1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM

New Member, 1911 related questions for CCW

This post is lengthy, but detailed. You are warned.

I currently carry:
FNX-9
in a
OWB Master's Paddle Holster

First handgun, couldnt be happier.

It's a full size service 9mm handgun. I love it, it points well, it shoots well, and it fits well on my side, in my holster.

It does NOT conceal well. At all.
For me practicality is an issue.

I dont wear belts. My job and daily routine, also my wardrobe, need not require me to wear one.(I actually wear pants that fit)

Now of course, seeing how eager I was to get a pistol that I liked versus one that was practical(for what I do and how I carry), I want something more practical.

Heres my criteria for a 1911:
-Concealable(most people agree, in general that ALL 1911s are)
-4" barrel
-Full size or smaller frame, prefer something in SIZE to a Glock 19(I compare the G19 because its not quite full size, but its not as small as most other "compacts" either)
-Dark Finish, dont see the point in trying to hide a shiny gun(just my opinion)
-Novak style rear sights
-decent beavertail

my other concern that is my FNX9 has the following dimensions:

-4" barrel
-1 in 10" RH Twist Rate
-Weight 21.9oz empty
-Length 7.40"
-Height 5.45"
-Width 1.55"
- 17 round magazine

-If I get a 5" barrel, that defeats getting a smaller gun, obviously
-If I get a 4" barrel, wouldnt that just be like trying to conceal my FNX?

I dont believe anything less then 4" barrel to be a real consideration, I've read alot of reveiws about them being too finicky. Shorter barrel, more barrel tilt, more variables regarding feed issues.

Here are my current considerations.
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-eco/
given the price tho...maybe when I grow up and have a real job

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/co...i/pro-carry-ii
I need to be taught what the pros or just cons of bushingless means, along with mainspring housing flat/arched.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=32
Any of the dark finished Champion size, with the sights I like

http://regentarms.com/products/models/r350cr.html
If anyone has any good/bad reviews about this, lemme know or link a story.

My budget is up to around $800-$900 range. However, less is more. And none of that "I dont put a price on my life", thats for the user to decide on their own, at their own risk. The easiest gun fight to win, is one that doesnt occur.

Looking forward to any and all help.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigHeadGuy View Post
I dont wear belts. My job and daily routine, also my wardrobe, need not require me to wear one.(I actually wear pants that fit)
This is a problem. No belt means you are really limited in how you can carry.

Solution: Get a good quality gun belt, and an IWB holster.

For gun choice, Either a Commander or CCO will be suitable.

And get a belt.

Justice Hugo Black
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Solution: Get a good quality gun belt, and an IWB holster.
I agree. A good quallity belt is a requirement for proper and save carry. I know the current fashion is to not wear a belt; however, a belt does more than just "hold up the pants". A good belt will allow the holster to ride in a more comfortable, safe position and also aids in holster/weapon retention. As far as which firearm to carry, well, carry the one you are most comfortable with and can shoot the best. If it looks good and feels good but you can't shoot it well, what good is it? I would further recommend going to a good indoor range and rent the firearms you are interested in and make a more informed decision.

Last edited by Diver9543; 04-26-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Belts have long been merely a clothing accessory vs actually being used to hold up one's pants. A belt will increase your carry options ten fold.

Now. Something you mentioned about a 4" 1911 being the same concealed as your FNX. Given the round capacity of your current mags I'm going to venture a guess that they're double stack mags. That's the main difference right there. Even at full 5" barrel lengths, 1911s conceal better due to their slimness, which the single stack mags afford.

Of your choices, I like the Dan Wessons but I'm biased as I carry a 10mm CBOB. Conceals beautifully with a 4.25" barrel. However, new they're likely to be beyond your price point. Used, could be.

Hope this helps some.

Oh, did we mention a belt?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM

The Beltman makes good belts.

Learn to use belts. Don't waste time with the belts from China or where ever. That crap will fail you in less than a month.

