hold up to leather holster wear
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneInTheChamber View Post
how do both of their finishes hold up to leather holster wear
The anodized aluminum finish will wear on a Sig. ...................... Troll
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM

looking at getting either of them in nitron or watever finish kimber is
Old 05-04-2012, 03:45 PM

No experience with Kimber but I love my Sig Ultra. The fit an finish is fantastic and the thing is scary accurate. No issues with the gun at all. Did have issues with one Chip McCormick mag but that isn't the gun's fault.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Too much MIM in a Kimber (MIMber) and did not want a Brazilian Springfield is what swayed me to SIG. SIG 1911's are the best value going in 1911's.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikegodtroll View Post
The anodized aluminum finish will wear on a Sig. ...................... Troll

That's pretty funny. All finishes wear with use.

If you don't want any wear, buy a safe queen.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:42 PM

decently appointed kimbers at my lgs seem to be in the $1400 range. both of my sig 1911's were under $1k and very nicely appointed.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Well, I bought a Kimber Pro TLE II about 5 years ago. Love it. Lots of good features that I like. I doesn't have an ambi safety or front serations on the slide and it has night sights and has a very smooth slide to frame fit, in fact the whole gun has great fit and finish.

One week ago, I bought a Sig 1911 XO. It is the Government size 1911 and has exactly what I want. It doesn't have an ambi safety or front serations either. It does NOT have night sights, which I don't need on this gun. I thought my Kimber was smooth. This thing is slick. I just got done giving it it's first thorough cleaning and haven't even shot it yet.

I'm starting to like the Sig a little more. The feed ramp is nicely polished, the barrel is stainless steel and slightly crowned/beveled? on the inside. It is one nice gun.

It also came with two 8 shot magazines, the Kimber came with one 7 shot magazine.

I can't remember the exact price on the Kimber, but I think I paid about $800 new, not including taxes, etc. from Gander Mountain. I think the same Kimber today retails for about $1000.

The Sig cost me $760 before taxes, etc......

I have 300 rounds of asorted ammo to break in the Sig as soon as I get a chance. I will follow up with a reliability report.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by DC Plumber; 05-04-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add current pricing
Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM

I have had a Kimber CII for a while now (2007) Great gun. Accurate for me and I have never had a problem. However, I shot a Sig GSR rental today and have to say, it was just as nice. My advise is to buy whichever you think feels best for your hands. I haven't read many negative reviews about the Sig. Then again, I haven't had any problems with MY Kimber.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 PM

I currently have a Kimber TLE/RL II that I purchased more than a year ago and I can tell you that I absolutely love it and it hasn't given me any problems. I don't have any experience with my Sig Scorpion just yet, but I'll be picking it up on May 8th. From holding the scorpion and racking the slide I can tell you that it felt really well made and from what I can remember it appeared that the Scorpion had a tighter slide to frame fit. I'll be bringing them both to the range soon though
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Si View Post
That's pretty funny. All finishes wear with use.

If you don't want any wear, buy a safe queen.

The reply was in regards to the op's question on how finishes hold up to leather holster wear.
How do you correlate that to me not wanting wear on my Sig C3?
I dont find your post amusing and maybe you should stick with something you know something about.

Quote:
Too much MIM in a Kimber (MIMber) and did not want a Brazilian Springfield is what swayed me to SIG. SIG 1911's are the best value going in 1911's.
By the way. Current Sigs have a few MIM parts also.
1-Magazine Catch
2-Slide Stop
3-Ejector
4-Thumb Safety
5-Disconnector
6-Firing Pin Stop
7-Grip Safety
I imagine the "sig" white dot sites are also.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Can't say anything about a Sig as I don't own one. I just picked up a Kimber Pro Carry HD II in .38 super and out of 50 or so rounds fired today I probably had 40 malfunctions. Not a happy camper. I'll give it a couple of hundred more rounds... . The gun is scary accurate though and it fits my hand perfectly. It also carries very nicely. I'm hoping it just needs to be shot, but for $850 I'd have thought it would do better than it did.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 PM

For the money, Sig got my business. Lots of guys I know carry Kimbers. Some have issues, most don't. Nothing wrong with them. Sig represents one of the best values in the current sub-$1000 1911 market, and competes against guns in the $1500 range IMO.

