1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM

Duck dynasty

I've been enjoying the new show on A&E called Duck Dynasty. I think this show and Swamp People do a lot to advocate gun sports and the American tradition they represent to the public. Plus, they appeal to my hillbilly roots :-)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 PM

White trash gives me the willies! Can't stand either show for more than about 15 seconds!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
White trash gives me the willies! Can't stand either show for more than about 15 seconds!
Gees, judge much?

Its not like they are meth addicts living on welfare.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
Walter, I came from a similar background and the "do what it takes and have fun at the same time" mentality appeals to me. We grew up poor and southern. Hunting, fishing, gardening, canning and barter were more than 50% of our family economy for much of my youth. My Dad worked with his hands. He could fix or build just about anything. He was a SeaBee in the Philippines during WW II and retired from the Navy. He became a millwright and master welder. He went on to retire from GM. During that time he was wise with his money and taught us to be the same. He NEVER borrowed money. He always said he didn't want to be beholding to another man. We lived on less than we made. Dad accumulated wealth through saving, smart property decisions and conservative investments in our local community. He and my Mom started with nothing. When he died in 1986 he was worth several million dollars but you would have never known it from his home, 15 year old truck or the overalls he wore every day. I'm sure you would have called him "white trash" too. If you did it to his face you wouldn't have been able to do it again. I hope our country continues to breed this kind of independent spirit and I hope yours is not the prevalent view of these hard working folk. Peace, James
Old 05-02-2012, 11:56 PM

Well said FreeMan
Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 AM

We all support capitalism and 2nd amendment.
My question is...Can't these guys afford a pack of razors?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:03 AM

From what I understand, with the exception of Sy, they all have various degrees and are pretty successful folks. Just because a person dresses and acts a certain way doesn't make them ignorant hillbillies. Heck just watch the show and you'll see they all have pretty extensive vocabularies and know what they are talking about. I enjoy the show as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_oil View Post
We all support capitalism and 2nd amendment.
My question is...Can't these guys afford a pack of razors?
I think they said on their hunting show they believe the beards help camouflage their faces for hunting. That is also why they paint their faces with black paint when they hunt.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:46 AM

If they use face camo, why the ratty looking chin spinache? I'm not slamming their intelligence, background or career choice, but their hygiene and grooming leaves a lot to be desired.
It is their right to present any appearance they wish: it is MY right to react how I choose to, when confronted with them.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 AM

Caught a few episodes last night. The guys I work with were telling me about this show. I thought it was pretty funny and entertaining.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter7 View Post
Gees, judge much?

Its not like they are meth addicts living on welfare.
Guess I should have used a "". Didn't mean my post as a serious critique; however, that "poor white trash" act (and I know it's an act) does wear a little thin with me. I see enough of that every time I leave my house!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 AM

I haven't missed an episode, love it. If society lived like the Robersons do, I believe we would be a better one. In every episode, they show the importance of Faith, family, generosity, respect, handwork and fun. I understand its a reality show thats supposed to be humorous, but life lessons are currently on display each time I watch it. Have you seen the respect those grandkids have for their grandpa Phil, "yes sir, no sir". Tough to find that anywhere these days. I think what makes the show is how they live their lives, regardless of their appearance. Two thumbs up from this subdivision yuppie

“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.”
– Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM

The show is doing what it was intended to do!! Provide a level of entertainment.

Look at all the talk and debate it has gotten so far on this forum!!!

One thing that I can say is that they have a TV show and we do not!!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
If they use face camo, why the ratty looking chin spinache? I'm not slamming their intelligence, background or career choice, but their hygiene and grooming leaves a lot to be desired.
It is their right to present any appearance they wish: it is MY right to react how I choose to, when confronted with them.

If that bothers you I would not read any articles about Phil's duck hunting methods. It involves no clothing changes etc for all of duck season.

DPS Certified CHL Instructor
Texas Defensive Firearms Training, LLC
Find us on Facebook
Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM

I like the show, it shows what a person can do with the American Dream. I grew up spending my summers with my Mamaw and Papaw in the hollers of eastern Kentucky.

I hoed and weeded a large vegtable garden and helped can it in the fall. Fished and hunted for dinner too. Papaw had been shot and gassed in WW1 and got a small pension and we had to work to feed the family.

What I wouldn't give for a platter of her biscuits and a mess of frogs!!! Fried up in good ole hawg lard!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:34 AM

Great show with great people!!!! Thats what america is or what use to be about. Starting a company and making it big. You can tell Phil and his brother dont care one way or another about the money. There happiest just being in the swamp taking care of there land.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 AM

This is by far one of my favorite shows on tv right now! Like several have mentioned before......it is for entertainment but there are some awesome life lessons in every show. These Robertson boys are just flat out funny! Last nights episode was my favorite so far! #fearthebeard
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I've met these boys. Confronted with an opinion like your's, they would shrug and ignore you.

