1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM

IF the gun shop owner was steering you away from a Kimber. What was pushing you to go with? Something he just happen to have in his display case. Find you another shop to do business with.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Banned

I wish Kimber would make a 4.25" CCO in Alloy with a traditional barrel bushing and no FPS for a reasonable price.I would highly consider buying one.S&W makes one in scandium with an external extractor that I have seen new for $904.00 local last month that looks nice.Smith is going to titanium firing pins and doing away with the FPS I am told.The new 5" guns have a wider External extractor,but it has not been carried over to the ES CCO that I am aware of yet.Even the FPS on a Kimber would not bother me.It looks like Dan Wesson Colt Talo and Colt Thunder Ranch are taking the lead in TraditionalCCO's at this time.The Thunder Ranch's were in stock last month for 1,100 with no FPS if they have not sold out?Oh almost forgot the Sig,reasonable price,I believe comes with sig night site's,if you can get past the looks of the slide,and external extractor.If you like the Kimber get it,they are nice guns.I just want a 4.25" non bull barrel.

Last edited by supervel; 04-23-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 PM

I bought my first Kimber this year. A Eclipse in 10mm. I have had and currently still have, several Colt's and Springfields, as well as some high end 1911's. I have read more pos. and neg. about Kimber than all the others put together. Unbelievable. I also can not believe how so many LGS people have no clue about them, even though they sell them. This I think is partly Kimber's fault for keeping secrets about some of their materials and processes used (they now will not tell you if their frames are forged). I had one person even tell me Kimber frames and slides were MIM . I finally decided to try one for myself. What a nice 1911. Very accurate. Reliable thus far. Fit and finish are right up there with some of my high dollar guns. Trigger is very good for a production gun as well. I have nothing but good things to say so far. I would and probably will, buy another.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortum View Post
I concur and here is my testimony http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=363544 - I told you, I am gonna join you Kimber Endorsement Club, DArBad!
Mortum, you magnificent man, you are a man of your word and I salute you

Last edited by DArBad; 04-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
Mortum, you magnificent man, you are a man of your word and I salute you
Glad to be of help!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 PM

I'm new to guns and inherited a never fired Ultra CDP II a few months ago. I won't bore you with me learning how it work it....but I have over 600 rounds through it now and I have not had a single malfunction. I havn't been threw the hundreds of diff types of ammo yet, just 230 grain FMJ - but mine has been flawless. Now if I can learn to not jerk the trigger I might get decent groups
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervel View Post

They did get away from the manhole covers,and they did change the slide on the CCO.I know because I was going to buy one and noticed the differences.I did not claim to be an expert,I was relaying this information,and it is correct.I will not bash any brand of firearm.I will mention if they have had alot of reported problems and a design change came in the same time frame.So what is your point again?
I've owned several Sigs (4), and more than a bakers dozen Kimbers.
Another way of stating the EXACT SAME information would be to say "It has been 'widely reported' by Kimber owners that their pistols performed flawlessly, but there have been exceptions". You are not 'relaying correct information', You are simply showing your bias. (last time I looked bias is OK) And on this forum, we are used to it.
Sigs and Kimbers are VERY different. From concept to excecution. Sig has tried to improve their weapons, and so has Kimber. I think my point has been made.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRod View Post
What is probably more accurate to say is that the shorter 1911s like the Ultras, and SA Micros,etc can be a little more picky and temperamental than the longer guns so they sometimes need some "tuning" to get them to run reliably. That said, my wife's 3" EMP eats everything. As long as I clean it every 1k rounds or so it's as reliable as any of my 5" guns. My Kimbers, both of which are less than 5 years old, have been golden although both have less than 11k rounds through them.

Everyone's mileage will vary.
I feel they are just unforgiving. They lack the weight of the longer bbl guns and need proper technique when being used.

If shot right - high hold , firm grip, they work as well as any other model.
I get a little sick of people parroting stuff they read on the internet again and again .

