1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM

M&P Mods

Guys,

I have an M&P .45 full size that I love, but I'm always looking for ways to make my guns better. If any of you own an M&P, what have you modified on my gun? Just looking for ideas. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:37 PM

I you're looking for a "grippier" surface stippling is an option thats a fairly easy DIY job. Just need things like a soldering iron with various tips depending of the pattern, a file or some sand paper to knock the edges down, a marker, and some rubbing alcohol.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM

Tigger jobs, especially from Apex Tactical, are very popular mods
Old 04-24-2012, 08:09 PM

I just purchased a full size M&P 45 a few weeks ago. I searched for information on weather they would feed 200 gr lead SWC, some said they would others said not. FYI they will and very well also. But the load I have been shooting in my 1911's shot low and left. Very low and left.

An Apex DCAEK cured the trigger pull so much that the only problem now was the low shots. I did the math and needed .030" shorter front or raised rear. My slide is now at Novak's for their adjustable rear and fiber optic front sights.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post
Tigger jobs, especially from Apex Tactical, are very popular mods
S&W does a trigger job that won't screw with your warranty........been thinking about that myself. Compared to my 1911 the trigger is absolute **** in the M&P
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM

U cant go wrong with Apex Tactical upgrades. I have 2 M&Pc's
A 9 and 45 and they both have Apex trigger jobs. Its a pretty simple
install with good instructions on YouTube. Last i checked they were
working with storm lake on aftermarket barrels.

Last edited by Amkmxz; 05-01-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Poor grammer
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM

All of mine have Apex competition kits, 10-8 u notch rear sight,10-8 brass bead front sight and arredondo magazine extensions. I'm adding a storm lake barrel with a compensator to my IPSC gun. Great guns!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalBandit View Post
I you're looking for a "grippier" surface stippling is an option thats a fairly easy DIY job. Just need things like a soldering iron with various tips depending of the pattern, a file or some sand paper to knock the edges down, a marker, and some rubbing alcohol.

I have seen those hackjobs. Scary one would do that to a pistol.

Just do what Hickok45 from Youtube does and get some grip tape.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 PM

I durracoted mine tan and stipples the grips. I switch the sights to Tru glo which I love. The only trigger work I did was the apex RAM for the definite reset. My smith smoothed out all the parts as well so now it's butter smooth. It's not a 1911 trigger but I doubt a striker fired weapon ever will without heavy mods. Mine trigger would take little effort to return to factory.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:50 PM

I have an Apex DCAEK that I use, and I wouldn't even think of going back to stock. The nice thing about Apex is that all of the parts are drop-in, and you get to learn a little more about how the parts interact if you install it yourself. Theres no sanding, polishing, filing, etc so if for some reason you ever need to send it back to S&W, drop the OEM parts in and presto, warranty intact.

One other mod I made to the trigger that I've come to really enjoy is stippling the trigger face. I have big mitts with long fingers, and I constantly found my trigger finger slipping over to the left when shooting a lot because there is no textured or serrated bits on the trigger face. Grip tape wouldn't stick due to the small surface area and pressure of firing, so out came the soldering iron. Now, normally I'm a little squeamish about stippling anything on a polymer gun, as I think it looks atrocious...but this was a purely functional mod.

Presto. Added some texture to the trigger that won't come off, and it's mild enough that it's not abrasive to my finger after lots of shooting. Also, there is absolutely no involvement of the trigger safety - the hinged trigger still functions 100%. It's not for everyone, but it sure works for me.

"We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless." - Jeff Snyder

Last edited by FrontRangeFuzz; 05-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.