Learn to carry IWB. I carry a full size Govt 1911 Colt with a 10 rounder mag at about my appendix and two mags are in a Crossbreed IWB. I can also wear pants that fit but I go up one size larger and pick certain tall shirts and other specific considerations for concealed carry. The rest of the mags are scattered about me. You never know which pocket you are going to go for after your IWB is empty. (Normally searches pockets without thinking and wasting valuable time)

There are Thugs out there now who have in the past worn baggy pants that need holding up with one hand. Or conceal a Battle Rifle such as a -47.

Don't use a under arm shoulder holster, it's going to get into your way when fighting close quarters.

Fine Clothing Makers are now beginning to build Concealed Carry Wardrobe to order or produce for general sale.

You are worrying too much about which particular gun by measurement. You actually need to pick a stack of guns at the Gun Shop, buy or RENT the ones that fit YOU BEST and try them.

The one Weapon YOU can hit center mass with 95% of the time within 10 yards is YOUR weapon. Learn to build your carry belt and clothes around it.

You also have to consider a small flashlight with LED, Tactical ring for striking and wears on your belt. It is usually faster to have it in one hand and the gun in the other for me. I cannot really carry a Under Rail Light concealed that well unless it is winter time.

Your best graduation course for concealed carry is a lengthly walmart shopping. If no one sees you or asked you about a gun or other behavior (Gun side arm swinging very close and short to your weapon) you are good to go.

My first walmart walk was with the wife. She asked me if I was hurting in the gun side leg. She did not know I was armed but it was affecting my walk enough to notice. I look back on that now and see it as a marquee lights saying "I have a gun"

Finally but not last. Plan on shooting several thousand rounds of ammo in practice and take classes. They will expose you to how others carry concealed or open and what they do.

Us older folks sometimes like suspenders in addition to a belt. Or simply fold a fat roll over a pistol and go about the business (Barf)

Last edited by HungrySeagull; 04-26-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungrySeagull View Post
The Beltman makes good belts. You have a link to that, or can i just google him?

Learn to use belts. Don't waste time with the belts from China or where ever. That crap will fail you in less than a month. Noted.

Learn to carry IWB. I carry a full size Govt 1911 Colt with a 10 rounder mag at about my appendix and two mags are in a Crossbreed IWB. I can also wear pants that fit but I go up one size larger and pick certain tall shirts and other specific considerations for concealed carry. The rest of the mags are scattered about me. You never know which pocket you are going to go for after your IWB is empty. (Normally searches pockets without thinking and wasting valuable time) Wardrobe changes imminent

There are Thugs out there now who have in the past worn baggy pants that need holding up with one hand. Or conceal a Battle Rifle such as a -47.
is that why they always hold their pants up...

Don't use a under arm shoulder holster, it's going to get into your way when fighting close quarters. Noted.

Fine Clothing Makers are now beginning to build Concealed Carry Wardrobe to order or produce for general sale.Google again?

You are worrying too much about which particular gun by measurement. You actually need to pick a stack of guns at the Gun Shop, buy or RENT the ones that fit YOU BEST and try them. Duly noted

The one Weapon YOU can hit center mass with 95% of the time within 10 yards is YOUR weapon. Learn to build your carry belt and clothes around it.
Noted

You also have to consider a small flashlight with LED, Tactical ring for striking and wears on your belt. It is usually faster to have it in one hand and the gun in the other for me. I cannot really carry a Under Rail Light concealed that well unless it is winter time.Under consideration

Your best graduation course for concealed carry is a lengthly walmart shopping. If no one sees you or asked you about a gun or other behavior (Gun side arm swinging very close and short to your weapon) you are good to go.I open carry in walmart with people barely noticing...worries me how oblivious the average American is....

My first walmart walk was with the wife. She asked me if I was hurting in the gun side leg. She did not know I was armed but it was affecting my walk enough to notice. I look back on that now and see it as a marquee lights saying "I have a gun"

Finally but not last. Plan on shooting several thousand rounds of ammo in practice and take classes. They will expose you to how others carry concealed or open and what they do.

