1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 06-02-2012, 02:05 PM

My C-Flex and mag carrier are in flight right now.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRY LAMBERT View Post
My C-Flex and mag carrier are in flight right now.
Lucky guy. I have about 5 more weeks.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. D. Van Norman View Post
If my camera hadn’t broken, I could share photos of my new rig.

Nevertheless, the C-Flex for my P220 is essentially perfect.
What color holster did you order? Is that light brown? Also who made the belt and what color did you ask for. I really like the combination.

Thanks
Dan Wesson ECO; Dan Wesson matte SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, Ruger 22/45; Hornady LnL Progressive
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM

The belt is brown horsehide from the Beltman. I think I ordered the C-Flex as “medium brown,” so it was just luck that they matched so closely.

I took my P220 C-Flex rig to a defensive pistol course over the weekend. I received a few compliments, and both the holster and pistol performed flawlessly.

Now, I’ll have to get a natural horsehide belt to go with my Champion rig.

“I revere weapons, because I abhor violence.”

Last edited by M. D. Van Norman; 06-04-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added photo.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 PM

My C-Flex and single mag carrier arrived today!!! Pics to follow soon.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRY LAMBERT View Post
My C-Flex arrived today!!! Pics to follow soon.
Me too...

I am very happy with the quality of this holster, though it is my first 100% horse hide holster. The only thing that seems different is the belt loops are thinner than other holsters like the VM2 or Stronghold. My assumption is that the horse hide used is thinner than the cow hide. Otherwise the 25 degree cant is perfect. Thanks Steven...

Last edited by scott.novus; 06-07-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Swift OWB in black horsehide arrived today. This one is for my Citadel 3.5" compact. I have another Swift for my SA 5". Can't say enough about the quality.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 PM

Just got the word today from Steven. My swift OWB with shark is finished. He sent me a pic and boy did he surpass my expectations.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 PM

I have a horsehide cflex commander from Steven and I love it. I'm ordering another one for my Kahr P9 but I'm not sure if I should get another horse or try the cow. Anyone have both and can you tell me if there is a meaningful difference in thickness? I have it in my mind that the horse w/out mouth reinforced is as thin as possible but will a couple of mm really make a difference? So far the horsehide cflex hasn't collapsed but I don't wear it much. Any thoughts on the cow vs horsehide from owners? Thanks guys.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM

Profhit13, I have both C-flex's. The thickness is about the same between the two. The horse is much stiffer, I took the belt loop on both unsnapped and pulled them back, the horse was much faster returning than the cow. I get more holster fuzz on my front sight with the cow, but I've read that's a common thing with cow leather. If I get some with the horse, it's very small and not enough to cover up the tritium insert on my front sight.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 AM

I ordered a CFlex for my railed Stealth on the 14th of may, black with shark trim. I hope its getting close. I have heard nothing but positive things about his work.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt7680 View Post
Profhit13, I have both C-flex's. The thickness is about the same between the two. The horse is much stiffer, I took the belt loop on both unsnapped and pulled them back, the horse was much faster returning than the cow. I get more holster fuzz on my front sight with the cow, but I've read that's a common thing with cow leather. If I get some with the horse, it's very small and not enough to cover up the tritium insert on my front sight.
Thanks for the info. I noticed that my horse holster isn't as black as one of my other cowhide holsters I got from Nick Matthews. I know the horse doesn't take dye as well as cow so the horse looks a bit more dull when put right next to the cowhide. I also notice I get some of the dye rubbing off the horsehide when wiping it down. The horse probably works best in the natural oil finish but I like an all black holster. I'm leaning towards the cow w/out reinforcement Which do you like better? I don't necessarily need a reinforces holster I just don't want it to end up collapsing completely down the road. I tend to wear my holster all day but only put my gun in it when I leave the house.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophit13 View Post
Thanks for the info. I noticed that my horse holster isn't as black as one of my other cowhide holsters I got from Nick Matthews. I know the horse doesn't take dye as well as cow so the horse looks a bit more dull when put right next to the cowhide. I also notice I get some of the dye rubbing off the horsehide when wiping it down. The horse probably works best in the natural oil finish but I like an all black holster. I'm leaning towards the cow w/out reinforcement Which do you like better? I don't necessarily need a reinforces holster I just don't want it to end up collapsing completely down the road. I tend to wear my holster all day but only put my gun in it when I leave the house.
I prefer the horse with the natural oil finish. It show's the stretch mark's and make the holster unique in it's own way. I look at like finger print's, I haven't seen two with the same marking's. With the horse being stiffer, it would hold longer than the cow plus it's more moisture resistant than cow. Both of my C-flex has the reinforced mouth and I don't think it will be any noticeable difference. In about a month or so when Steven start's accepting order's, I will order my third C-flex. Horse with natural oil and black thread this time. I've seen one and it look's pretty good to me.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I prefer the horse with the natural oil finish. It show's the stretch mark's and make the holster unique in it's own way. I look at like finger print's, I haven't seen two with the same marking's. With the horse being stiffer, it would hold longer than the cow plus it's more moisture resistant than cow. Both of my C-flex has the reinforced mouth and I don't think it will be any noticeable difference. In about a month or so when Steven start's accepting order's, I will order my third C-flex. Horse with natural oil and black thread this time. I've seen one and it look's pretty good to me.
Thanks again. Funny how I got my order in just a few hours before he stopped taking orders for now. I guess this thread contributed to that. My first only took 3 weeks and that was 2 months ago. Now it's more like 6-8 weeks. Good for him. He does outstanding work. I think I'll stick with the horse with reinforced mouth. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks again. Funny how I got my order in just a few hours before he stopped taking orders for now. I guess this thread contributed to that. My first only took 3 weeks and that was 2 months ago. Now it's more like 6-8 weeks. Good for him. He does outstanding work. I think I'll stick with the horse with reinforced mouth. Thanks again.
If I would have stayed away from the gunshow over the weekend I wouldn't need another holster. I went mainly to get out of the house with my dad just to look and we both walked out with new pistol's. I picked up a RIA Tactical Compact 9 mm and for a $500 1911 it's a darn accurate gun.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
If I would have stayed away from the gunshow over the weekend I wouldn't need another holster. I went mainly to get out of the house with my dad just to look and we both walked out with new pistol's. I picked up a RIA Tactical Compact 9 mm and for a $500 1911 it's a darn accurate gun.
The RIAs are solid, especially for the price. This holster thing is really addicting. I had only been buying good leather for all my guns except for the glocks. I thought, eh, they're workhorse guns and don't warrant expensive leather. So much for that. lol. Especially with work like Steven's out there, it's easy to justify fine leather for most any pistol.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 PM

