1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 05-03-2012, 03:10 AM

TRS range report (Pic Heavy)

Finally picked up my Les Baer TRS 1.5" and took her to the range for some breaking in. I put 500 rounds through it in about 3 hours of pure enjoyment and still haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face

I brought 500 because of the "break in period" however there really wasn't one necessary at all. I didnt have a single hiccup! I used 3 different types of ammo, 100 Winchester white box, 250 Federal american eagle FMJ, and 150 Remington UMC. 2 types of mags used which were the 3 Baer mags provided and 2 Wilson combat 8 round mags.

Accuracy was excellent and while shooting steel at 10, 15, and 25 yards was a peice of cake and although I missed quite a few it was easily me. I am no target shooter by any means.

I made a thread about the slide being really easy and smooth to pull, today was much the same. When breaking the TRS down I noticed something a little uncommon on Baer's which is the bushing tightness. I could move the bushing by hand easily and didn't even have to use the barrel as a hammer to get the bushing out. Although I'm a little glad it was so simple, part of me also wanted the tightness.

Lockup and overall feel was amazing to say the least, my buddy was there shooting his Kimber and although its a very nice gun its no comparison. There was a guy shooting his Nighthawk there and I must say it was a beautiful gun. It shot great and all but I love the rugged rock solid feel of the TRS and am already planning my next purchase from Mr. Baer cough cough Ultimate Master cough cough.

Alright its late and I havent eaten or slept in forever so enough yapping and onto the pics! As long as the pics work enjoy:

Last edited by lionsden; 05-03-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: embedding pics
Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 AM

Deleted

Last edited by lionsden; 05-03-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Congrats- shoot it in good health. Sounds like you like yours as much as I like mine! I am a bit surprised by you being able to move the bushing by hand, etc.. mine is still a bit too tight and definitely need a wrench to budge it (about the same rd count as yours). The slide has loosened up and is now easier to rack though.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM

Congrats they are great guns.....
Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Interesting observation regarding the not-too-tight barrel lockup and bushing fit.

I have long been of the opinion that the super-tight fit of those parts offers no real benefit to the accuracy of the gun and just makes handling and dissassembly a real "bear" (no pun intended). When I sent one of my TRSs back to Les Baer for a re-finish I requested that they refit the barrel and bushing for a less tight fit and they did as I asked, so I know they will do this upon a customer's request for a modest labor fee.

Didn't Dave Severns note in his recent comparison of high-end 1911s that the 1.5" guaranteed TRS was actually fit less tightly than the standard TRS? Perhaps it's the greater attention to final fitting that makes the difference?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 PM

Congrats. They are great guns. Just went out and ran a couple hundred more through mine today. My other 1911's are getting very jealous.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJMP View Post
Interesting observation regarding the not-too-tight barrel lockup and bushing fit.

I have long been of the opinion that the super-tight fit of those parts offers no real benefit to the accuracy of the gun and just makes handling and dissassembly a real "bear" (no pun intended). When I sent one of my TRSs back to Les Baer for a re-finish I requested that they refit the barrel and bushing for a less tight fit and they did as I asked, so I know they will do this upon a customer's request for a modest labor fee.

Didn't Dave Severns note in his recent comparison of high-end 1911s that the 1.5" guaranteed TRS was actually fit less tightly than the standard TRS? Perhaps it's the greater attention to final fitting that makes the difference?
Yeah I saw that shootout as well and Dave did say the 1.5" seemed to be smoother. Oh well it shoots great and I havent had that much fun with a pistol since... well forever! Here are a few more pics too Im a proud new owner and besides we can never have too many pics right? Oh yeah and a cheap knife too!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 PM

I really need a blued baer
Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Nice report. Thanks for both the review and the pics! Nice grip change too.
Congrats!
Sarge
Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
Nice report. Thanks for both the review and the pics! Nice grip change too.
Congrats!
Sarge
Thanks Sarge and once I can build of the funds jar again I'll be sure to hit you up for some grips!

Tried to send a PM, dont think it went through though.

Last edited by lionsden; 05-04-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 PM

The TRS is one of the best looking 1911s extant today, I don't care what anybody says.