1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM

My new 1911 tactical came in today! Range report

Went to the range today and picked up my new RIA 1911 tactical. I had some old bulk ball ammo 230 fmj, maybe 80 rounds or so that I brought with me. The thing is shipped covered in oil and the smith at the shop dried most of off for me.

I went to the range thinking "well lets see what a cheap 1911 is going to shoot like" because I did not like my old kimber. My first shot actually startled me by how it shot the middle of the bulls-eye. Very accurate. Recoil was nothing to speak of. It ejected the brass perfectly away from me, no chance of getting hit. Just felt right to shoot it.

I traded the 1k$ kimber for a S&W 629-2 a while back because I really did not like shooting the kimber (FTF,FTE, ETC). This RIA shoots so much better for me it seems more robust I guess? Well the RIA is a keeper. I love it so far. Really has that WW1/WW2 feel about it.

Last edited by ctrulock; 04-24-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Banned

That is what a good 1911 should do.You better get your flak vest out the Kimber guys are loading up.Maybe you will get lucky and all their guns will jam?Sorry I could not resist,after the beating they just gave be for mentioning and old problem with them.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 PM

Kimber guys please do not shoot me lol. The kimber was my 1st pistol and I was clueless. Bought a bunch of weird ammo (165 gr +p, 185gr +p, etc). I also messed with the recoil spring added a heavier one. So it probably was my fault for the FTF/FTE.

But the kimber to me seemed as if it is a very tight highly precise pistol. The kimber probably is not a starter pistol. The compromise of the RIA for everyday range shooting verses match/contest shooting for me is perfect.

PS: The kimber was beautiful as well-not a kimber basher they are just ouyt of my league, for now.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:49 PM

congrats on the new 1911. I've got the RIA 2011 model myself and after shooting a friend's kimber and colt 1911 (which were both fantastic) I shot mine and a taurus 1911 and they both shot just as good.

My FFL I got it from also says that RIA customer service (as well as taurus) is top notch.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 AM

After 100 more rounds and my install of checkered walnut WW1 grips. Wow, I love this gun. My only fear before I bought a "range" 1911 was that I might like it too much, IE fall in love all over again. Well, I did.

Now I have the bad thoughts creeping back into my head again. "What if i bought a really expensive custom (Wilson, Les, Ed, etc.)

I have figured it out though; I am a 1911 guy-its my favorite platform to shoot from by far. Plastic guns have their role but, for me, 1911's=fun shooting!

P.S. The recoil from the RIA 1911 tactical if easy like Sunday morning, my 13 year old son will love it. He only has problems with DA triggers, not recoil.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 AM

speaking of recoil, if you want to reduce it even further, you can get the wilson recoil/shock buffer kit with the 15 and 18# springs (I think that's the spring rates.. could be wrong) but it's an easy drop in replacement.

here it is in mine. the end cap that comes with the kit though is too long. you have to use the stock RIA cap in order to get the bushing into the barrel/slide all the way. Other than that, it's a quick plug and play install.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:33 AM

That is awesome. I think I will pick one up. Thanks for the heads up on that product.

Will make shooting with son even better. He will gain a little confidence with better recoil and the RIA is dead accurate IMHO.