YMMV
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I believe Kimber has gone back to internal extractors...
Quote:
Yes I know Kimber switched extractors......Is the date of when they switched that important to the point I was trying to make?
Based on some of your combative replies, and apparently never having owned a Kimber, I wonder why you're so adamant about defending comments that corrected.

You said you believe, then you said you knew. But, 7+ years and somewhere in the range of 500,000 guns is a long time to be still preaching about a problem they acknowledged and still to this day, take care of. It's a non-issue. The 4.25" vs 4" issue is a non-issue as well, unless someone like yourself is hung up on the Colt 4.25" thing and there nothing wrong with that. None of it really has anything to do with the OP.

Bottom line, and on topic to this thread, the OP ran in to someone that wanted to sell something else, or is clueless, or both. I'll stick with the wanted to sell something else angle. The primary motivation of most "gun store counter guys" for spewing nonsense and BS is to get your money as fast as possible regardless of anything else.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 AM

So, is there anyone here that would vote for the Sig Ultra two tone as being more reliable? Just asking, as I appreciate all input...
Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 AM

For years I have watched in wonderment the threads on the Kimber forum that extol the virtues and vilify the shortcomings of this particular brand. Only the Colt forum has more passionate patrons but many fewer negative posts in my observation. Not because they produce a far superior product but I suspect that the negative poster over there might actually be hunter down in person and harmed for their blasphemous comments against the Holy brand...but I digress....so I am finally going to chime in.

I own multiple guns from each company mentioned above and a few from other 1911 manufacturers. I own three Kimbers, including one of their Limited Edition Centennials, so I am heavily invested (financially) in their brand. I mention this because it plays a part in peoples opinion of their brand loyalty. I have never had any problems with any of my Kimbers that required returning it to the factory. Because I am a manufacturing engineer, I understand the tolerances associated with high volume manufacturing and factor that into product I purchase. This also helps me understand why so many people are unsatisfied with the performance of their gun out of the box. They want the performance of a custom gun at the price of a production gun.

Over the years, I have also observed the bias of the local gun stores around the Kimber brand and offer this as a possible explanation. At some point in the past, as Kimber's popularity was sharply rising and dealers requirements were going mostly unmet and Kimber had no answer to smooth the ruffled feathers of the dealers unable to cash in on this gold rush, they began to trash the brand to their customers in a effort to sell what they had in stock. Couple this with the attitude commonly associated with employees of a company offering a product where supply is woefully short of demand and you have the makings of a marketing nightmare....which apparently still exists today and if Kimber wasn't still able to sell every pistol they can manufacture at a price point they want....I suspect they would spend more time addressing this marketing problem...but why would they do that now?

Sorry for the long post but I did say I waited years to do this
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 AM

I have an Ultra Carry 2 and it hasn't given me any trouble at all. I even took it to a competition once lol.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 AM

I am glad you commented. So, you wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Kimber Super Carry Ultra 3" as a concealment weapon? Would this be the model/brand you would recommend over other models of 3" Kimbers and the 3.3" Sig? Thanks....
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44 View Post
I am glad you commented. So, you wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Kimber Super Carry Ultra 3" as a concealment weapon? Would this be the model/brand you would recommend over other models of 3" Kimbers and the 3.3" Sig? Thanks....
All of the 3 inch kimbers will make excellent carry guns. You will just have to decide which model has the features you want. I have a couple 3 inch Kimbers and I don't hesitate to carry them.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Just to chime in, I have two Kimbers, one is an Eclipse Ultra II, and the other (full size) I shoot in IDPA. They're both GREAT pistols - I have no reservation recommending one of the Ultra's to you for carry.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM

I am glad to see " SRJim " again!----LOL. Been wondering behind the scenes where you have been.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM

