1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 AM

Llama slide question

I was just wondering if it is possible to use a Llama slide assembly on a mil-spec frame. I have both, but want to make sure it is possible prior to beginning the fitting process.

thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Banned

That is a good question. My neighbor had a two tone late model and we took it apart with a semi mispec gun and tried to see what mixed. I don't remember on the slide, but the barrel and a lot of other parts were different. If I had to guess from memory I would say no.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 AM

The newer Llama or the older, Large Frame Llama?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
The newer Llama or the older, Large Frame Llama?
It was a late production 2003 or so. Not the old style.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 AM
Banned

The late Lama's hve a swartz style FPS so that is one issue and I can't for the life of me remember on the slide. The grip screw locations are different and the barrel is definently different.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 AM

I know the Max 1 that I had was pretty close to Colt Commander size but a buddy of mine had one of the older Large Frame guns and it was totally different then his Colt Gold Cup.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
I know the Max 1 that I had was pretty close to Colt Commander size but a buddy of mine had one of the older Large Frame guns and it was totally different then his Colt Gold Cup.
My neighbor wanted to custumize his an we were trying to see what swaped. I recomended he find a more milspec gun for that kind of thing. It was pretty good all ready as is and we throated the barrel and polished the machine marks out of the frame ramp. We did not change the ramp profile at all and just widened the barrel throat and brought it forward .010-.015 more from the frame or so on the gap. I was shocked when it would feed empty shell cases.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. The Llama frame I have is a much older version commander length. My frame is also commander size. In theroy, I think it could work, but my main concern is the firing pin safety in the Llama slide. I'm not sure it will disengage on a mil-spec frame. I know fitting will be required, I just wanted to make sure it will be functional prior to going through all the work of fitting. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. The Llama frame I have is a much older version commander length. My frame is also commander size. In theroy, I think it could work, but my main concern is the firing pin safety in the Llama slide. I'm not sure it will disengage on a mil-spec frame. I know fitting will be required, I just wanted to make sure it will be functional prior to going through all the work of fitting. Thanks again guys.
Take it out then.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Sometimes it's the most simple solutions that make the most sense... Thanks everyone.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM

I reality anytime you bring a slide and frame together for the first time they'll need to be fit together and lapped in. Even if you get a slide and frame from the same manufacture you still have to fit them.
I'd say give it a try, the worst that can happen is that they don't work together and on the best side they will work. Won't know until you try.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM

Just because they look similar does not mean that they are interchangeable. Llama is not a true 1911 clone. There are lots of subtle differences. Another consideration is the quality of materails and manufacturing process. Llama is seriously lacking there in comparison to other manufacturers. I would not do this even if someone paid me.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 PM

kinda like putting a chruch hat on a donkey right?
always one post away from being banned for life.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Just because they look similar does not mean that they are interchangeable. Llama is not a true 1911 clone. There are lots of subtle differences. Another consideration is the quality of materails and manufacturing process. Llama is seriously lacking there in comparison to other manufacturers. I would not do this even if someone paid me.
I was hinting at that in one of my post's very gently.