1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM

New M&P Shield. I'm a Beta Tester

I guess I'm a Beta tester now too. I picked a Shield 9mm up this weekend and immediately went and shot 75 rounds through it with zero issues using hollow point ammo. I have owned just about every subcompact single-stack 9mm on the market and have never felt like they fed smoothly enough to be reliable in defensive shooting situations. I've purposefully shot them all using less than optimal grip, transitioning back and forth from strong to weak hand to simulate shooting in a possible disoriented, frightened, and weakened state. The reason I've done that is because I imagine situations that I may have to use a concealed pistol might be in an injured and disoriented condition. For example, I recently worked a criminal case where an assailant attacked a man I his back yard beating him in the head using a rake the bad guy stole from the tool shed. The victim survived luckily but it illustrated the disadvantageous situations law abiding folk find themselves in when beset upon by predatory criminals.

After my firing of my M&P Shield I can honestly say that I feel it has the greatest probability of functioning properly out of all the single stack subcompact 9mm handguns I've owned in a situation where I may be laid out on my butt, concussed, with hands covered in blood from my own scalp. The only thing I can worry would induce a malfunction is some foreign object, like my own body or clothing in a grappling situation, retarding the recoil operation of the slide; as it would with any automatic handgun. So given that limitation, which is uniform to all recoil operated automatic handguns, the M&P's feeding and firing inspire complete confidence. S&W seems to have put a lot of work into making sure the feed geometry is right-on with the Shield.

The trigger on mine is another story. Everyone is raving about theirs but I'm a little unimpressed with my trigger as it feels somewhat gritty with a lot of sudden abrupt let-of after the sear breaks. It's not as good as my stock G19'or my 1911 but it's deffinately better than a long DAO found on other similar guns. I'll probably polish mine like one would any full size m&p to work out the burrs and it will be fine. It's a fine close quarters trigger as
It is, but I think it has potential to be a lot smother.

Last edited by crideout; 05-01-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM

That's great. I've been hoping the shield would live up to the expectations of the bonafide M&P line. I can't wait to get my hands on one.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM

I got rid of my S&W 99, overall I liked the gun, but the trigger was horrible, I ended up selling it because I just couldn't come to terms with how bad the trigger on it was. So the other day I was watching shooting usa and they were previewing the shield and the S&W rep was saying how much time they spent getting the trigger right... Well my LGS just got in a shield and all I can say is that I am less than impressed with the trigger as well. They still didn't get it right, and the 3 glocks I own are still better.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM

I'll probably do the trigger job described here to my Shield.

http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

I bet that will alleviate the abrupt let-off and grit mine experiences.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM

I rented a SHield on Sat and was hooked. I have never even liked M&Ps before, because of their triggers. I like the different trigger on the SHield.

I managed to track one down and got it yesterday evening. I will go shoot it this weekend. If all goes well, I will be selling my PM9 Kahr next week.

I really like this little gun.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM

Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

M&P triggers usualy smooth out with use and the shield is going to be a great competition to the Kahr's. I don't own a S&W M&P but if I was not carrying Glocks for such a long time i would switch to a M&P in a minute.

A friend of mine that is the Chief of Police of a medium size department here in western Washington switched all the department from the Berretta 96 in 40 Cal. to the M&P 40 caliber and he says their scores improved dramatically and the women officers can shoot a lot better. He is one of the best shots I know so coming from him this is very good.

Enjoy your gun.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 PM

I love the M&P line. I've owned the 5'' pro, I currently have the 40c, and I have the shield on order and I'm eying the mid sized .45. I love the ergos on the guns and the stock trigger is much better than the stock trigger in a glock IMO. I found the glock trigger to be a bit mushy. The M&P's trigger isn't perfect, but I do like it, plus I like that it doesn't have the in-trigger safety like the glock has.

If you don't like the M&P trigger, APEX tactical makes great trigger kits that are easily installed at home. They reduce the over travel and give the trigger that audible and tactile click that the glock triggers have. APEX even has a trigger kit that has the safety trigger much like the glock and xd.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM

A great defensive weapon... yes!! Live up to its expectations after everything S&W has done to play it up... I'm not so sure. I was unimpressed with the lack of difference between the shield and the original double stack. Maybe a half inch of total length and a quarter inch of total width... I'd stick with the double stack and carry the extra weight and number of shots... Hopefully, SA has more to offer with the XDs... we'll see...