I have five Ultras, one in the Super Carry Ultra + that I am using for a carry gun at this time. I have had no problems with any of the five. All function as they should. I would not hesitate to recommend one as a carry gun.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I am glad to see " SRJim " again!----LOL. Been wondering behind the scenes where you have been.
Me too.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Kimber and Sig Good Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
I've owned several Sigs (4), and more than a bakers dozen Kimbers.
Another way of stating the EXACT SAME information would be to say "It has been 'widely reported' by Kimber owners that their pistols performed flawlessly, but there have been exceptions". You are not 'relaying correct information', You are simply showing your bias. (last time I looked bias is OK) And on this forum, we are used to it.
Sigs and Kimbers are VERY different. From concept to excecution. Sig has tried to improve their weapons, and so has Kimber. I think my point has been made.
Man I am sorry,I was not trying to bash any one or their choice of firearm.I was trying to point out some problems that may have come up in the past with the two that are now corrected.The poster may come across a good deal on a used one and it may not be that good after all.If my statements were incorrect,I have no problem being called out on them.If I was trying to BASH Kimber would I have not mentioned the MIM parts like the other basher's?I did not because I don't believe it to be true at this time.When and if I see substansial eveidence of cases like that, that are well documented I might comment on it,but I have not.This is kind of like the Glock 40 Kaboom issue,it is apparantly a very sensitive subject,and must be handled like race relations at the current time.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 PM

I've had my CDP Ultra since 1999. Used it for carry, and many self defense classes. In some of the classes I used 8 and 10 round Wilson magazines, so I didn't have to reload as much. Shoots SD ammo just as reliably as ball.

Took it out a few weeks ago to compare recoil with the new Aegis I just got. Both 3" alloy frame guns, and it and the Aegis were 100% reliable.

Not a Kimber fan boy, just been satisfied with the ones I have bought and still shoot and carry, to this day.

I don't think you will be disappointed in a Kimber.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM

Well, I went ahead and bought the Kimber!!!

Just bought my first Kimber, a Super Carry Ultra two-tone. I took it to the range for the initial firing. I fired 50 rounds of PMC 230 grain FMJ through it and it was flawless. At 50 feet, all rounds were in the target with about a 5" grouping. And all were centered around the "x", so no pulling to any one side. Very smooth weapon and since I am used to a glock, this trigger will fire if you breathe on it, so will train well in that regard. Love the gun. Couldn't believe the accuracy in a 3" barrel. The list on this gun is $1557.00 MSRP. I got it for $1299.00, which is still high, but since they seem scarce, I didn't think it was too bad. Is this a good price or just average?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM

Well now Johnhunter44, I have to say " ata boy, that's the spirit! ". And a hearty welcome to the club! Also, congratulation on that purchase!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44 View Post
Just bought my first Kimber, a Super Carry Ultra two-tone. The list on this gun is $1557.00 MSRP. I got it for $1299.00, which is still high, but since they seem scarce, I didn't think it was too bad. Is this a good price or just average?
Congrats.

I would say you got a good deal.

I usually feel pretty good if I can get a NEW gun for around 80% of MSRP, and this was before today's overheated market.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member
Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM

Johnhunter44,
I have two Kimbers, A Super Carry Pro and a Raptor Ultra II. The SCP was finicky on ammunition but as the round count builds, the gun now operates flawlessly. The Raptor Ultra has many hundred rounds down range and has been flawless in performance! That target was at 7 yards and is a 10 shot group!! The gun is ACCURATE!!

Now, my one REAL gripe... Kimber makes the main spring housing out of PLASTIC!! Here is the same gun with a Smith & Alexander stainless steel main spring housing and magwell and a set of their magwell grips. I carry this gun almost everyday!

I would not hesitate to purchase another Ultra...
Ruger MK III 22/45 VQ Custom,
Wilson Combat Bill Wilson Carry, S&W PC 1911
Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Well now Johnhunter44, I have to say " ata boy, that's the spirit! ". And a hearty welcome to the club! Also, congratulation on that purchase!
Courage! The ability to rise beyond fear! Superb choice! ( I think the Sig Ultra's are excellent too) The Sigs are very different.
Keep it lubed, practice.
In the micro barrel 1911, .45ACP, FMJ 230g is fine for self defense. Many of the known and popular (expensive) HP ammo will not get the velocity to expand as advertised, and desired. Longer barrel, increased velocity.
FMJ 230g will have the ft. lbs. of energy to get the job done, with the added benefit of reliability.
I like a forward IWB holster.