1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > General > 2A Legal & Political News ONLY


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM
mrsurfboard mrsurfboard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 292
Glimmer of hope with Obama appointed SCJ




I found this encouraging. Maybe she won't be as bad as we thought. Or at least not 100% anti.

http://www.guns.com/justices-scalia-...trip-7352.html
__________________
Kimber Tactical Pro II/S&W 1911SC
  #2  
Old 04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
tmattimore tmattimore is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Butt crack canyon Wyoming
Posts: 425
You don't get it. The ruling class never want to ban anything for them selves. They just want to protect the poor, unwashed, unsophisticated, ignorant public from hurting themselves.
__________________
I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences. Gaze at the moon until I lose my senses. Can't look at hobbles and I can't stand fences. Don't fence me in.
Cole Porter
Nobody ever died from taking too much stuff into the woods. The first thing to pack is your brain.
  #3  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Red Dirt Dave Red Dirt Dave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: OOOOOklahoma!
Age: 61
Posts: 1,837
There are plenty of "Fudds" out there who believe that only classic hunting firearms should be allowed in the hands of the citizen.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting...

But I AM glad that she went.
__________________
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18
  #4  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:32 PM
WalterGC WalterGC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,426
She'll be one of the most liberal, left-wing justices ever.
__________________
Shoot to kill! They'll stop when they're dead!

Not a Glock armorer!
  #5  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 PM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 51
Posts: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Dave View Post
There are plenty of "Fudds" out there who believe that only classic hunting firearms should be allowed in the hands of the citizen.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting...

But I AM glad that she went.
Agreed. With that said, I am not impressed. Reminds me of the posturing Kerry did. Unfortunately too many folks will fall for this.

Regards,
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
  #6  
Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 PM
HT77 HT77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
I found this encouraging. Maybe she won't be as bad as we thought. Or at least not 100% anti.

http://www.guns.com/justices-scalia-...trip-7352.html

Cool story bro but never trust a left wing elitist with your 2A rights.
  #7  
Old 04-28-2012, 02:21 AM
The Right Wing The Right Wing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: concord NH
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivePanama View Post
Agreed. With that said, I am not impressed. Reminds me of the posturing Kerry did. Unfortunately too many folks will fall for this.

Regards,
i am going to have to disagree with this. John Kerry did his "hunting trip" during a campaign to try to win us over. lucky he failed miserably to trick us. i hardly find a already appointed and confirmed supreme court justice who no longer "has to impress" us any more, to be anything like a political campaign stunt. do i think she will be the next gun toting, diehard hunter like say..... Uncle Ted. No, i dont think so. but do i think that she is a women who no longer has to prove anything to anyone, there for find this to be very good. absolutely. . even for her to take any interest in guns, or shooting sports is a major victory in my eyes. even if she will not become an advocate for the 2A, do you think this is what Obama wanted when appointing her to the bench? Not to mention this means that she will be spending more time with a much more conservative justice than her self. Hopefully all this will open her eyes some, and make her exactly what Obama did not want out of one of his appointees. Maybe there is a guy sitting in a brake room at some job somewhere tomorrow, who has never fired a gun in his life, who eats up all the anti gun crap from the media, who will read about this, or hear about this. And maybe, just maybe he will think to himself if she enjoys it, maybe i will too. then he asks one of us if we will take him to a range and teach him about responsible gun ownership. then maybe he will like it to, and there will be one more "gun guy" and one less of the anti 2A guys. sorry if i find to much hope in this, but i find that one anti gun person turned pro 2A will sway way more people our way than one of us ever could.
  #8  
Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 AM
mrsurfboard mrsurfboard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Wing View Post
i am going to have to disagree with this. John Kerry did his "hunting trip" during a campaign to try to win us over. lucky he failed miserably to trick us. i hardly find a already appointed and confirmed supreme court justice who no longer "has to impress" us any more, to be anything like a political campaign stunt. do i think she will be the next gun toting, diehard hunter like say..... Uncle Ted. No, i dont think so. but do i think that she is a women who no longer has to prove anything to anyone, there for find this to be very good. absolutely. . even for her to take any interest in guns, or shooting sports is a major victory in my eyes. even if she will not become an advocate for the 2A, do you think this is what Obama wanted when appointing her to the bench? Not to mention this means that she will be spending more time with a much more conservative justice than her self. Hopefully all this will open her eyes some, and make her exactly what Obama did not want out of one of his appointees. Maybe there is a guy sitting in a brake room at some job somewhere tomorrow, who has never fired a gun in his life, who eats up all the anti gun crap from the media, who will read about this, or hear about this. And maybe, just maybe he will think to himself if she enjoys it, maybe i will too. then he asks one of us if we will take him to a range and teach him about responsible gun ownership. then maybe he will like it to, and there will be one more "gun guy" and one less of the anti 2A guys. sorry if i find to much hope in this, but i find that one anti gun person turned pro 2A will sway way more people our way than one of us ever could.
Well said!
__________________
Kimber Tactical Pro II/S&W 1911SC
  #9  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 AM
WalterGC WalterGC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,426
Why anybody would deduce that Kagan's joining Scalia on this adventure has anything to do with her vision of the 2nd is beyond me. I wouldn't read anything more into this than it was just a social outing for the Justices.
__________________
Shoot to kill! They'll stop when they're dead!