YMMV

Mike
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siklid View Post
A great defensive weapon... yes!! Live up to its expectations after everything S&W has done to play it up... I'm not so sure. I was unimpressed with the lack of difference between the shield and the original double stack. Maybe a half inch of total length and a quarter inch of total width... I'd stick with the double stack and carry the extra weight and number of shots... Hopefully, SA has more to offer with the XDs... we'll see...

YMMV

Mike
Depends where you carry it, the flatter one also with less weight is easier to carry in a pocket which is the reason I would buy one and the reason I own a Kahr.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshak View Post
Depends where you carry it, the flatter one also with less weight is easier to carry in a pocket which is the reason I would buy one and the reason I own a Kahr.
I will completely agree with you... I'm just unsure of the tradeoff... I guess with the buzz that surrounded the Shield I expected something much more compact than what it really is. To each their own and I still don't deny that it is a GREAT firearm...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM

I've been seriously thinking of picking this gun up, thanks for the info.
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord. -Proverbs 21:31
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM

Apex posted on their FB page that all the "kits" work in the shield. Might need to see what the comp kit would be like in the shield. FYI Apex said not to run a comp kit due to how light the trigger would be for carry. I carry a M&P with comp kit now without any issuesso I'm gonnagive it a try.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
Apex posted on their FB page that all the "kits" work in the shield. Might need to see what the comp kit would be like in the shield. FYI Apex said not to run a comp kit due to how light the trigger would be for carry. I carry a M&P with comp kit now without any issuesso I'm gonnagive it a try.
Awesome. I'm going to go order a kit right now.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 AM

I wanted to look at the Springfield XDs but there is no idea when that will even ship so I might get a Shield. Gotta fondle one first though.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siklid View Post
I was unimpressed with the lack of difference between the shield and the original double stack.
I've owned a number of M&Ps, and always found them comfortable...but the Shield is the most comfortable of them all, IMO. It fits my hand just right. I realize that won't be true for everyone, but I have small hands and even the small back strap on the M&P9c was just barely right...the Shield feels completely right. So much so, that after I bought my first one, I traded my M&P9c in on a second one for my wife.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
I've owned a number of M&Ps, and always found them comfortable...but the Shield is the most comfortable of them all, IMO. It fits my hand just right. I realize that won't be true for everyone, but I have small hands and even the small back strap on the M&P9c was just barely right...the Shield feels completely right. So much so, that after I bought my first one, I traded my M&P9c in on a second one for my wife.
Hi Ken, you used to have the EMP, can you give me your opinion comparing these two guns?
Thank you
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crideout View Post
I'll probably do the trigger job described here to my Shield.

http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

I bet that will alleviate the abrupt let-off and grit mine experiences.
In the instruction to take rear sight off it says remove right to left but the arrow in the picture says left to right. What is the right way, looking from the rear of the pistol?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM

I love the Shield. I've put 750 rounds through mine without one hiccup. After it was good and dirty, I ran a few mags of Federal hollow points and they also fed fine.

It is a great little gun and has become my "go to" gun when I want to carry light.

Btw, I'm a lefty and have no issue operating this gun. I do not use the safety. Not sure why it is even there.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenS View Post
In the instruction to take rear sight off it says remove right to left but the arrow in the picture says left to right. What is the right way, looking from the rear of the pistol?
I don't know the answer to that one. I was going to go do the trigger work underu gunsmith's supervision this weekend. But, after finding out that the Apex trigger kits work on the Shield, I'm thinking I'll go that way instead.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Here's the link to the Apex posting if you are interested:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....bsfMDTSvdaWwkS

If that doesn't work here's the press release.

What we know
When our Shield arrived here at Apex, it had a gritty pre-travel, hard break and relatively long over travel, yet a distinct reset. Upon detailed disassembly and inspection, we noticed the following parts interchangeable between the Shield and the full size M&P.

Sear
Sear Spring
Sear Plunger
Striker Block
Striker Block Spring
Striker Block Washer
Trigger Return Spring
Striker Assembly
Extractor Pin

That being said, our present M&P products were tested in the M&P Shield for function. We put a teaser on our Facebook page on April 25th, that we were testing our new M&P Shield Carry Kit (SCK). Claire, Jon and Scott took the M&P Shield to the Hogue Action Pistol range to fire the first 1000 rounds through the new M&P Shield in order to test our products for the release of the Shield Carry Kit and we will continue to shoot it more in coming weeks. The products we had installed in the Shield for that test were as follows:

Apex Hard Sear
Apex Ultimate Striker Block Kit(USB Kit)
Apex Duty/Carry Sear and Trigger Return Spring (DC Spring Kit)

Through 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass ammunition, the Shield performed admirably, feeding each round effortlessly with zero stoppages of any kind. The Shield was shot off hand with 2 hands, by left and right handed shooters as well as strong and weak hand only.

