1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Banned

Alessi Bodyguard best shoulder holster?

I have been looking for the best most comfortable shoulder holster and heard these are very nice... looking for people who own them for opinions..

I will be ordering very soon... Will be carrying my Kimber Tactical Custom HD ll

They look like works of art....
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM

I haven't tried all shoulder holsters, but I find the harness of the Alessi to be more comfortable than the Galco.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM

I had the Alessi for my full size 1911 for about a week. I will say it had the most comfortable harness out of any shoulder rigs I have tried. The leather harness and mag pouch were a very soft comfortable leather, unlike the plastic-like feeling you get with Galco. The mag pouch side came with a tie down which is a must for full size carry IMO. I did not like the pull thru snap but thats bc I am used to a thumb strap, and honestly did not give the holster enough time to break in. I ordered mine from Brownells, tried it out, then returned it.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 PM

There is no best and many good enough. YMMV

For some purposes my own choice in a shoulder rig might be something from Ken Null. There are others with much to commend them. That said for many purposes most of the time my own choice has in fact been something from Lou. A search will show up much discussion of the pull through - some of it over my own sig - and again YMMV..
Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

Thank you for the replies.. I need a comfortable piece.. I'm 6ft 280lbs not fat.. I wear a 60 jacket... lol....
Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM

I'll agree, it's really comfortable. The pull thru is unnerving, to me anyway, but it really works well. It just looks ominous with no strap. I have tried to make it drop and it won't, but it pulls great!

I bought one expecting I may carry in it and never have other than around the house testing. One of those things I thought I'd use and for whatever reason, just never did. Guess I got stuck in a rut with how I carry.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-01-2012, 02:13 PM

I had a Mitch Rosen and really liked it. I would love to get another one, or an Andrews Monarch rig.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpk03s View Post
I had a Mitch Rosen and really liked it. I would love to get another one, or an Andrews Monarch rig.
Thank you , that Andrews rig seems like a better fit for a large man.. wow $250 yikes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 PM

The Andrew's Monarch is a really good rig, and the fit of holster to gun is just perfect (I think they're all lined, mine was anyway). The only thing I had against it was the snap was very light to the touch (and I don't like a "true" horizontal rig that much).

The Alessi is a far more comfortable harness, as are most of Null's, and the Bodyguard is just a great choice.

This will probably be sacrilege to some, but I highly prefer the way the old Jackass rig hangs, at least for a full-size gun, but really for a commander too. I have not tried Garrity's "Royal Flush," but have a feeling that might be the perfect one for me. But I'm good to go with the Jackass, the RF is mighty spendy, and I've never been able to get a hold of Mark Garrity. I'd sure buy one though!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISKIMBER View Post
Thank you , that Andrews rig seems like a better fit for a large man.. wow $250 yikes
$250's nothing for a good shoulder rig - check out del Fatti's prices http://www.delfatti.com/2011%20SR.html
or a double-gun horsehide from Kramer http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=27
Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post
$250's nothing for a good shoulder rig - check out del Fatti's prices http://www.delfatti.com/2011%20SR.html
or a double-gun horsehide from Kramer http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=27
I just passed out.. LOL
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
SISKIMBER wrote,
I'm 6ft 280lbs not fat.. I wear a 60 jacket.
I'm not a big guy, and I don't have any shoulder holster experience, but would a shoulder holster be the best choice for somebody of your dimensions?

I ask because I don't know, and the experienced shoulder holster wearers may be able to provide some input.

With your comment above, I'd guess you have relatively short arms for your weight and a very large chest which would make a long reach to the pistol across your chest. Additionally, your thickest part is probably your chest, and sticking a pistol between your "lats" and what are probably some pretty large arms, may be a tight squeeze.

At 280 lbs, and not fat, with a 60 jacket, I'd guess your clothes would naturally drape well for belt carry, which may be a better option than a shoulder holster.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISKIMBER View Post
You've shared over an over (including in posts that had to be deleted) how big of a man you are and how big your gun is; now you're admitting you have a tiny....wallet?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 PM

I stopped using a shoulder rig for CCW after my gun fell to the concrete in a parking lot getting out of my car. Numerous other times it had started wiggling loose.

Galco worked for me as far as comfort goes. the allessi was no more comfortable, at least in my case.

It seems that in order to get a high quality shoulder rig that has good retention and carry comfort, you better be willing to drop some serious coin.

To me a good IWB is a far better choice, for soooo many reasons. (once i sat down and thought about it.)

I still use the shoulder rig in a canoe/hiking, but have a lanyard loop to the gun (tied to my belt), and the galco retention strap now. In the canoe there is no room for things being attached to my waist.

Last edited by bjeffv; 05-02-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
You've shared over an over (including in posts that had to be deleted) how big of a man you are and how big your gun is; now you're admitting you have a tiny....wallet?
Stop that. Don't bait me.. It's all good my friend.. no hard feelings..
Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeffv View Post
I stopped using a shoulder rig for CCW after my gun fell to the concrete in a parking lot getting out of my car. Numerous other times it had started wiggling loose.

Galco worked for me as far as comfort goes. the allessi was no more comfortable, at least in my case.

It seems that in order to get a high quality shoulder rig that has good retention and carry comfort, you better be willing to drop some serious coin.

To me a good IWB is a far better choice, for soooo many reasons. (once i sat down and thought about it.)

I still use the shoulder rig in a canoe/hiking, but have a lanyard loop to the gun (tied to my belt), and the galco retention strap now. In the canoe there is no room for things being attached to my waist.
Thank you!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 PM

Location: ARKANSAS-30 min.from Wilson, Nighthawk & GunCrafter Ind.
Anyone know any reason why a Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Compact won't fit in an Alessi Bodyguard holster for a Wilsin Combat Classic? The holster might be a little long, but...