1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Legal & Political News

Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Looking forward to being able to carry in 49 states, (just not the one next door) when the National Reciprocity is passed....

Sadly, I don't think that will happen. at least with the Senate that we have now.
Oh yeah, and with the president we have now too.

I hope that you are right and I am wrong, but...

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM

You know, what most states are saying is that if other states have similar constraints on concealed carry, that they recognize their ccw. It appears to me that what they are saying is we need a SINGLE carry standard nationwide.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw4cam View Post
You know, what most states are saying is that if other states have similar constraints on concealed carry, that they recognize their ccw. It appears to me that what they are saying is we need a SINGLE carry standard nationwide.
We need a single carry standard nationwide that doesn't include training, testing, etc.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Sadly, I don't think that will happen. at least with the Senate that we have now.
Oh yeah, and with the president we have now too.

I hope that you are right and I am wrong, but...

Me too, I'm trying to be optimistic.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
I just got a response from TSRA and they advised all CCW to warn all of the changes that the State of NM has made towards reciprocity. I am saddened that Texas is no longer recognized as well as a large number of States. Here is the link for information.

http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-c...ty-agreements/

I am writing to the Governor of NM and expressing my dissatisfaction of this change.

DPS General Information

(505) 827-9000
Department of Public Safety
PO Box 1628
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1628 (505) 827-3370
Physical Address:
4491 Cerrillos Rd.
Santa Fe, NM 87507 (505) 827-9000

or

Contact the Governor
Dear New Mexicans and Visitors,
I am committed to listening to your concerns and working to answer your questions. Therefore, the Constituent Services division within my office has been directed to professionally and efficiently assist in answering your questions and responding to your requests of state government.
My staff is here to serve you and will do everything they can to address your concerns.
Please do not hesitate to call my office at 505-476-2200 to speak with a Constituent Services representative or fill out the form below and we will contact you in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

Governor Susana Martinez
If I read your reference correctly Texas is still on the New Mexico approved list. There are rumors circulating in my state of Kansas that the agreement also has been terminated but this would also appear to be incorrect.

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way on the link to read the list of approved states.

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637
Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
Here's the link to the governor's site mentioned above

Following is a copy of what I just sent the governor. I intend to also email individual legislators:

Dear Governor,

My name is --------. I live in --------, Kansas, and frequently travel through and vacation in the lovely state of New Mexico.

I have recently learned that one William Hubbard of the NMPDS Concealed Carry Unit has voided New Mexico's reciprocity with the state of Kansas, while Kansas continues to honor the law-abiding citizens of your state who carry a New Mexico concealed weapons permit.

I consider it a travesty that as a Kansas permit holder I am not afforded the right in New Mexico to defend myself while traveling, camping in your state. Therefore I will not spend another nickel in New Mexico until this decision by a single individual is overturned.

Considering your state experienced 142 murders, 958 forcible rapes and 9,412 aggravated assaults in 2010, I do not think anyone could guarantee New Mexico's law enforcement can protect me or my family during a vacation in the land of enchantment.

I cannot imagine your constituents, particularly those whose livelihood depends on out-of-state visitors in the shooting sports, are pleased with this decision.

Please overturn this decision.

Respectfully,

xxxxxxxxxx
Skippy

I am replying to your message individually as I also am from Kansas and as posted above find that Kansas is still on the list of approved states. See the original link in this topic.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfebyte View Post
Appears there are some changes on their web site..

think we are getting their attention?

http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-c...ty-agreements/
The list at this URL, also the URL listed at the topic of this topic:

"New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia."

Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Looking forward to being able to carry in 49 states, (just not the one next door) when the National Reciprocity is passed....
Yeah. Now take a great big,deep breath and don't let it out until that passes. Glad I have a Florida permit,most reciprocity of any CCW permit around.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Jezzzz what a nightmare! If someone does not have the website updated--guess what you go to jail! Not worth the hassle when you travel---just leave it in the truck or car.. Sucks..
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
Jezzzz what a nightmare! If someone does not have the website updated--guess what you go to jail! Not worth the hassle when you travel---just leave it in the truck or car.. Sucks..
Yeah,let's all just get hysterical and soil our undies,and stop carrying.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mannatt View Post
Yeah. Now take a great big,deep breath and don't let it out until that passes. Glad I have a Florida permit,most reciprocity of any CCW permit around.
Bill,my undies already soiled and all wrapped around the axle.