Us older folks sometimes like suspenders in addition to a belt. Or simply fold a fat roll over a pistol and go about the business (Barf)
^ see annotations
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM

No belt? no problem. Carry in a fanny pack or a Maxpedition Jumbo man purse.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Couple of links:

http://thebeltman.net

http://www.woolrich.com/elite-tactic...ed-carry.shtml
Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM

Not sure where you live and what your climate is like but here's my dress code.
Fall/Winter/early spring; OWB w/ jacket or vest
Summer; IWB (Sparks VMII) over a T or muscle shirt covered by a loose flowing polo. If you IWB you will have to buy your pants at least 1 size larger
Carry piece; all steel Commander slide(4 1/4) /officer frame (Baer Stinger). This p[itol had MADE TO CARRY all over it.......Occasionally carry a G23...The two are identical in size
I'm 5'8"" and 160 # and have never been made.
I will occasionally "waistband" the Glock but would not consider doing so w/ the '11 because it is slimmer and heavier and there would be a chance of it falling out.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 PM

Ima lifeguard on a federal installation(Fort Lee, VA). So, obviously work does not allow me to carry, even Fort Lee did.

In the summer, and even now, its short and t-shirt weather or bust.
around here hot is hot and HUMID, because this area is literally built in a swamp...
So pants, most of the time, are...tedious to wear for guys. For lack of a better term, certain appendages and their two buddies like to stick and cling to whatever they come in contact with. So, like I said, shorts alot of the time.

At 19, like most guys, my age, I wear baggy clothes, NOT saggy clothes, there is a difference. Big shirts, maybe a size too big, NOT things that hang past my knees and have my favorite sports team or music artist. My shorts END a little past my knees, they dont START at my knees.
And before you ask, at 18, in VA you may open carry. And even though your supposed too apply for CCP at 21, Virginia is a "shall issue" state, and from what I've heard in my area, if you are not 21, they will issue a CCP anyway.
The reasoning, I hear, is because they would rather have someone legally carry(and conceal) a gun, that is allowed to have one. versus someone having a gun, and illegally concealing it.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM

I don't think a 1911 will cure your concealabilty problem. I agree with most of the guys here, get a gun belt, and I'd add, get a better holster. Paddle holsters are not as secure on your body as a holster with loops or straps, and it won't carry as close to the body as other holsters.

An IWB holster or a pancake OWB holster will greatly improve the concealability of the pistol you currently have, and will be much more economical than buying a new pistol.

Take a look at our holster picture threads for some possible ideas. See how many paddle holsters you see the fella's carrying.

IWB
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...ghlight=tmoore

OWB
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=204433

For warm weather wear, you can easily find shorts with belt loops that will allow a gun belt, and a cover garment in the Hawaiian shirt style would easily fit in your wardrobe.

Last edited by jtq; 04-27-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orutra View Post
I will occasionally "waistband" the Glock but would not consider doing so w/ the '11 because it is slimmer and heavier and there would be a chance of it falling out.
Carrying a Glock without a trigger covering holster has the potential for disaster.

Justice Hugo Black
Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Carrying a Glock without a trigger covering holster has the potential for disaster.
+1 if you must carry a Glock IWB at least get something like the MIC hoslter. http://www.glocktech.com/
Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM

+1 to adding a belt.

Before I started carrying concealed I never wore a belt. Started wearing one as support for my IWB holster and never looked back.

Now, I am so used to a belt I wear one even when I'm not carrying concealed.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Have you looked at the Springfield EMP? I have an EMP 40 and mags on me right now in a very nice leather vest. Gun on one side, two spare mags on the other. I also love my IWB holster the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I will carry either my EMP or my DW Guardian.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
This one I clean forgot.

I have a little Ruger for pocket. The holster that cover it's trigger is a godsend. I don't know how often I have stuck hand in there and had finger in the area.

I am usually hot and locked and still think about what I am doing.

Regarding warm/hot weather, we are night people. Darkness assists in conceal carry and cooler too.

Regarding the Public's attention; it's not a worry. Those around you are unaware even if you had a gun duct taped to your forehead.

I have seen people carrying little tablet computer cases on their belts these days. I automatically think Walther, Bersa 380 etc.

The people to watch are those that exhibit mental issues, alertness or matching your path, step or in other ways trying to get within reach of you. The ones I love are those who have a gold neck, teeth and a honking big chain or watch. Then they ask you "Got a time?"

Yea right.

Last edited by HungrySeagull; 04-27-2012 at 05:36 PM.