They might think to themselves, " 'pinions n pootholes - everybody's got one. Some stink wors'n others."

P.S. They were very clean and mannerly when I met them.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan View Post
When he died in 1986 he was worth several million dollars but you would have never known it from his home, 15 year old truck or the overalls he wore every day.
Then what's the point?
NRA Life Member
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Phil Started that company from the ground and it has gotten huge even before the shows.
They used to have a show on the outdoor channel that was more about the hunting.

These guys know how to have fun yet they do work, look how far they have gotten. I would love to know them and hang out with them.

If I remember right yes they all have college education with the exception of Sy, but I think he joined the military instead of college. He did fight in Vietnam.

Just because they have beards don't mean they don't have hygiene. Some people choose to grow them, I would if I could LOL

Fear the beard, I support the Duckmen of louisiana

ETA: These guys make some of the best duck calls around

Last edited by trapper shrek; 05-03-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Then what's the point?
Did it for his family and not himself.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan View Post
Walter, I came from a similar background and the "do what it takes and have fun at the same time" mentality appeals to me. We grew up poor and southern. Hunting, fishing, gardening, canning and barter were more than 50% of our family economy for much of my youth. My Dad worked with his hands. He could fix or build just about anything. He was a SeaBee in the Philippines during WW II and retired from the Navy. He became a millwright and master welder. He went on to retire from GM. During that time he was wise with his money and taught us to be the same. He NEVER borrowed money. He always said he didn't want to be beholding to another man. We lived on less than we made. Dad accumulated wealth through saving, smart property decisions and conservative investments in our local community. He and my Mom started with nothing. When he died in 1986 he was worth several million dollars but you would have never known it from his home, 15 year old truck or the overalls he wore every day. I'm sure you would have called him "white trash" too. If you did it to his face you wouldn't have been able to do it again. I hope our country continues to breed this kind of independent spirit and I hope yours is not the prevalent view of these hard working folk. Peace, James
My dad was the same -- he left college when my grandfather was killed in the line of duty (he was a highway patrolman) to support my grandmother. After holding grandpa's job for a while, he got a job on an oil exploration crew. He went on to become a top siesmologist and worked in Sumatra, Mexico, Venezuela, Egypt, Etheopia, Peru, Libya, Argentina, and so on. He taught me to save and invest wisely. I'm able to have a nice home, a farm and a comfortable retirement because of his example.

One thing he taught me was, when you want something expensive, figure out what your monthly payments will be and put that amount in the bank. When you have enough, pay cash -- you'll come out ahead.

A funny story -- my youngest daughter (who never met her grandfather) absorbed the same lessons. She wanted a car, found one she liked, figured out what it would cost and saved the money that way.

Now a 5-foot, 3-inch little girl is easy to cheat, and that's what the dealer tried, adding on this and that. She reached in her purse and pulled out the amount she was willing to pay -- in $100 bills -- and waved it at him. "This is all I'm paying. Take it or leave it."

He almost fainted -- but she got the car she wanted at her price.

The apartment building she lived in was sold -- to a crook. He went to jail. She called me, "I don't know where to send my rent payments."

I said, "Open a savings account and put your rent payments in that account. Hold on to your lease. Someday someone will come around and you'll have the money and the lease."

She lived there for four years, and finally the bank foreclosed. They never asked for back rent, so she took the saved money and made a down payment on a cooperative apartment and moved into a better place that she owns.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp42 View Post
What I wouldn't give for a platter of her biscuits and a mess of frogs!!! Fried up in good ole hawg lard!
Man, you got me with that. I sure do miss my Grandma's homemade biscuits and porkchops fried in Crisco. Of course, I miss her more than the food.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
My dad was the same -- he left college when my grandfather was killed in the line of duty (he was a highway patrolman) to support my grandmother. After holding grandpa's job for a while,...............................
She lived there for four years, and finally the bank foreclosed. They never asked for back rent, so she took the saved money and made a down payment on a cooperative apartment and moved into a better place that she owns.
Great story, thanks for sharing. An earlier poster asked "..what's the point.." regarding my Dad's modest lifestyle. No need to answer a guy like that because he will never get it. Life is not about being a showoff. Life is about giving back and making it possible for the next generation to do better than you did. There is a guy on the radio named Dave Ramsey. His whole investment strategy is pretty much, "Live like nobody else, so you can live like nobody else." That's the way it was with my family. Mom stayed home and raised the kids. We drove our cars until they wore out. We didn't get our self esteem from what other people thought of our house, our car or our clothes. Needless to say, all I have is a gift from God. He is the one who allows us to have what we have, starting with our health. However, he expects us to be good stewards of what He gives us. Something I recommend to everyone is to start every day reading one Chapter of Proverbs. It is 31 Chapters so every month you can read through the entire Book. It will give you good life lessons to take with you through each day.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Religion is not one of the things we do on this forum.
NRA Life Member
Closed Thread