1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 04-24-2012, 03:19 PM

para warthog

Looking at getting a compact 1911 I'd like to spend less than a grand but don't want a RIA I like that the warthog has a double stack magazine any other double stack magazine 1911 options out there and impressions of anyone who owns a warthog is appreciated btw I had surgery on my trigger finger so any info on trigger length n how smooth etc. Would also be a big help

Last edited by randy41508; 04-24-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM

A Warthog is a 10+1 double stack that is the more recent generation to the P10-45.

I have a pair of P10-45s, both made in 1996. One cost me $450 and the other cost me $550.

The Warthog came out later and has some additional features. You can google both and learn all about them.

If you buy a P10-45 expect to pay $500 to $600. A Warthog could go for $600 to $700.

www.gunbroker.com will give you a better idea of asking prices.

The trigger pull on a Warthog is likely the same or similar to any 1911 and would be relatively light.

Can't imagine what kind of surgery you had on your trigger finger, but if there is any kind of impairment, either temporary or permanent, I suggest you become proficient with your other hand.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:40 PM

i cut the tendon on the inside of my finger n i know i can shoot the ruger sr9c no problem i cant shoot long triggers like ur typical .380 with the long stiff double action and i can shoot with either hand but just feel more human with my right thank u for the info
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 PM

I've had my Warthog for a little over a year and love it. I did find that it does not like Hornady Critical Defense, so I tried Speer Gold Dot for short barrel, 230 grain and it cycles with no problems. As far as the trigger, it has a short, fairly light break.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM

Good small carry weapon

I have had a P1045 for two or three years. I like it much better than some of the small carry weapons because it has the feel of a much larger gun, uses 45 acp, and is small enough to carry in a in-pants holster. If I am not mistaken Para has them for sale for $650. To check if this is still true, go to Para USA, then go ProShop, look in the upper right corner for DAILY SPECIAL Good Luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypennock View Post
If I am not mistaken Para has them for sale for $650. To check if this is still true, go to Para USA, then go ProShop, look in the upper right corner for DAILY SPECIAL Good Luck.
There is a current special on a Warthog for $650. It's refurbished and upgraded with a fiber optic front site.

http://paraproshop.com/firearms/pist...d/warthog.html
Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 PM

My Warthog is accurate and 100% reliable. It is a carry a lot and shoot a little gun.

If you are having trigger reach issues, I would advise that you shoot one first before buying. The trigger pull / reset is quite short, but the grip is still fat. You may just need a single-stack or maybe two.

ML
Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Not so ugly Warthog & Mag Guide review

I've had mine (WHX1045S) for a few months and love it! It was on sale so got a bargain on it. I've since purchased an extra mag w/grip extension. The gun already came with two mags (one with and one without the grip extension) and I think the grip extension greatly aides in shooting comfort/accuracy, however it may impede concealability. I've tried adding the Hogue grips, but it made the overall diameter of the grip a little too big for my hands (average size). As well, the rubbery Hogue grips tended to grab cover garments and made printing more problematic. The most needy upgrade/enhancement I've made is adding a Smith & Alexander Mag Guide the review of which is below. The stock three dot sights are adequate.

For a small .45 1911 the Warthog is great. The 10+1 capacity, weight and overall dimensions of the gun are perfect for me as a concealed carry weapon. I would add though that some may consider the weight/size to be on the large end and maybe even not suitable in some cases or for some preferences. Regarding concealed carry of the Warthog and it's particular size, personally as I'm sure is the case with other gun enthusiasts, I have a small variety of handguns (.22, .380, etc..) and holsters to fit the garment/circumstance so size generally of the Warthog is a non-issue. The grip size isn't much different than a standard single stack 1911. The trigger pull/release is just right. It does take some pretty good hand/finger/thumb strength to rack the slide however. Some people have commented/reviewed that it should be held firmly to avoid FTF's, FTE's and other such malfunctions. This phenomenon according to what I've read can also be due to the feed ramp being shorter on a gun this small and/or recoil/magazine spring issues. Although I've experienced a few such failures myself (using CCI Blazer Cleanfire TMJ and Hornady hollow points), their frequency is low and they've diminished as I've put more rounds through it. I've also changed to a firmer wrist/grip when shooting it so that may have helped too. Once I burn through my current stock of the above mentioned ammo I'll get a few boxes of something different to see if that changes reliability in feeding/ejecting.

Appearance wise, the stainless Warthog is great. It looks awesome. It's a blast (no pun intended) to take to the range and practice breathing, sight picture, trigger squeeze, etc.. My suggestion though for anyone considering a particular gun would be:
- Try one out at the range. If you can't, then at least try dry firing one at a gun store.
- Talk to friends or others at your local gun ranges.
- Read forums such as this one.
- Read reviews of the gun.
- Watch some of the YouTube videos by owners of that gun.
- Look at some of the online costs and numbers of guns that are for sale.

Smith & Alexander Stainless Mag Guide for Para Warthog (P10) review
Purchase: I bought mine directly from S&A (it arrived via USPS in 2 days). Brownells has them, but the stainless one was on backorder.

Fit: It arrived a scosh too wide (from the casting it looked like). I had to file down a very very slight amount (0.011" total; ~0.0055" each side) off the rails from both sides of the MSH so they would fit into the channels on each side of the grip where the MSH slides into the grip. Overall the replacement went smoothly except for the fiddly mainspring, trigger strut, etc... This was the first time I've ever dug into the guts of a 1911 and it took a few attempts before I got it back together correctly.

Appearance/Function: This is where the stainless S&A mag guide excels far beyond the cheap original plastic MSH that came on the gun. Para should put something like this on ALL Warthogs! It looks much much better on a stainless Warthog than the stock black plastic one. The S&A Mag Guide/MSH is about 0.3 inches longer than the stock one. This extra length fits much much much better in my hand (the main reason I bought this). As well, this extra length and the machined slope at the magazine opening is what makes this a mag guide and not just a MSH replacement. I've not been to the range yet with it, but it should make reloads a little better too.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:34 PM

I have a Para Carry LDA (45acp). Love the gun even though it's a slight departure from a traditional 1911. It is my off duty carry when I don't need a pocket pistol.

Sarge

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...p/CIMG0653.jpg
Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 PM

I bought my Warthog six years ago and I love it. It is one small, accurate, and reliable pistol. The Warthog is a pistol that you will either love or hate. The problem is you won't know until you actually handle one, regardless of the positive (or negative) feedback you get back or watch on video. I rented the Warthog on numerous occasions before I committed and when I did, I ended up getting a sweet deal because the Para rep was in town and at the shop/indoor range that I frequented.