1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highgear View Post
One has to ask, "How much stress do these two parts really bear?". I'm sure a quality casting is more than sufficient.
If you google image search enough you will find multiple pics of broken 1911 cast thumb safeties, usually where the plate meets the shaft. You will never find a broken machined thumb safety. In addition, the fit is better with the machined part. We can keep pin size and detent more consistent but the parts are far more expensive to produce. For the ambi there is absolutely no question about which is a better part.

With the grip safety, you get improved fit at the tang, but also there are no inclusions in the machined part. Often when fitting the cast grip safety we run into a pit or inclusion and the part must be scrapped or welded. Imagine prepping a highly finished stainless or blued gun and poof there is an unsightly pit. Never happens with a BP part-better fit and nicer finish.

We are no longer happy with "sufficient"..we are trying to raise the bar one part at a time.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM

WCR,

You've just confirmed that my decision to order my CQB with the bullet proof upgrade package was a good one. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that I'm one of the lucky ones who gets one of the one-piece mag wells.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
If you google image search enough you will find multiple pics of broken 1911 cast thumb safeties, usually where the plate meets the shaft. You will never find a broken machined thumb safety. In addition, the fit is better with the machined part. We can keep pin size and detent more consistent but the parts are far more expensive to produce. For the ambi there is absolutely no question about which is a better part.

With the grip safety, you get improved fit at the tang, but also there are no inclusions in the machined part. Often when fitting the cast grip safety we run into a pit or inclusion and the part must be scrapped or welded. Imagine prepping a highly finished stainless or blued gun and poof there is an unsightly pit. Never happens with a BP part-better fit and nicer finish.

We are no longer happy with "sufficient"..we are trying to raise the bar one part at a time.

My next pistol will be a Wilson CQB Elite.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highgear View Post
One has to ask, "How much stress do these two parts really bear?". I'm sure a quality casting is more than sufficient.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post

If I google search hard enough, I'm sure I can find meatheads breaking anvils with soup spoons.

I hear ya WCR, and totally understand where you are coming from. BP parts are a better grade part.

But also, in the same breath, the cast TS and GS (with the WC name on it) is not a sub-standard part. There are millions of cast TSs and GSs out there, and thousands of which that are on WC guns.

I'm not asking for any numbers, but it would make interesting conversation to know what the failure rate is with a WC cast thumb safety. I would have to hypothesize that the failure rate is extremely low. And as long as I'm speculating, if that part was going to fail, it would do so either in the your test phase or shortly thereafter (my test phase).

So many here begin to think, that life would not continue if there WC does not have the BP package. Obviously that is not the case. But it is great that it is still an option.

I think that the BP is upgrade is definitely icing on the cake. It makes certainly a nicer, and cool factor gun. But at a significant monetary trade off.

I would also bet that Bill Wilson's BWC (the one that has 100K+ rounds through it) has the original cast parts.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-boost View Post
Agreed.

If I google search hard enough, I'm sure I can find meatheads breaking anvils with soup spoons.

I hear ya WCR, and totally understand where you are coming from. BP parts are a better grade part.

But also, in the same breath, the cast TS and GS (with the WC name on it) is not a sub-standard part. There are millions of cast TSs and GSs out there, and thousands of which that are on WC guns.

I'm not asking for any numbers, but it would make interesting conversation to know what the failure rate is with a WC cast thumb safety. I would have to hypothesize that the failure rate is extremely low. And as long as I'm speculating, if that part was going to fail, it would do so either in the your test phase or shortly thereafter (my test phase).

So many here begin to think, that life would not continue if there WC does not have the BP package. Obviously that is not the case. But it is great that it is still an option.

I think that the BP is upgrade is definitely icing on the cake. It makes certainly a nicer, and cool factor gun. But at a significant monetary trade off.

I would also bet that Bill Wilson's BWC (the one that has 100K+ rounds through it) has the original cast parts.
The failure rate of a Wilson Combat cast part is very, very low.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if an individual chooses to have the round butt MSH/frame, would he not be limited to the CQB? The extended magwell is not an option with this feature to the best of knowledge.

Every other feature could be had to the equivalent of the CQB Elite, but this is one feature I really like.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if an individual chooses to have the round butt MSH/frame, would he not be limited to the CQB? The extended magwell is not an option with this feature to the best of knowledge.

Every other feature could be had to the equivalent of the CQB Elite, but this is one feature I really like.
You can get the round butt on a CQB or Elite without a magwell at this time.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Camillo, I'm in the NoVa area out near Dulles. I have a CQB w/rail that you're welcome to try out. Let me know, pony up for some ammo and you can give her a whirl.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Camillo, I'm in the NoVa area out near Dulles. I have a CQB w/rail that you're welcome to try out. Let me know, pony up for some ammo and you can give her a whirl.
Thanks very much for the offer, jsykes! But my CQB E arrived at the FFL yesterday, and following the obligatory 7 days, I'll be shooting her.