Not a Glock armorer!
  #10  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 AM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 51
Posts: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Wing View Post
i am going to have to disagree with this. John Kerry did his "hunting trip" during a campaign to try to win us over. lucky he failed miserably to trick us. i hardly find a already appointed and confirmed supreme court justice who no longer "has to impress" us any more, to be anything like a political campaign stunt. do i think she will be the next gun toting, diehard hunter like say..... Uncle Ted. No, i dont think so. but do i think that she is a women who no longer has to prove anything to anyone, there for find this to be very good. absolutely. . even for her to take any interest in guns, or shooting sports is a major victory in my eyes. even if she will not become an advocate for the 2A, do you think this is what Obama wanted when appointing her to the bench? Not to mention this means that she will be spending more time with a much more conservative justice than her self. Hopefully all this will open her eyes some, and make her exactly what Obama did not want out of one of his appointees. Maybe there is a guy sitting in a brake room at some job somewhere tomorrow, who has never fired a gun in his life, who eats up all the anti gun crap from the media, who will read about this, or hear about this. And maybe, just maybe he will think to himself if she enjoys it, maybe i will too. then he asks one of us if we will take him to a range and teach him about responsible gun ownership. then maybe he will like it to, and there will be one more "gun guy" and one less of the anti 2A guys. sorry if i find to much hope in this, but i find that one anti gun person turned pro 2A will sway way more people our way than one of us ever could.
Disagree as you see fit. I'm still not impressed. As one of posters on that site said:
Quote:
The 2nd Amendment isn't about the joy of shooting.
When justice Kagan shows any defference to the individual's right to defend themself from the transgressions of the government, up to and including the use of the best modern weaponry available to manufacture... then I'll be relieved.
Untill then all I see is that Kagan likes hiking and target shooting. Buy her a pellet gun and she'll think she has all anyone should have.
Now if Kagan goes public and acknowledges a fundamental shift of her position and declares she acknowledges that the 2A is a basic individual right then I will be impressed. Right now we see plenty of examples of the "elite" (politicians, tv & movie stars, etc...) who are all about themselves being armed but screw average joe citizen.

Yea, I'm a cynic. Nothing about the modern Democratic party or their appointees have yet to change my mind on that when it comes to the 2A or the rest of our rights.

Good day.
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
  #11  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:47 AM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 51
Posts: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
Why anybody would deduce that Kagan's joining Scalia on this adventure has anything to do with her vision of the 2nd is beyond me. I wouldn't read anything more into this than it was just a social outing for the Justices.
Agreed.

