1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Training Talk & Events

Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Just completed Utah & Florida training

Very interesting course taught by a couple of good guys.

http://www.anywhereccw.com/

Now, if we could just get Illinois to join the party.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 AM

I live in IL and I have a Pennsylvania CCW. Its good in about 24 states. I would like to do the Utah/Florida class also. That would cover some additional states, specifically Florida and Wisconsin. My question with the Florida class you have a live fire portion. Is the gun you qualify with the only firearm you can carry or are you ok with other guns too. I was told at a local Gander Mtn that was offering classes the permit was firearm specific.

Just checked USAcarry.com reciprocity map and apperently my Pennsylvania permit is good in Wisconsin. Last time I checked their map must not have been updated.
The only thing about the Penn. Permit I don't care for is it is just a piece of paper with no picture. Looks like something you could make on your computer. I wish it was more of an official ID with picture like a drivers license. It seems an uninformed LEO from another state might be skeptical.

Last edited by markbob45; 04-30-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbob45 View Post
I live in IL and I have a Pennsylvania CCW. Its good in about 24 states. I would like to do the Utah/Florida class also. That would cover some additional states, specifically Florida and Wisconsin. My question with the Florida class you have a live fire portion. Is the gun you qualify with the only firearm you can carry or are you ok with other guns too. I was told at a local Gander Mtn that was offering classes the permit was firearm specific.
With the class I just completed here in Florida the Firearms (.22 semi-auto and a .38 revolver) used during the class were just to show you could handle a firearm safely. it did not tie specifically to your carry weapon. As a matter of fact we fired 5 rounds with the .22 that was preloaded for us and the Revolvers we loaded ourselves, Made 2 shots single action, two shots double action and then a final shot double action and the direction of the instructor.
Remington 870 Synthetic 12ga
Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 AM

I have taught the Michigan CPL class for 10 years. Be very careful when you cross state lines. Many of the www sites and even books out there are VERY wrong about many state laws.

For example Michigan ONLY allows out of state carry in MI. if the license was issued by your state of residence. So even though we "accept" many out of state CPLs... if you are a IL resident any CPL issued to you by another state is useless in MI. And that is a fact for a number of states.

BTW-- we shoot 100 rounds in our CPL classes
M istake
A merica

Last edited by The Shootist; 04-30-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM

In Florida you never know. I did not go to a class because I am retired LEO, but alot of the local classes never even shoot a gun. Some classes last 2 hours at a gun show, some go all day with very good instruction and actual firing of a gun. Really scary when you think about it. Bare basics to get a CCW permit. There is little or no regulation on these classes. There needs to be standardized training for CCW applicants, but i don't see that happening. Alot of people in the class have no idea how to operate their firearm or when they can legally use it, which is the whole idea of the class to begin with. Alot of wrongful death suits looking for a place to happen. Unfortunately the tragic events in Sanford recently underscore the improper use or ignorance of some gun owners. The Florida permit is good in about 37 states now. A few more may have been added recently. Good Luck
COTEP#0029
Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM

In Oregon you don't even handle a gun in the class.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Our state mandated training is very specific... but there are always idiots taking short cuts.

One "instructor" was just charged in the Detroit area for teaching a 10 hour class in 3 hours.... and it included ZERO live fire vs the state mandated minimum of 2 hours on the range.

It's a 4 year felony and $2,500 fine here for him if convicted.
M istake
A merica
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
I have taught the Michigan CPL class for 10 years. Be very careful when you cross state lines. Many of the www sites and even books out there are VERY wrong about many state laws.

For example Michigan ONLY allows out of state carry in MI. if the license was issued by your state of residence. So even though we "accept" many out of state CPLs... if you are a IL resident any CPL issued to you by another state is useless in MI. And that is a fact for a number of states.

BTW-- we shoot 100 rounds in our CPL classes
I saw on the usacarry.com site that my Penn. carry permit is no good in Michigan. I am from IL. I have yet to use my permit (haven't been out of state) but I must admit I am reluctant to take a websites word for anything. Would you suggest calling the state police in the state I'm traveling in before going and talking with someone, check their website? suggestions
Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5074 View Post
In Florida you never know. I did not go to a class because I am retired LEO, but alot of the local classes never even shoot a gun. Some classes last 2 hours at a gun show, some go all day with very good instruction and actual firing of a gun. Really scary when you think about it. Bare basics to get a CCW permit. There is little or no regulation on these classes. There needs to be standardized training for CCW applicants, but i don't see that happening. Alot of people in the class have no idea how to operate their firearm or when they can legally use it, which is the whole idea of the class to begin with. Alot of wrongful death suits looking for a place to happen. Unfortunately the tragic events in Sanford recently underscore the improper use or ignorance of some gun owners. The Florida permit is good in about 37 states now. A few more may have been added recently. Good Luck
Retired L.E. in Florida only have to send in the notarized app and a picture...If you are doing annual re-quals to be compliant with HR218, a new course, CJSTC 86A, was developed a couple of years back and is now the standard state course of fire. The pistol you qualified with will be listed on your qual card.

A couple of years back, the State of Florida also changed the requirements that everyone applying for a permit, NOT L.E. or prior military, shoot a course of fire as prescribed and witnessed by the Instructor signing the certificate.

You will find that the classes at the gun shows will take everyone to a contract range and have them fire their weapon, State requirement. The degree of training/practice one is willing to spend time and money on are dependent on how serious that person is.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuns View Post
In Oregon you don't even handle a gun in the class.
It depends on the class you take, there are a few very good classes that do some range time with the class. But you're right, it isn't mandated by law and most of the cheaper classes just offer the bare minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbob45 View Post
I saw on the usacarry.com site that my Penn. carry permit is no good in Michigan. I am from IL. I have yet to use my permit (haven't been out of state) but I must admit I am reluctant to take a websites word for anything. Would you suggest calling the state police in the state I'm traveling in before going and talking with someone, check their website? suggestions
I'm not saying that you shouldn't, I just personally have not found that to be helpful in my own experience. I have gotten in the habit of going online and checking the government website of the state I'm traveling to and reading the laws myself.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentech05 View Post
It depends on the class you take, there are a few very good classes that do some range time with the class. But you're right, it isn't mandated by law and most of the cheaper classes just offer the bare minimum.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't, I just personally have not found that to be helpful in my own experience. I have gotten in the habit of going online and checking the government website of the state I'm traveling to and reading the laws myself.
The website probably is a better suggestion. A call could get me in contact with a person who is not knowledgable, or worse yet has an agenda of their own.