In the R&D lab, we tested the Shield with our Duty/Carry kit installed and it produced the same results as with the standard M&P series guns. The DCAEK took the trigger pull down from 5.75 lbs. with more than .110" over travel to 5 lbs. with .060" over travel, with a noticeably smoother uptake and crisper break.

The Apex Hard Sear and USB Kit were tested in conjunction with the factory springs in the Shield and we found the results to be the same as with other M&P models we've tested. The trigger pull was brought down to 4.25 lbs. with a smooth uptake and crisp break.

We do not recommend installing the Apex Competition Spring kit or Comp AEK into the M&P Shield as it is a product we feel is best kept with a trigger pull above the 4 lb. mark.

Newsletter Subtitle
Month Year

Apex Products that DO NOT work in the Shield
The Apex Forward Set Trigger and AEK triggers do not work in the M&P Shield. The factory trigger in the Shield is narrower than the M&P triggers. We are presently working on a solid body polymer trigger to replace the factory trigger.

The Apex Failure Resistant Extractor does not function in the Shield. The Shield Extractor is much narrower than the M&P Extractor. We are uncertain at this time if the necessity will exist for a Shield model of the FRE, but we will certainly look into it as time goes on.

The Trigger Pivot Pin in our M&P Shield measures .130 in diameter, which is significantly smaller than the full size M&P. The slave pins we currently offer in our Kits, will not work in the Shield. We are working to produce a slave pin specifically for the M&P Shield which will be included in any kit that requires the trigger to be installed into the frame.

Other Notable differences
The frame rails on the Shield's locking block are certainly stouter than the M&P's. The Sear Housing Block has an additional piece of frame rail on its left side right behind the ejector, which is never a bad thing, the more frame rail surface you have, the better the lockup and overall durability. The frame also has a steel support at the front, just forward of the locking block, which we surmise adds rigidity to the frame to enhance durability.

Final Thought

The M&P Shield is a great little carry gun. Its magazine capacities of 7 and 8 rounds coupled with its slim line body and reliability make is a great carry piece.

To get the latest up to date information on the Shield Carry Kit and other Apex products, Like us on Facebook, follow our Blog or sign up for our newsletter on our Shopping Cart.

Link is not working so here's the press release:

What we know
When our Shield arrived here at Apex, it had a gritty pre-travel, hard break and relatively long over travel, yet a distinct reset. Upon detailed disassembly and inspection, we noticed the following parts interchangeable between the Shield and the full size M&P.

Sear
Sear Spring
Sear Plunger
Striker Block
Striker Block Spring
Striker Block Washer
Trigger Return Spring
Striker Assembly
Extractor Pin

That being said, our present M&P products were tested in the M&P Shield for function. We put a teaser on our Facebook page on April 25th, that we were testing our new M&P Shield Carry Kit (SCK). Claire, Jon and Scott took the M&P Shield to the Hogue Action Pistol range to fire the first 1000 rounds through the new M&P Shield in order to test our products for the release of the Shield Carry Kit and we will continue to shoot it more in coming weeks. The products we had installed in the Shield for that test were as follows:

Apex Hard Sear
Apex Ultimate Striker Block Kit(USB Kit)
Apex Duty/Carry Sear and Trigger Return Spring (DC Spring Kit)

Through 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass ammunition, the Shield performed admirably, feeding each round effortlessly with zero stoppages of any kind. The Shield was shot off hand with 2 hands, by left and right handed shooters as well as strong and weak hand only.

In the R&D lab, we tested the Shield with our Duty/Carry kit installed and it produced the same results as with the standard M&P series guns. The DCAEK took the trigger pull down from 5.75 lbs. with more than .110" over travel to 5 lbs. with .060" over travel, with a noticeably smoother uptake and crisper break.

The Apex Hard Sear and USB Kit were tested in conjunction with the factory springs in the Shield and we found the results to be the same as with other M&P models we've tested. The trigger pull was brought down to 4.25 lbs. with a smooth uptake and crisp break.

We do not recommend installing the Apex Competition Spring kit or Comp AEK into the M&P Shield as it is a product we feel is best kept with a trigger pull above the 4 lb. mark.