Runt, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see some pics of the horse and cow holsters side by side. No rush and if you have a chance. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wws View Post
Also if I chose to go with a OWB holster such as the Outlaw, does anyone have any experience with this one?

W
Nope, but I will have in a few weeks.

I asked if he offered an OWB that he can customize the cant on, and with his advice I ordered an Outlaw with a 25 degree (FBI-style) cant. That thing is going to disappear under a light cover garment even if I carry it almost at 3 o'clock, I only have to move my C-Flex to about 3:30 to be print-free and it's a 20 degree cant.

Folks, don't forget that's an option on some of Steven's holsters that isn't common with other holsterers. A bit more cant helps me with both concealability (as in, not printing when I bend over) and makes the draw easier for me since I've lost some mobility in my strong-side shoulder. I sometimes regret the Trijicon Novak rear sight, because with a black holster, parkerized 1911 with Pachmayr grips, even if my shirt is open and you can see parts of the rig it's like looking into a black hole except for those two little points of light. Think I'll keep the sight, though, as with most people you could carry the same kind of rig openly and I'd bet not one in ten folks will look up from their feet or cellphone and notice it, if that many. Open carry is legal here, but not at all common these days. If you're wearing camo head to foot you could carry a pistol and a pigsticker (which isn't really legal unless in the field), and no one would think a thing of it.

Sorry for the diversion, my point was to email/call Steven if you want a different cant, he can do that with some of his holsters and he doesn't charge extra for it. As long as I've been shooting and carrying, I think he is the first person in the trade who hasn't charged me through the nose for anything other than bog standard. That's deeply appreciated, as I've developed certain particular preferences over the years and it's really nice to deal with someone who isn't out to stick it to my pocketbook because of that.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM

I can attest to a holster with a 25 degree cant being more concealable. Especially for a shorter guy like me (5'8", 168 lbs, athletic build). I just got my C-Flex extreme cant and cant beloved the difference.

TT Gunleather does this standard for 4" or shorter barrels. I realized this with my Springer Champ. Thanks to Steven my VBOB now totally disappears and even closer to 4 o'clock. Just like Thorgrim mentioned, I cant bend over much further as well.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Woohoo 1 just got a notice that my order was shipped! By chance, would you have a photo of it? For a sig stainless carry
Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Me too, Just got an email saying mine shipped today.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john75040 View Post
Me too, Just got an email saying mine shipped today.
When did you place your order?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
When did you place your order?
May 15th I think.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM

My wife texted me and told me my CFlex is there. The bad thing is I wont be home until 11 tonight to see how it fits.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john75040 View Post
My wife texted me and told me my CFlex is there. The bad thing is I wont be home until 11 tonight to see how it fits.
Congratulations john75040!!! I know the feeling, and you are going to really enjoy the new leather!! Good Luck!