1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM

C3 sight picture

I just purchased the Sig C3 and took it to the range twice already, but I am having some issues with the sight picture. Can someone with the C3 comment on the sight picture for it? I have to place the front sight higher in order to hit center on where I aim. The front sight has a white ring around it, so it appears bigger than the rear sight. If I tried to align it to the rear sight, the POI is about 5 inches low at 10 yards. Just wondering if this is normal for everyone else with the C3. For the moment, I am using a sight picture kind of like this, oOo. Anyone else has to put the front sight higher to hit center of the target?

Btw, I've have 300 rounds through it and it has been great. Love the way it fits in my hand.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

All Sig 1911's are suppose to hit right above the front sight. This is commonly referred to as a "target hold". For example. Say you were aiming at a + that you drew on a sheet of paper. You would line up the top of both sights so the top of the sights would line up with the horizontal line. If it were possible to keep the sights perfectly lined up and stationary, you would see only half of the hole. I wish I could draw you a picture of it.

Basically, what I'm trying to explain is, the point of impact is not at where you put the front sight dot. It is where the top of the sight is on the target. Your problem is that you are relying on the dots instead of the top of both sights.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Try aligning the top of the sights and not the dots and see how that does with where it impacts. Your description of how the dots are might be the correct way to aim it.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 PM

Found this on the Internet. So, you are referring to the 1st sight picture?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly. See how the rounds impact is dissected by the front sight in the far left picture? That is how Sig 1911's are suppose to be shot. Results may vary from slight differences from gun to gun but generally speaking, that is what your sight picture should be.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 PM

ok, that is what I was doing to bring the POI to center of the target. But the 3 dots will look something like this, oOo. Where the front sight is sitting higher than the rear sight. I guess it is something I will need to train more and get familiar with it. My SA Loaded and PPQ has 3 dots sight system, too. I was able to line them up in a row evenly, ooo, in a line. I might just tape up the rear sight with some electric tape and just go with the front sight only.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:32 PM

Hey wow guys Ty helps me too. Great info!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM

So, I drew something up to show this sight picture I am using. If I tried to line the sight straight, it will look like Sight Picture 1. Therefore, the POI is low. If I line the top part of the sight evenly, it will look like Sight Picture 2. Btw, I was not the only one noticing this. Both my Marine cousins were with me and they notice the same thing, too. Is the C3 using Sight Picture 2? Anyone with the C3 wants to confirm this?

Last edited by goldengate; 04-27-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

I can confim it. You don't line up the dots, you line up the top of both sights. This is true for most pistols. The dots are there to help aquire the sights faster. It is a bonus if the dots line up but if the top of the sights aren't lined up properly, the gun will shoot high or low. Some guns will have sights where the point of impact is at the dot of the front sight. That is referred to as a Combat sight picture. Sig 1911's are not combat sight picture.

The dots will get you on paper. Aiming properly will get you in the middle of the paper. Lol

Last edited by custom2; 04-27-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 PM

Not exactly true

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
I can confim it. You don't line up the dots, you line up the top of both sights. This is true for most pistols. The dots are there to help aquire the sights faster. It is a bonus if the dots line up but if the top of the sights aren't lined up properly, the gun will shoot high or low. Some guns will have sights where the point of impact is at the dot of the front sight. That is referred to as a Combat sight picture. Sig 1911's are not combat sight picture.

The dots will get you on paper. Aiming properly will get you in the middle of the paper. Lol
My Sig 1911 came with combat night sights and my point of aim is where all three dots line up like (ooo). My particular model is the Platinum Elite.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGmanfrued View Post
My Sig 1911 came with combat night sights and my point of aim is where all three dots line up like (ooo). My particular model is the Platinum Elite.
Your Platinum elite should have come with an adjustable rear and a taller front sight than what comes on a C3. Strange that your gun has 3 dots. It should have come with an adjustable rear that has a bar insert, not dots.