Newsletter Subtitle
Month Year

Apex Products that DO NOT work in the Shield
The Apex Forward Set Trigger and AEK triggers do not work in the M&P Shield. The factory trigger in the Shield is narrower than the M&P triggers. We are presently working on a solid body polymer trigger to replace the factory trigger.

The Apex Failure Resistant Extractor does not function in the Shield. The Shield Extractor is much narrower than the M&P Extractor. We are uncertain at this time if the necessity will exist for a Shield model of the FRE, but we will certainly look into it as time goes on.

The Trigger Pivot Pin in our M&P Shield measures .130 in diameter, which is significantly smaller than the full size M&P. The slave pins we currently offer in our Kits, will not work in the Shield. We are working to produce a slave pin specifically for the M&P Shield which will be included in any kit that requires the trigger to be installed into the frame.

Other Notable differences
The frame rails on the Shield's locking block are certainly stouter than the M&P's. The Sear Housing Block has an additional piece of frame rail on its left side right behind the ejector, which is never a bad thing, the more frame rail surface you have, the better the lockup and overall durability. The frame also has a steel support at the front, just forward of the locking block, which we surmise adds rigidity to the frame to enhance durability.

Final Thought

The M&P Shield is a great little carry gun. Its magazine capacities of 7 and 8 rounds coupled with its slim line body and reliability make is a great carry piece.

To get the latest up to date information on the Shield Carry Kit and other Apex products, Like us on Facebook, follow our Blog or sign up for our newsletter on our Shopping Cart.

Last edited by crashoverrideplik; 05-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshak View Post
I have a Kahr PM9, but like the SHield more. I think I'll be selling my Kahr soon, actually.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island 18 View Post
Hi Ken, you used to have the EMP, can you give me your opinion comparing these two guns?
Thank you
Well, the EMP is a completely different gun, other than the caliber...it is a very fine weapon, which is not to say that the Shield isn't, of course. One thing to know about me is that I have sold/traded pistols more often than I change my underwear. When I owned the EMP, my single frustration with it was, at the time, I could not find any aftermarket magazines for it. (I didn't like the follower design of the OEM magazines.) I finally decided I wanted to concentrate my 1911s on full size pistols in .45, so I traded it. I have polymer pistols for general duty and carry.

I know that there may be many who disagree with what I am about to say, but I just wasn't comfortable carrying (or banging around) an expensive pistol when I could carry a similar size polymer with the same or more capacity, and one that I wouldn't cry over if it was banged up, stolen, or seized by the police in the event of a SD shooting. (I mean no criticism of those who do choose to carry the EMP.) Of course, I want the pistol I carry to be reliable and effective, regardless of what it is...and either choice certainly fills that bill.

The EMP is perfect for someone who has smaller hands, and/or wants to carry a small 1911-style pistol. It (or mine did) has a great trigger, and was extremely comfortable in my small hands. SA has great customer service, so it is a pistol that you can buy with confidence...if there are any issues with it, they will make it right.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
Well, the EMP is a completely different gun, other than the caliber...it is a very fine weapon, which is not to say that the Shield isn't, of course. One thing to know about me is that I have sold/traded pistols more often than I change my underwear. When I owned the EMP, my single frustration with it was, at the time, I could not find any aftermarket magazines for it. (I didn't like the follower design of the OEM magazines.) I finally decided I wanted to concentrate my 1911s on full size pistols in .45, so I traded it. I have polymer pistols for general duty and carry.

I know that there may be many who disagree with what I am about to say, but I just wasn't comfortable carrying (or banging around) an expensive pistol when I could carry a similar size polymer with the same or more capacity, and one that I wouldn't cry over if it was banged up, stolen, or seized by the police in the event of a SD shooting. (I mean no criticism of those who do choose to carry the EMP.) Of course, I want the pistol I carry to be reliable and effective, regardless of what it is...and either choice certainly fills that bill.

The EMP is perfect for someone who has smaller hands, and/or wants to carry a small 1911-style pistol. It (or mine did) has a great trigger, and was extremely comfortable in my small hands. SA has great customer service, so it is a pistol that you can buy with confidence...if there are any issues with it, they will make it right.
Thank you Ken for your prompt answer, I guess we think the same way, I own the EMP for more than a year now, but I don't feel comfortable with the EMP IWB for the same reasons.
I carry the Bodyguard .380, and the manual safety is very hard to move in both directions and small. Any comments on your safety?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM

How do the Kahr PM9 and the Shield stand up in size?