So,does New Mexico see fit to recognize Florida's CCW permits? My apologies;I am getting confused.(again) And,is this subject to change also? What a cluster.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Roe View Post

So,does New Mexico see fit to recognize Florida's CCW permits? My apologies;I am getting confused.(again) And,is this subject to change also? What a cluster.
I lived in Colorado for 18 years.Neighboring NM has always been liberal in honoring the CCW's of other states.I cannot fathom them doing an about face there. Yes,Florida's permit is good there. Every state has a reciprocity list available on their websites.A little research will pay off big in peace of mind when travelling. Some of the reciprocity websites are not current,so caution is in order when referencing them.They don't make it easy for us to follow the letter of the law,and sometimes I think it is deliberate.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 AM

Not that I find myself traveling through NM...well...ever, but they don't recognize Ohio anymore either. When I got my CCW, NM was on the list...and I've only had it 2 years.

Colt 45: The Single Action Army, the M1911, and a liquor
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
Either way, if someone needs to get/be wasted, there's a Colt 45 for the job!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah,let's all just get hysterical and soil our undies,and stop carrying.
Well that is one way to look at it. Just remember no boo hooing if you get caught is a SNAFU and are either hauled in or given a ticket. This whole thig makes me sick that we cannot have a national carry permit!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

Is the reason that NM doesn't accept the permit from some States (GA being one of them) because GA does not have the requirement that you take a pistol safety class before having the permit issued?

When I got my permit in NY twenty years ago I had to take a pistol safety class that was taught by one of the local Sheriffs Dept.'s instructors (I still have the certificate for it) but I did not need to show that to the GA people before I got my permit here. I realize no other State takes a NY permit but would having that training certificate from NY allow my GA permit to be recognized in a State like NM?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedel View Post
Is the reason that NM doesn't accept the permit from some States (GA being one of them) because GA does not have the requirement that you take a pistol safety class before having the permit issued?

When I got my permit in NY twenty years ago I had to take a pistol safety class that was taught by one of the local Sheriffs Dept.'s instructors (I still have the certificate for it) but I did not need to show that to the GA people before I got my permit here. I realize no other State takes a NY permit but would having that training certificate from NY allow my GA permit to be recognized in a State like NM?
Reciprocity is commonly given because the states see a strong similarity between their requirements for CCW and other states whose permits they honor. A basic and reasonable standard to hold to.

Last edited by thearmedrebel; 05-04-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: tone it down a bit.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
We need a single carry standard nationwide that doesn't include training, testing, etc.
It is called citizenship.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 05-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Great list to access the up-to-date states web sites. Thanks! We travel thru most of the western states. My wife and I noted that OR does not have agreements with any states. My wife says what can you except from a state that you cann't pumb your own gas. But they allow truckers to do their own diesel, go figure.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
It is called citizenship.

I agree!!
NRA Life Member
Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Reciprocity is commonly given because the states see a strong similarity between their requirements for CCW and other states whose permits they honor.A basic and reasonable standard to hold to.
Yes, but what makes one State's process unacceptable to another State? Other than the training course required by some States, isn't the background check process and fingerprinting essentially the same?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedel View Post
Yes, but what makes one State's process unacceptable to another State? Other than the training course required by some States, isn't the background check process and fingerprinting essentially the same?

It's all about the training or lack of it.

My state has no training requirement. Other folks tend to think that's like issuing RPG's to 14 year old boys....
NRA Life Member
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's all about the training or lack of it.

My state has no training requirement. Other folks tend to think that's like issuing RPG's to 14 year old boys....
GA doesn't either, but in NY you had to show them a certificate of completion from one of their approved training courses before they would even give you the application paperwork to fill out. You had to pay in advance for the application papers whether you ended up submitting them or not. The training was all classroom though, no live fire training.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Roe View Post

Reciprocity is always subject to change although most states don't change often. See my message about four messages above yours. Florida is on the list that New Mexico recognizes.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Under what authority?

The feds do not have the power.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 AM

[Originally Posted by BillD View Post
We need a single carry standard nationwide that doesn't include training, testing, etc.]

I agree that the feds don't have the power, and I don't think it is a good idea. I believe that some degree of training and testing is necessary.
Jerry
Proverbs 14:34 *śRighteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.