Every Sig 1911 I have ever fired has produced a hole where I wanted it to go using the sight picture in the far left of the OP's sight picture diagram. Your point of aim may have 3 dots lined up but my question to you is, where is the point of impact? Does your bullet impact the target where your front dot is or does the bullet impact where the top of the sight is?

Last edited by custom2; 04-27-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 PM

Your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom2 View Post
Your Platinum elite should have come with an adjustable rear and a taller front sight than what comes on a C3. Strange that your gun has 3 dots. It should have come with an adjustable rear that has a bar insert, not dots.

Every Sig 1911 I have ever fired has produced a hole where I wanted it to go using the sight picture in the far left of the OP's sight picture diagram. Your point of aim may have 3 dots lined up but my question to you is, where is the point of impact? Does your bullet impact the target where your front dot is or does the bullet impact where the top of the sight is?
Your right! It is late and I was half thinking. I thought about it and was like, I dont have a 3 dot system.........lol I guess I need to get back to the range and refamiliarize myself with it again...lol

But with that said, while aiming my front sight where the dot is covers where my point of impact for the round is. Now this could be in part because of the adjustable rear sight which does elevation and windage and may be adjusted for it to shoot that way.

either way it works for me because I instinctually put the dot on the target and squeeze the trigger and would take some reprogramming to change that habit.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 AM

Goldengate, I'm right there with you. The first time I shot a sig 1911 I lined up the sights like I normally would and my group was all dead center on the target but a few inches low. I ended up buying a c3 for myself and figured out on the first magazine I had to aim in a different manner. I align all the dots but had to raise the front sight when going for the bulls eye. I will probably end up putting a set of the xs big dots on mine. Love my c3 but had to send it back, having some feeding issues with hollow points.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot John View Post
Goldengate, I'm right there with you. The first time I shot a sig 1911 I lined up the sights like I normally would and my group was all dead center on the target but a few inches low. I ended up buying a c3 for myself and figured out on the first magazine I had to aim in a different manner. I align all the dots but had to raise the front sight when going for the bulls eye. I will probably end up putting a set of the xs big dots on mine. Love my c3 but had to send it back, having some feeding issues with hollow points.
John, what a coincidence. This is An, the guy that called you about how the C3 perfomed. What a small world. I hope Sig takes care of you on that C3. BTW, we should shoot some time.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengate View Post
So, I drew something up to show this sight picture I am using. If I tried to line the sight straight, it will look like Sight Picture 1. Therefore, the POI is low. If I line the top part of the sight evenly, it will look like Sight Picture 2. Btw, I was not the only one noticing this. Both my Marine cousins were with me and they notice the same thing, too. Is the C3 using Sight Picture 2? Anyone with the C3 wants to confirm this?

That is the same way it looks on my Ultra.

Still working o the POA/POI part. Kind of hard to determine for me as my hands aren't as steady as they should be.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=bubblescivic;3841741]John, what a coincidence. This is An, the guy that called you about how the C3 perfomed. What a small world. I hope Sig takes care of you on that C3. BTW, we should shoot some time

Hey my friend, how are you. I shipped my c3 back via fedex overnight on Friday. Sig is paying all the shipping and told me I would have it back in less than 2 weeks. If you are ever in the dallas area or I am in your area heck yeah we should go shoot. I shoot every weekend.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 AM

[QUOTE=Buckshot John;3844609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblescivic View Post
John, what a coincidence. This is An, the guy that called you about how the C3 perfomed. What a small world. I hope Sig takes care of you on that C3. BTW, we should shoot some time

Hey my friend, how are you. I shipped my c3 back via fedex overnight on Friday. Sig is paying all the shipping and told me I would have it back in less than 2 weeks. If you are ever in the dallas area or I am in your area heck yeah we should go shoot. I shoot every weekend.
Holy crap, I didn't realize you're in Dallas. I don't make it out there as much as I should. Maybe we can meet at a ranch or some property where we can run rounds and shoot cans/steel. I wish you the best of luck on your C3. I've purchased another phone so I'll private message you my number. Text me and we'll shoot.