1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM

Need a tip: Slide Stop Installation

I've bought the gun that I hope retires all my previous and puts an end to my buying more-than-one-gun-per-year average: a Doug Koenig PC 1911 in .38 Super.

I'm not very familiar with 1911's having shot mostly Sigs, an XD, and a couple 5906's in mostly IDPA competitions. I bought a Fusion 1911 in 9mm, had many early extraction problems, and never gained confidence in it. Enter the Koenig.

I am having great difficulty installing the slide stop. The plunger doesn't want to budge. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos to no avail. I've resorted to using a small screwdriver to depress the plunger from the right side of the slide through the ejection port (I didn't see that in any videos!). Any tips I can try?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 PM

You could try this. http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214653
Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynster View Post
Thanks. I don't if I'm ready to attempt that. Can you buy a slide stop with that modification already incorporated? Actually, why wouldn't they all be manufactured that way if that makes it so easy?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM

A search on "idiot scratch" should come up with plenty of tips on how to avoid one while installing the slide stop. I have no difficulty with my S&W but my old Colt needs assistance pushing in the plunger with whatever non-metal do-hicky happens to be nearby.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 PM

Don't know if you ever got your answer but I'd recommend the log man mod. as well. Short of that, a stiff credit card (NRA ID card works well) placed perpendicular to the plunger tube was how I did it for a while.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 PM

I only have one 1911 that seems to be difficult getting the slide stop in...and on it, I use a plastic pick that has a spade head. I was using a small screwdriver for a while, but shuddered each time thinking "what if I slip with this screwdriver?" I was considering the credit card method, but that doesn't depress the plunger...it does, however, protect the frame, so there is that benefit.

So, I rooted around in my tool box and saw a set of plastic picks that I bought, intending to use them for light cleaning on my pistols, if necessary. One of the picks has a spade head, just like a screw driver, so I tried it...and it works like a champ. The pick isn't as stout as a metal screwdriver, but the plunger isn't that difficult to depress, and I don't worry about slipping with it and gouging the frame.

It is a good question why the manufacturers don't make a small bevel in the slide stop to make this a lot easier. I wonder why some enterprising after-market entrepreneur hasn't come out with one...with all the other after-market add-ons and accessories, you'd think there would be one by now.