I give kudo's to Scalia but I am highly suspect of any true change as far as Kagan and her already published position on the 2A.
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
  #12  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 AM
BDA45 BDA45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Wing View Post
i hardly find a already appointed and confirmed supreme court justice who no longer "has to impress" us any more, to be anything like a political campaign stunt.
Maybe she is not such an "elitist" after all. Time will tell. But, the example Scalia offers exceeds the general belief that people who supposedly believe as Kagan did/does will not even consider shooting a gun.
__________________
--
He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight. - He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. - Sun Tzu
  #13  
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 AM
joedel joedel is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Forsyth County, GA
Age: 46
Posts: 910
In my opinion, the people who think guns are fine for hunting but nothing else are an equal threat (or perhaps a greater threat) to our true gun rights than those who wish to outright repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Dozens and dozens of "pro-hunting" politicians (John Kerry and Harry Reid for example) voted to approve the assault weapons ban and the ban on hi-cap magazines (and would do so again) because they deemed it a "common sense" gun control measure.
  #14  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 AM
DivePanama DivePanama is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Virginia, surrounded by good folk. Still trying to figure out the rebel flag deal in a state that fought for the Union LOL.
Age: 51
Posts: 5,925
Good point joedel.
__________________
COTEP member
NRA Endowment Life Member
Retired Paratrooper-Master Rated
"Only two things in this world keeps a chickens ass off the ground and its not wings"
  #15  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 AM
markbob45 markbob45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,026
Most peoples anti 2A views are based strictly on fear and ignorance. Maybe this will help her get past that. I'm going to try and think positive here and hope it changes her position, even if it is just a little. I'm pretty sure that some day we will find out.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Illinois State Rifle Association http://isra.org/
COTEP CBOB 0710
  #16  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 AM
HT77 HT77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,851
The best you can hope for with someone like her is that she might concede its ok to have a hunting rifle provided its locked up in a safe at home when you're not using it.
  #17  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 AM
FreeVoiceOfAus FreeVoiceOfAus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedel View Post
In my opinion, the people who think guns are fine for hunting but nothing else are an equal threat (or perhaps a greater threat) to our true gun rights than those who wish to outright repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Dozens and dozens of "pro-hunting" politicians (John Kerry and Harry Reid for example) voted to approve the assault weapons ban and the ban on hi-cap magazines (and would do so again) because they deemed it a "common sense" gun control measure.
Rachel Maddow is another good example, she apparently takes her friends down to the range to shoot for fun, including AR-15's shotguns, etc, but doesn't believe people should own them that they're simply toys for entertainment and completely supports banning their ownship

Quote:
Turns out she was really good with the shotgun and I was really good with the AR-15. And you know, despite my gun politics, I'm perfectly happy with shooting at a gun club and then leaving the weapons there and driving home
Here's a link to the interview
(I had to use the google cache link because the regular NPR site doesn't want to work for me so I can't find the exact page the quote's on, if anyone can get it tell me and replace the link)
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=au

I read about another quote from her during an interview where she described the AR-15 and possibly all guns for that matter as being like a roller-coaster, something that is just for fun but you don't own yourself (even though some people do own them, it's mostly just size, complexity, cost and local zoning laws that restrict ownership).
  #18  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Paulee Paulee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 791
Ehh.
Bill Clinton was recently in the news claiming that he had the "gun credentials" to get away with his AWB that Obama did not because Bill had grown up hunting.

Didn't seem to influence his views on the 2A in a positive way.
  #19  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 AM
ElToro ElToro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Moonbeam's Kingdom
Posts: 488
Didnt Mitt Romney sign some heinous gun control while he was in office in MA ? now hes a life member of the NRA ?

Even Saint Ron Reagan passed the 1986 FOPA which included the import ban while in office, which made the price of legal machine guns become basically unobtainable even if you live in a free state
  #20  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 AM
WalterGC WalterGC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,426
Just remember guys, Scalia is probably the only man with whom she's had social contact!
__________________
Shoot to kill! They'll stop when they're dead!

Not a Glock armorer!
  #21  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM
HT77 HT77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElToro View Post

Even Saint Ron Reagan passed the 1986 FOPA which included the import ban while in office, which made the price of legal machine guns become basically unobtainable even if you live in a free state
Reagan appointed Scalia. Obummer appointed Kagan. That's all you need to know.
  #22  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 AM
markbob45 markbob45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,026
Sometimes there are surprises. Didn't Reagan (or was it Bush 1) appoint Souter. He's been a disappointment.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Illinois State Rifle Association http://isra.org/
COTEP CBOB 0710

Last edited by markbob45; 04-28-2012 at 11:16 AM.
  #23  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 AM
boykinpup boykinpup is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: upstate S.C.
Posts: 748
Kagan, like Obama is a socialist/Marxist. They both have the same CHE' t-shirts.
  #24  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 AM
HT77 HT77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbob45 View Post
Sometimes there are suprises. Didn't Reagan (or was it Bush 1) appoint Souter. He's been a disappointment.
Reagan nominated Scalia, OConnor, and Kennedy (after Ted Kennedy and the commie Democrats destroyed his Bork nomination). Wow, how great would it be to have Bork, Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, and Alito running the Court with a majority.
  #25  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 AM
markbob45 markbob45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,026
Thanks HT77. I wasn't sure. I knew Souter was a republican pres appointee but wasn't sure which. Kennedy and O'Conner weren't all I hoped for either.
I agree Bork would have been outstanding. But the dems destroyed him just as they tried to do with Thomas. I remember those hearings. What a disgrace. Gotta give Thomas credit for standing up to them, and hanging in there. Couldn't have been easy. They will stop at nothing to get their way. Personal attacks and trying to ruin someones life are part of the game.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Illinois State Rifle Association http://isra.org/
COTEP CBOB 0710
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved