1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Underwood Ammunition

Does anybody here have any experience with underwood ammunition? Specifically their offering in .45acp+P using a Speer 230 Gold Dot?

http://www.underwoodammo.com/45acpp2...ntboxof50.aspx
Old 05-10-2012, 02:35 PM

After several long weeks of exhaustive research both on and off the internet, I finally decided to order two boxes of test ammo from Underwood Ammunition.
I was specifically looking for a load using a 230gr. Speer Gold Dot bullet loaded to 45+p specs for a nominal velocity of 975 to 1000 feet per second. After lots of research i found that Underwood ammo was likely my best choice. They advetised velocity is 1000fps. Double Tap ammo offers a similar load, but reviewers have claimed that it doesn't reach claimed velocities. Buffalo Bore offers a similiar load as well, but while it does make velocity, they don't always use Gold Dot bullets and instead substitute Montana Gold target bullets.

Well , today I received my order from Underwood. It came wrapped in a cardboard box wrapped in a B-27 target

The ammunition is new production using Starline Brass. The bullet is indeed a 230 Speer Gold Dot. Overall quality looks very good. I am excited to take this stuff to the range and run it across my chronograph and see how the numbers play out. Hopefully this weekend I will have an opportunity to do so. From what I see so far, I am happy with the purchase. I have never dealt with Underwood in the past and there doesn't seem to be a plethora of information about them on the web like the other two named manufacturers so I do not know what to expect. Stay tuned for more after action reporting once I get a chance to get to put some down range.

Edited To Add - In the spirit of fairness, I must add that my one criticism with the ammo so far, is that the brass is not marked "+P" even though the load is a +P load.

Last edited by Dieselman; 05-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Please keep us posted. I came across underwood last week but didn't buy anything couldn't find much info on them.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Check out the ten ring forum at Glock Talk. Underwood ammo is the preferred 10mm ammo for most. I have 300rd but not had a chance to try it. You will only find praise for underwood.

Doyle
Old 05-11-2012, 07:14 PM

If you actually get the advertised 1000fps for a 230 gr. bullet...that's smokin'.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 AM

Ok folks, I had a chance to go out in the woods this weekend with my chronograph, a bunch of wet newspaper and a pair of denim jeans.

I shot six rounds over my chronograph of Underwood ammo 230 grain Gold Dot +P with my Springfield Armory 5" 1911 and these are the velocities I recorded...
974fps 988fps 985fps 994fps 984fps 998fps.
As a check I also fired four factory Speer 230gr. Gold Dot standard pressure loads and these are the chronograph readings for them out of the same gun...
867fps 846fps 864fps 873fps

Afterwards I set up well soaked sacks of newspaper to a dept of about 30" and through a doubled up pair of old jeans over the front to achieve four layers of denim. I then fired four rounds of the +p Underwood Gold Dot and two Speer factory 230gr standard pressure loads through the denim into the newspaper.

In the photo you will see the top four recovered bullets are the Underwood ammo and the bottom two are factory Speer Gold Dots. The Underwood had an average pentration depth of about 20" into the newspaper and the Speer factory loads were about 16" in dept. Also you will notice that the higher velocity load expanded to a greater diameter than the factory Gold Dots. Overall I was highly impressed with the velocity and expansion of the Underwood ammo. Also the standard pressure rounds did good too.
I am very satisfied with this load.

In this photo you can see four Underwood Gold Dots on the left and two Speer Gold Dots on the right with their cases above. The Underwood all comes very close to 3/4 of in inch expansion. The Speer's are pretty close to 5/8" expansion. Sorry I can't find my calipers to take a more detailed measurement. The cases all look good with no sign of over pressurization. The ammo is accurate too. My informal target shooting into a nearby stump was giving me groupings of about an inch from about seven yards. I'm hoping to get a chance later on to fire a couple at night to observe the muzzle flash. Hopefully Underwood uses flash suppressed powder. It was too sunny and bright to tell yesterday. I feel this Underwood Ammo is good quality and at $30.78 a box of fifty rounds, a good value too.

EDIT TO ADD -

I want to also show you this next picture taken at the same time of my Hornady Critical Defense rounds that I shot into the exact same media as the above Gold Dots and through the same pair of jeans. These are 90gr. FTX .380acp fired from my Kel-Tec P3AT pocket pistol from about 7 yards through the jeans into the wet newspaper.

I am a little disappointed in the performance of the these rounds, however I do realize that .380 just doesn't deliver the velocity needed to make bullets perform well, especially out of short barreled Kel-Tec, so perhaps they would have performed better from a bigger .380 pistol like a Bersa Thunder or Sig 232. We didn't take an official measurement so I can't really tell you how far they penetrated. (It wasn't very deep) but as you can see here, they just did not open up like they should have. Only one round even began to mushroom properly and not very much while the others just sort of deformed and seperated a little. I think I will stick to just carrying FMJ .380 in my Kel-Tec. Oh and the three shots of .380 that I fired across my Chrony came in at 851fps 858fps and 852fps. I believe it is advertised on the Hornady box a muzzle velocity of 1000fps, but they don't tell you the barrel length of the test weapon.

Last edited by Dieselman; 05-13-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:18 AM

It appears that it's good ammunition. Impressive. Thanks for the test and pictures.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:39 AM

Great test!

If my HST's I bought don't feed well for me, I'll try some of these out.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
Great test!

If my HST's I bought don't feed well for me, I'll try some of these out.
Let us know how you like the HST's when you get them. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. However, I have read and researched a lot about them and they seem to be an absolutely excellent choice.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselman View Post
Let us know how you like the HST's when you get them. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. However, I have read and researched a lot about them and they seem to be an absolutely excellent choice.
I have them already (Standard Pressure 230gr). I am out of the country for another 6 weeks or so. Will get to try them then!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM

I've run Underwood's 10MM stuff and it's the real full power 10 load. Very impressive!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Great report, thanks Jimmy.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to update that the HST's were wonderful. They ran flawlessly for me, and were very accurate out of my S&W 1911SC Bobtail.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
I just wanted to update that the HST's were wonderful. They ran flawlessly for me, and were very accurate out of my S&W 1911SC Bobtail.
I love the standard pressure HST 230's! But I also just got some Underwood 38 Super XTP to test out. They were out of Gold Dot supers but I like the XTP a lot too.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Ok folks, I had a chance to go out in the woods this weekend with my chronograph, a bunch of wet newspaper and a pair of denim jeans.

I shot six rounds over my chronograph of Underwood ammo 230 grain Gold Dot +P with my Springfield Armory 5" 1911 and these are the velocities I recorded...
974fps 988fps 985fps 994fps 984fps 998fps.
As a check I also fired four factory Speer 230gr. Gold Dot standard pressure loads and these are the chronograph readings for them out of the same gun...
867fps 846fps 864fps 873fps

Afterwards I set up well soaked sacks of newspaper to a dept of about 30" and through a doubled up pair of old jeans over the front to achieve four layers of denim. I then fired four rounds of the +p Underwood Gold Dot and two Speer factory 230gr standard pressure loads through the denim into the newspaper.

In the photo you will see the top four recovered bullets are the Underwood ammo and the bottom two are factory Speer Gold Dots. The Underwood had an average pentration depth of about 20" into the newspaper and the Speer factory loads were about 16" in dept. Also you will notice that the higher velocity load expanded to a greater diameter than the factory Gold Dots. Overall I was highly impressed with the velocity and expansion of the Underwood ammo. Also the standard pressure rounds did good too.
I am very satisfied with this load.

In this photo you can see four Underwood Gold Dots on the left and two Speer Gold Dots on the right with their cases above. The Underwood all comes very close to 3/4 of in inch expansion. The Speer's are pretty close to 5/8" expansion. Sorry I can't find my calipers to take a more detailed measurement. The cases all look good with no sign of over pressurization. The ammo is accurate too. My informal target shooting into a nearby stump was giving me groupings of about an inch from about seven yards. I'm hoping to get a chance later on to fire a couple at night to observe the muzzle flash. Hopefully Underwood uses flash suppressed powder. It was too sunny and bright to tell yesterday. I feel this Underwood Ammo is good quality and at $30.78 a box of fifty rounds, a good value too.

EDIT TO ADD -

I want to also show you this next picture taken at the same time of my Hornady Critical Defense rounds that I shot into the exact same media as the above Gold Dots and through the same pair of jeans. These are 90gr. FTX .380acp fired from my Kel-Tec P3AT pocket pistol from about 7 yards through the jeans into the wet newspaper.

I am a little disappointed in the performance of the these rounds, however I do realize that .380 just doesn't deliver the velocity needed to make bullets perform well, especially out of short barreled Kel-Tec, so perhaps they would have performed better from a bigger .380 pistol like a Bersa Thunder or Sig 232. We didn't take an official measurement so I can't really tell you how far they penetrated. (It wasn't very deep) but as you can see here, they just did not open up like they should have. Only one round even began to mushroom properly and not very much while the others just sort of deformed and seperated a little. I think I will stick to just carrying FMJ .380 in my Kel-Tec. Oh and the three shots of .380 that I fired across my Chrony came in at 851fps 858fps and 852fps. I believe it is advertised on the Hornady box a muzzle velocity of 1000fps, but they don't tell you the barrel length of the test weapon.

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated! I'll have to check out Underwood ammo.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Went to the range with 2 boxes of Underwood's 124 grain XTP 38 Super this afternoon. Shot it out to 25 yards quick fire doing drills with my Ultralight Carry and still had all of the shots in a 5" circle at the end.

Recoil felt like a stout 9mm does in a smaller gun, but nothing close to .45 recoil and they cycled smoothly. This is an alloy frame, too, so in a steel gun it'd probably be even less recoil.

It shot well. I'd order it again.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 11 boxes of 10mm from Kevin Friday. Had to go to the range and try them out, 135 gr. @ 1600 fps, 155 gr. @ 1500 fps and 180 gr. @ 1300 fps. Great ammo and a great price. Didn't Chrono, ( I don't own one ), but this is very accurate ammo. I ran it through a 6" long slide 10mm I just built without 1 hiccup, customer service is also one of the best ! I'll be buying a lot more from Underwood.