1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 PM

How often do you practice weak hand drills?

Last week I tried out for the department pistol team. For the first time in 13 years I did not make it, BOOOO!

You see I've had surgery on my right shoulder (SLAP repair, rotator cuff repair, and biceps tendon repair). I'm only 5 weeks out from surgery and still in a sling. I returned to light duty in the office and surprised everyone when I showed up on the range. I guess the bosses figured I'd work in the office and not carry a gun?

I drew with my left hand, shot to slide lock, and held the gun with my knees to reload. I kept all rounds on all of the targets out to 25 yards, and in the end I missed the alternate's slot by 3 seconds total time (time plus penalties). When this was done I shot a qualification course and shot 100%. I guess they can't argue about my carrying left handed.

Several guys told me they didnt think they could hit the target past 10 yards with their left hand unsupported. I asked why they did not practice. I have always practiced one handed / weak hand shooting and malfunction clearing in the case I should lose the use of a hand during an encounter. Not only from possibly being shot, but with my luck ill slip on the ice and dislocate something.

I wonder how many people incorporate this into their training? Do any of the civilian schools teach these techniques...heck do departments practice them? I'd love to hear others input on this topic. I'd be willing to make some short videos showing the techniques I use in case some of you guys have not been exposed to this sort of training. I don't have much else to do while I'm healing up.
Wilson Combat Firearms: CQB Elite Turnbull Blue / Case Hardened .45, CQB .45, Lightweight Protector Compact .45, CQB Tactical LE.45, CQB-C .45, Stealth .45, Sentinel .45, Colt Custom .45, High-Cap Championship Special .38 Super Race Gun, Spec Ops 9, Scattergun Tech. TR-870 12 ga., UT-15 .223 with W/C .22 Upper, OD ADP 9mm, WC .22 1911 conversion

Last edited by Highgear; 04-24-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Everytime I go to the range I practice weak hand shooting. I wouldn't call what I do "drills", but I do make a point to shoot left handed as often as I can while going to the range.

Fin
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

You can also practice at home without live fire to help,before you go to the range.I think it helps and is cheaper.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervel View Post
You can also practice at home without live fire to help,before you go to the range.I think it helps and is cheaper.
It may be cheaper, but it does absolutely nothing for training you to recover from recoil while shooting weak handed nor will it assist with working on immediate action drills in the case of a FTF while shooting weak handed.

Train as you fight, fight as you train. And sure, home dry firing has its place but IMO, weak hand shooting is just that ..... shooting.

YMMV,

Fin
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Practicing the mechanics of drawing from a strong side holster weak handed, reloading, and malfunction clearing could be done at home for sure!

How many people have tried drawing from a strong side holster weak handed? One reason I like AIWB!
Wilson Combat Firearms: CQB Elite Turnbull Blue / Case Hardened .45, CQB .45, Lightweight Protector Compact .45, CQB Tactical LE.45, CQB-C .45, Stealth .45, Sentinel .45, Colt Custom .45, High-Cap Championship Special .38 Super Race Gun, Spec Ops 9, Scattergun Tech. TR-870 12 ga., UT-15 .223 with W/C .22 Upper, OD ADP 9mm, WC .22 1911 conversion
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4finny View Post
It may be cheaper, but it does absolutely nothing for training you to recover from recoil while shooting weak handed nor will it assist with working on immediate action drills in the case of a FTF while shooting weak handed.

Train as you fight, fight as you train. And sure, home dry firing has its place but IMO, weak hand shooting is just that ..... shooting.

YMMV,

Fin
I agree,but you can practice reloads,and hand to eye coridination every day it will become second nature.Everyone does not shoot on a weakly basis and this also helps keep you muscle and eye orintation in check.If you use dummy ammo why can't you practice these drills,I do it all the time?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervel View Post
I agree,but you can practice reloads,and hand to eye coridination every day it will become second nature.Everyone does not shoot on a weakly basis and this also helps keep you muscle and eye orintation in check.
All very true. Each of us will train as we see fit.

Fin
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM

I do it periodically.

I think that it is a very good discipline to practice. I have been in a few dangerous situations where my week side dexterity literally saved my "cookies"
In my opinion, one would be well advised to consider that not all potentially mortal conflicts include firearms. Nor do they neccesarily include knives. Your noggin is certainly your primary tool in any fight.
But being as well conditioned as you possibly can to the inclusion of using all of your extremeties to their fullest potential can be a really good thing.
Even a Belfast kiss or just a plain old bite can really change a would be bad guys wish list for the day.
Although with the blood bourne pathogens around today. The biting thing would certainly be only used in extremis.

But then again, what do I know?

Last edited by USMM guy; 04-24-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 PM

High Gear
I can feel your pain as I had nearly identical repair to my right shoulder. The PT that followed was some of the most painful I've ever had to do. It was several months before I could just reach for my wallet in the rear pocket and I remember how happy I was when I was finally able to reach up overhead a full extension of my arm. Even now after seven years I have periodic pain in my shoulder and do more PT drills. Hang in there pal.
As for weak hand shooting, I was taught some neat one handed drills by a medically retired motor cop in Johannesburg So Afrika. back about 1973. He lost his right arm at the shoulder in a crash and developed some really neat options. We practiced them until I was proficient but I still couldn't do it as fast as he could! Later, when I got shot up by a coke freak from behind, I took a bullet smack thru the middle of my right hand that nearly took out the right ring finger. Multiple fracture of the bone and caused a deformed knuckle and twisted finger. So, my one handed techniques got put to the test during the next several months of recovery from all the bullet holes, BTW, he got me 7 times in the back ...
In serious practice I can shoot as accurately with either hand but am faster strong hand. Of course I'm sure that could be improved with more practice. At one time I was even considering duplicating the bullseye distinguished pistol badge again, weak hand, and no doubt I could do it. Even though the chances are one in a million of taking a bullet thru the hand, or being damaged to the point of near useless, I got the shot so the odds mean nothing to me!
Doing the draw or loading, or changing mags can be done at home but nothing replaces the actual range time and shooting weak side unsupported.
Best Regards and Good Luck with the PT.
Semper Fi
Rocky
DX Pistol, Prez 100 Pistol
Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 AM

I do practice weak hand shooting on the range and dry fire .

I hope you recover quick and get back on the team quickly .
“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002
Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM

I practice WH and SH weekly.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 PM

I try to practice a few shots every time I go to the range. I forget sometimes. Still, some practice is better than no practice.

www.blackrivertraining.com