Nitron/IonBond DLC is a great finish. It's very robust and wears extremely well. Local Sig LE rep showed me a TacOps with 3000 rounds through it and the finish still looked new. While all finishes will wear over time, especially on a gun carried in a holster, I think Nitron wears a little better than say KimPro or CeraKote simply due to the way it's applied to the metal. That is my personal opinion though, and is based on a very small sample size.

You really can't go wrong with either, but you'll save alot of money by going with the Sig. Get a traditional model, and you'll have just as many holster options as any other run of the mill 5" gov't 1911.

Edited to add MIM comparison for an apples to apples looks at things. Kimber, if I remember correctly from some reading I did a few months ago, uses the following MIM parts:

1. swartz safety doodads
2. hammer
3. sear
4. disconnector
5. grip safety
6. thumb safety
7. slide stop
8. ejector
9. plunger tube
10. mainspring housing
11. firing pin stop
12. mag catch

If any of that is inaccurate, please correct me.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder

Last edited by FrontRangeFuzz; 05-04-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontRangeFuzz View Post
For the money, Sig got my business. Lots of guys I know carry Kimbers. Some have issues, most don't. Nothing wrong with them. Sig represents one of the best values in the current sub-$1000 1911 market, and competes against guns in the $1500 range IMO.
I wanna argue with this argumentative guy, but I can't.

+1
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM

Well. For money. And my. Choice. Sig. All the. Way !!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 PM

I own both and like both. I think Sig offers more for you money if you want a soup to nuts comparision.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikegodtroll View Post
The reply was in regards to the op's question on how finishes hold up to leather holster wear.
How do you correlate that to me not wanting wear on my Sig C3?
I dont find your post amusing and maybe you should stick with something you know something about.

By the way. Current Sigs have a few MIM parts also.
1-Magazine Catch
2-Slide Stop
3-Ejector
4-Thumb Safety
5-Disconnector
6-Firing Pin Stop
7-Grip Safety
I imagine the "sig" white dot sites are also.
You might want to check your post in this thread. You only stated that the Nitron finish "wear"s. All finishes "wear".

And Custom2 (who works for SIG) has stated that SIG 1911's have only 5 MIM parts.

Regards.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneInTheChamber View Post
Run convincing arguments towards me. i could sway either way

Most members in this section chose Sig., because we did alot of research and made a thoughtful choice.
I decided on a C3 for its aluminum officer frame, commander slide and Sig quality. There are MANY Sig 1911's to choose from. All are excellent in fit, finish and function. Sig's warranty is great also.
I'm always checking for any internal or geometry issues with mine. Every thing is always nuts on spec. It a very nice weapon, function and features are top notch.
You'll make a good choice if you go with the Sig.................... Troll
Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontRangeFuzz View Post
Nitron/IonBond DLC is a great finish. It's very robust and wears extremely well. Local Sig LE rep showed me a TacOps with 3000 rounds through it and the finish still looked new. While all finishes will wear over time, especially on a gun carried in a holster, I think Nitron wears a little better than say KimPro or CeraKote simply due to the way it's applied to the metal. That is my personal opinion though, and is based on a very small sample size.
3,000 thats it?

Im at about 7,000+ now on my Tac Ops and still looks almost brand new.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 AM

To hell and back!!! I've shot both Kimbers and Sigs and I will always pick A Sig over a Kimber hands down. I own several Sigs and they've NEVER failed me yet and 0 malfuntions
My XOXO Nitron 1911 is something else, I had the acid test done at the range (accuracy tested) that thing is extremely ACCURATE!!! and a Sig will out shoot many before it needs
barrel, slide , trigger , sear spring, replacement. OMG and price is awesome
unfortunately some of my crew have had issues w/ thier kimbers, to be fair it could just be luck .... because I have LEO
friends who love thier Kimbers and have had NO issues.

Last edited by Bvrtail; 05-05-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: got cut off
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 AM

A quick note to Sgt45

It sounds like your recoil spring is too heavy for the rounds you were using.

What ammo was it?

Bob
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSI View Post
3,000 thats it?

Im at about 7,000+ now on my Tac Ops and still looks almost brand new.
It happened to be the one he had with him.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder