1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 AM

Spec Ops 9 Anyone?

I don't see much chatter on the SO9. Either means it's not as popular as it should be or the owners are content and have no reason to chime in. I'm in the second category. LOVE my SO9. My second favorite gun, behind my CQB.... and I've owned/own a lot of handguns.

My only complaint is that damn recoil spring. Take 4 sets of gorilla hands to wrestle that thing in. I would love a captive spring.

Any other happy owners?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 AM

On my list. I'd love to see one in person.
Wilson Combat Firearms: CQB Elite Turnbull Blue / Case Hardened .45, CQB .45, Lightweight Protector Compact .45, CQB Tactical LE.45, CQB-C .45, Stealth .45, Sentinel .45, Colt Custom .45, High-Cap Championship Special .38 Super Race Gun, Spec Ops 9, Scattergun Tech. TR-870 12 ga., UT-15 .223 with W/C .22 Upper, OD ADP 9mm, WC .22 1911 conversion
Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 AM

From all the posts I've read (since the Spec Ops introduction), this product has been well received by its target audience ... i.e., those looking for a high capacity magazine, lightweight polymer design, etc., with 1911-based fire control parts and functionality. There was an excellent thread here a few months back with detailed photos and comparisons (which showed just how similar the Spec Ops is to a 1911 and that it's not merely another polymer handgun).

However, since we're on the 1911 Forum, I suspect that non-1911s (even a near-1911 such as the Spec Ops) will never receive the same interest level here (among 1911 Forum members) as a true 1911 design. Many members, self included, have a great affinity for JMB's original design, and while accepting of many improvements over the years, are not ready to depart from the core parts, measurements/specs, materials, and, for some, the 45acp chambering represented by JMB's design.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 04-24-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM

I am conflicted. These are just my thoughts in my special situation.

First, the Spec Ops is great. Never a hick up and very accurate. Wow, a high cap in 1911 and 9mm to boot. Congratulations to Wilson for putting such a project together. Wilson did not scrimp on quality either. The trigger pull and fit are great as you would expect from Wilson. I think that the Spec Op may have a Sig type internal design which I think is great and should feed the 9mm very well. Someone smarter than me can correct me if I am wrong on this last.

The special situation is in 2008 I bought a Light Weight Wilson 9mm bob tailed Professional. With the bob tail and the light weight frame, the second pistol is very concealable, does not weigh much if I am walking in rural farm areas for business for a long period, and is also reliable and accurate. Last, it feels like my other 1911s because of the thinner grip.

Other thoughts on why I prefer my LW Pro over the Spec Op:

There are more magazines from a world of manufacturers available for the Pro. I recall that Wilson may have run short of the Spec Op mags. If I want a part, I want it now.

Wilson also has a great custom shop and I have lots more options to make changes on the Pro than the Spec Op. For instance, I have changed to bar dot sights and added a 38 Super barrel already on the Pro.

I can add a Crimson Trace laser on the bobbed Pro. I can't as far as I know on the Spec Op.

As I have looked more and more at hoisters, I am not happy with the fit of the Spec Ops on my Commander holsters. Little things bug me, like the thumb safety does not exactly fit the Commander holster and the square trigger guard is not a fit.

To get a better fit, I bought a Kramer horse hide IWB holster designed specially for the Spec Op, but it does not quite match my other holsters, although it is nice. Again, there are more choices here for the Pro.

The cost of the Pro was $900 more than the Spec Ops. They were bought about the same time. By the time I add up the cost of seven extra mags and the extra holster for the Spec Ops, the difference between price for the Pro and the Spec Ops narrows considerably. (I already had bunches of 1911 mags in different configurations before buying the Spec Ops.)

I like gold bead front sights. These are not available on the Spec Ops as far as I can tell.

If I ever find a good local gun smith (which is looking like it might never happen) I would not turn him loose on the Spec Ops. Which means I either have to figure out how to fix it or send it back to Wilson. I know Wilson will do a great job, but I always feel like I am being an idiot when I pay the FedEx bill back and forth for pistols as shipping costs have really climbed since I started shooting 1911s.

I am still trying to figure out why Wilson used a Government spring on a 4.5 inch barrel Spec Ops. They are far brighter than I, but the spring combined with the short slide stop gave me fits until I put in a regular length 9mm Wilson slide stop, which really helped and made the gun much more like a regular 1911 for me to put together.

Again, I like the Spec Ops, however I prefer the Pro. Others probably will love the Spec Ops high cap 1911 combo though .

Regards,

Craig
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM

This'll be my next handgun. There's one with my name on it at the local funstore. Hope it's still there!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 PM

I agree that this is on my short list of next gun to get.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 AM

I also have a Spec Ops and a lightweight Wilson bobtailed Pro in 9mm. I carry the Pro in the burbs, in the office and at home. I carry the Spec Ops when I have to go to the city. I love them both and have a different philosophy of use for both of them. Milt Sparks will custom make a holster just for the Spec Ops and it fits perfectly. They also made a custom mag carrier just for the Spec Ops mags. They are both pleasures to shoot. I had a few extractor issues with the Spec Ops and Wilson stood behind the pistol just like all the rest. Love them both.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 PM

I bought my Special Ops 9 on 17Jan2010 so it is one of the older ones. I also have a CQB full size, CQB compact, and Professional (all in 45) so I am Wilson poor. I have shot the SO9 more than any of my other pistols. It is so smooth shooting that I love taking it to the range or shooting it in light-hearted competitions. With a few thousand rounds through it, the appearance is still like new. Finish is holding up great and the only wear is on the internals.

My only problem with the gun was a box of Federal ammo that a friend brought to the range. That stuff would not feed and I had several stoppages. After shooting most of that box, and worrying that something was wrong with my prize gun, I loaded up some WWB, some lawman, and federal in various mags and everything shot perfectly. Finally realized the ammo was faulty, a little out of specifications, and nothing was the fault of the pistol.

I think the SO9 is a really great weapon. I carry it concealed on those occasions where I fear I may need firepower. I have a couple of extra magazines that allow me to carry more rounds than I will ever need.

This one will be a legacy to my son.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 AM

[QUOTE=Retops;3837522]I bought my Special Ops 9 on 17Jan2010 so it is one of the older ones. QUOTE]

Is there a difference between the "older" and "newer" ones?