1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM

Saiga? A good choice?

Fellas, I have a question.. no, Problem...

I saw a Saiga online and it seems to take a 20 round mag (Purchased seperately of course) with semi auto gas without using the pump.

I was wondering should I hold the line until the Keltec gets availible or should I go ahead and purchase this... this ... ugly gun that looks like it will get the job done.

I hate to make a decision without hearing from anyone so inclined. Main job is home defense, truck gun, Breneke Short Field Magnum Slugs and Olin 00 Buck is the primary go to ammo.

Anyone offer any input?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 PM

I have heard lots of good things about the Saiga 12, I had a Saiga AK in .223 and that was a great gun. There is a forum dedicated to the Saiga I believe it is Saiga12.com or something like that. Is it safe to say you are looking for the keltec bullpup shotgun If so Southside gun/Pawn in STL has one new hanging on the wall.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 PM

I have both the Saiga 12 and .410; used to have a Saiga .223 as well.

I have 5, 10, and a 20 round drum for the 12; and practical, asthetic or not, the 12 is a definite fun shooting shotgun. With a mixed drum of #7 birdshot, #4 buckshot, and 00 Buckshot, the target didn't stand a chance. There was not a square inch of paper that was unmolested.

There are a bunch of conversions that can be done to the Saigas including folding stocks, moving the trigger group to add a pistol grip in the "right" spot (i.e. AK Style).

What it really needs with the drum magazine in place is a vertical foregrip though, the drum is big and holding the gun is not easy without the foregrip...

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM

I have the S12. Great shotty BUT....a few things you should know.

1) If you want to convert to a AK look with pistol grip you'll need to have the right amount of US parts added.

2) The aftermarket mags sometimes have to be sanded down just a little around the tab and the rear to fit. It is after all polymer. This takes all of 30 sec - 1 min with some sand paper.

3) They are military shotguns and are meant to shoot full brass buck or slug not low brass bird shot. Often they wont cycle properly with low brass. it doesnt have enough umph to push the bolt back and compress the spring. Some will have no problem with this while most need tweaking to get them to cycle low brass. My has been tweaked and cycles low brass 99% of the time. occasionally it doesnt. But I mainly shoot full brass rounds so its not a problem for me.

4) There is no Last Round Bolt Hold Open. So when the last round fires the bolt closes. Its a bit of a pain to insert a loaded mag on a closed bolt. Most people will put one less round in the mag to have it easier to load. There are companies that can add a auto last round bolt hold open.

I;d take the saiga over the keltec any day. Especially at their current prices. Its different if you're looking at a $150 used pump for HD and the Saiga 12. But these two....Saiga all the way!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Thank you every one.

The last bolt hold open. I feel that is a must because of the way I am, it can be a problem.

Is there a workaround or permanent solution to the hold open issue?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM

There is a solution. First the shotgun comes with a manual bolt hold open. it looks like and is in the same place as the one on the pump shotgun. When your out of ammo pull the bolt back and push the little notch up. This is the factory bolt hold open.

Second option. There are companies that can install an automatic bolt hold open. On the last shot the bolt goes back and is instantly held in place. This i think is around $150 + shipping. Go on Saiga 12 forum and ask. I think one of the companies is Cadiz Gun Works from OH.

After some practice it really is a non issue. Doesnt take any longer then reloading a pump or switching tubes on the keltec. Ok I never did the tube switch but the reload time is somewhree in between those 2.

Last edited by IronFilex; 05-02-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Saiga 12 is a very good choice, i would take it over the KSG anyday. Great thing about the Saiga's is you can make it look the way you want and there is great support at the saiga 12 forum.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 PM

I resolved the 12 gauge issue.

It was neither the Keltec or the Saiga. Just a good old Remmy 870 with the usual stuff for about 600 all done. I knew I would take that one home.