1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM

REVIEW: The Hinderer XM-24 Tactical Knife>>>>>>>>

Gents - I picked up this gem a couple of weeks ago from the man himself, Rick Hinderer. Thought I'd share my thoughts with the community:

Review of the Hinderer XM-24 on ThruMyLens

Enjoy and do let me know your thoughts!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 AM

I read that over on DefensiveCarry, good stuff. A buddy (and member here if I'm not mistaken) has the XM-18 and a boat load of Striders. He was saying he'd like to find a 24 when I asked him what he thought of them. So, that makes me want one even more. Hopefully I'll end up with one eventually.

Like I had said before, it really strikes me as the ideal mix of a Strider SMF and a Chris Reeve Sebenza. I really like the Spanto blade as well.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 04-25-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
I read that over on DefensiveCarry, good stuff. A buddy (and member here if I'm not mistaken) has the XM-18 and a boat load of Striders. He was saying he'd like to find a 24 when I asked him what he thought of them. So, that makes me want one even more. Hopefully I'll end up with one eventually.

Like I had said before, it really strikes me as the ideal mix of a Strider SMF and a Chris Reeve Sebenza. I really like the Spanto blade as well.
Now that I have a XM-24, I really want an XM-18.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:55 AM

Certainly a top of the line folder.

However, personally if I need to have a heavy duty knife with me at any given time. I will likely take one of my Randalls. I just think that a fixed blade is the way to go. Not that I would not pick up one of those XM 24s if I ever had a chance to mind you.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM

I'm all about the fixed blades as well. See my last posts in the Strider pic thread. The reason I'm finally getting around to replacing my Strider folders is that I just can't always carry a fixed blade. And, I don't always know when I'll need a knife for more that it's normally designed for, so I want my folder as robust as possible.

What's pretty cool about the Strider folder, and I assume it applies to the Hinderer as well, is that the pivot is so robust that should you manage to break one, the blade breaks and not the pivot. With the steels and heat treat used by Strider and Hinderer, this is really saying a lot about their pivots. Both the SMF and XM-24 are 3/16" thick blades, so they can withstand a lot.

I'd like to see Hinderer offer a fixed blade Spanto that is the same size and handle design as the Strider DB-L. I'd certainly be interested in one of those.
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex John View Post
No matter what we have, there's always a need for the next model.
~Paul Howe~
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
No matter what we have, there's always a need for the next model.
Ain't that the truth brother....
Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM

I've met Rick a few times at knife shows in Ohio - great guy and some kind of talent for knives. Here are a pair of Hinderers that you won't see very many of though:

sort of a "chute" knife style

damascus "letter opener"
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM

You can't beat his XM lineup thats for sure. I have 2 myself (1 limited editon Zurich Swat model & a Gen 4 3.5" non flipper slicer). I am looking foward to reading your XM 24 review.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
You can't beat his XM lineup thats for sure. I have 2 myself (1 limited editon Zurich Swat model & a Gen 4 3.5" non flipper slicer). I am looking foward to reading your XM 24 review.
Thanks! Let me know your thoughts on the review!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 AM

That was a good review, and great photography. You spelled Hinderer as "Henderer" a few times. Also, for knife reviews, I'd like to see some more info about how the knife actually performs as a cutting tool. For example, is the grip comfortable in your hand if you have to use the knife for an extended period of time (15 minutes)?

Some of my "tacticool" folders are not comfortable to use at all after a few minutes. Too many rough edges, points, screws, or even the pocket clip can become very aggravating on a bare hand. For that reason, an old Case folder with a big wide plastic black handle is something I reach for often, because the plastic handle is smooth and comfortable.

Thanks for the review.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Let me know your thoughts on the review!
Very good review actually. I always thought the 24 was a little too robust for edc myself. I would perfer the 3" or 3.5" & in non flipper. The Swat model I currently own comes only one way 3.5" flipper Spanto blade in DLC. You mention that it's slightly difficult to flip the 24 open but if you adjust the pivot screw to your liking it should flip open perfectly. As for the MV on these things they are double in price on the secondary market if you are not LE/Military, etc. And his customs seem to start at $1350 range & up depending on the rarity of the build. And all sell rather quickly on all the knife forums including Ebay. Heck I seen the that same Zurich Swat knife bid on ebay for $1600 right before Christmas & bids were still going so I am not sure what the winning bid had ended at. He does have quite the following in the hi end knife world that for sure.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I have an XM-18. Trade ya....