1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 PM

Opinion on tactical elite in 9mm

My local gun shop has a used tactical elite in 9mm for sale. Has anyone owned/shot one in 9mm and how does it compare to a spec ops9
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 PM

Welcome to the Forum.

I just now glanced at the Wilson website to confirm that such a 1911 could currently be ordered.

Pairing the 5" heavy flanged bull barrel of the TE with the light recoil of a 9mm chambering is not a common selection I would guess. I'm sure that the majority of TE customers are seeking to build an easy shooting 45acp 1911 (or 10mm or 40S&W).

But everyone is different and I'm sure such a design (in 9mm) is right for someone.

Having said this, if this particular Wilson is available for a good price and is in good condition, I sure wouldn't mind snatching it up for everyday range use. The TE, in any caliber, is renowed as an easy to shoot 1911.

The Spec Ops 9 is an entirely different category of firearm. Kind of like comparing apples to oranges. My feeling is that you could make this comparison only in the context of your intended use/purpose of the firearm.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 PM

I have an '05 Professional in 9mm that I bought used last year.

I use it as my IDPA match gun; and all I can tell you is that everyone should own at least one 9mm 1911!

Go for it!

Rick

Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 PM

For the OP -- For many competitive matches (not sure about IDPA) the Tactical Elite is barred ... due to it being so effective that it is considered an unfair advantage (my sentiments added here). Since I see this is your first post, you should be aware flanged bull barrels (and/or bushing-less designs) are often prohibited in competitive events.

I agree with Rick that most 1911 enthusiasts would thoroughly enjoy having at least one 1911 chambered in 9mm. So I would make a decision quickly in regard to what you've seen at your local gun store. If the price/condition is right, it will be gone to a happy buyer very soon.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 04-21-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. Interestingly, I've wanted a tactical elite for some time and ordered a Rankin UDP in 45 about a month ago. I saw this 9mm tactical elite yesterday and since 9mm's generally don't have a lot of muzzle flip, I wasn't sure how much benefit the flanged barrel would provide.

Not sure if it's appropriate to list prices here, but if it is I would love to post it to get an idea if it's a good deal. Cosmetically, the guns in great shape and looks like it hasn't been fired much.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
since 9mm's generally don't have a lot of muzzle flip, I wasn't sure how much benefit the flanged barrel would provide.

Cosmetically, the guns in great shape and looks like it hasn't been fired much.
Sounds like you have a good understanding of what you're looking at here. Even if the flanged barrel provides only some benefit, that benefit can only be a positive.

If the price is right (remember you can always make an offer less than the asked for price), this 1911 would be a fine addition to any collection.

Good Luck with the Shopping.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Did you end up buying this? I was talking to a dealer today and they said that wilson is not making a TE in 9mm anymore. WCR confirmed this, although I don't know if it is a temporry hold or a more permanent decision.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM

A full sized 9mm TE would be a, I think, nightmare for reliablity. The 9mm lacks the "butt" to really operate a normal 5" gun, much less a TE.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blr View Post
A full sized 9mm TE would be a, I think, nightmare for reliablity. The 9mm lacks the "butt" to really operate a normal 5" gun, much less a TE.
We use an 8# recoil spring and they run fine with appropriate ammo.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 AM

(Grumbles) 9mm's are for Hi Powers (Grumbles)

I'd be willing to bet my lunch money you have more issues with 9mm 1911s than 45s.

Though, as my tastes tend to the more obscure, I should be the last to criticize anyone's choices.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
(Grumbles) 9mm's are for Hi Powers (Grumbles)

I'd be willing to bet my lunch money you have more issues with 9mm 1911s than 45s.

Though, as my tastes tend to the more obscure, I should be the last to criticize anyone's choices.

LOL, I love a BHP..BUT for a training gun on the 1911 platform I don't think the 9mm has a peer. With appropriate magazines and ammo we have a formula that delivers exceptional reliability.

As I am sure you know, there is NO caliber in a 1911 platform that is as inherently reliable as a .45 ACP. Everything else is #2.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
We use an 8# recoil spring and they run fine with appropriate ammo.
8# ! wow. What kind of ammo do you run with that? .380?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
8# ! wow. What kind of ammo do you run with that? .380?
Anything that can fit in a 9mm chamber!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

What spring weight do you use with a commander size 9mm?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 AM

Our compacts usually get a 12 or 13#, a Commander usually gets the same but in Commander length..
Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Thanks dude. I use 12# in my commander also.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
LOL, I love a BHP..BUT for a training gun on the 1911 platform I don't think the 9mm has a peer. With appropriate magazines and ammo we have a formula that delivers exceptional reliability.

As I am sure you know, there is NO caliber in a 1911 platform that is as inherently reliable as a .45 ACP. Everything else is #2.

38 Super??? In my admittedly limited experience, I'd have said the 38S was easier feeding and more accurate intrinsically than a 45.

I do realize this is an entirely academic discussion.
Bill's Training Blog
Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Our compacts usually get a 12 or 13#, a Commander usually gets the same but in Commander length..
I must be Google retarded because I can find 11 pound compact 9mm Compact springs and 14 pound, but it has been a year or two since I have found 12 or 13 pound 9mm compact springs anywhere.

What manufacturer's springs do you recommend in 12 to 13 pound 9mm Compact?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:

38 Super??? In my admittedly limited experience, I'd have said the 38S was easier feeding and more accurate intrinsically than a 45.

I do realize this is an entirely academic discussion.
No way Jose.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
I must be Google retarded because I can find 11 pound compact 9mm Compact springs and 14 pound, but it has been a year or two since I have found 12 or 13 pound 9mm compact springs anywhere.

What manufacturer's springs do you recommend in 12 to 13 pound 9mm Compact?
Apparently we are now using 11# in the coil springs for 9mm and #13 in the flatwire.

(we do not sell the flatwire separately)
Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM

In order to get proper 38 Super feeding in a 9mm/38 Super Wilson Pro, I am using the 14 pound Kimber 4 inch Wolff spring in both calibers, which works extremely well.

I think that a 13 pound flat wire spring would be a good substitute for what I have now. If the barrel sticks out from the frame, it does not bother me so I do not need a barrel cut.

Since I am very limited on recoil spring manufacturers for this pistol, that would give me one more choice and cut back on my need to change springs as often.

Are you closer to releasing the 13 pound flat wire assembly for 9mm Compacts through your parts department?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
In order to get proper 38 Super feeding in a 9mm/38 Super Wilson Pro, I am using the 14 pound Kimber 4 inch Wolff spring in both calibers, which works extremely well.

I think that a 13 pound flat wire spring would be a good substitute for what I have now. If the barrel sticks out from the frame, it does not bother me so I do not need a barrel cut.

Since I am very limited on recoil spring manufacturers for this pistol, that would give me one more choice and cut back on my need to change springs as often.

Are you closer to releasing the 13 pound flat wire assembly for 9mm Compacts through your parts department?
The flatwire for compacts is only available in the shop. At this time you would need to send the gun in.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
No way Jose.
Really? I must defer to your greater experience in this area. I'd bet the older () guys in the shop could make two types of guns run forever and ever: Full size 45s and full size 38s. Who in the shop was building guns when a WC Supergrade in 38S was a gun to beat in IPSC/USPSA? Vic? Jeff? It would be interesting for us that grew up drooling over Bill Wilson tuned Supergrade Government Models, and illuminating for proselytes to the 1911 platform, to hear some of the evolutionary and revolutionary steps taken by the Wilson shop in creating the refined platform that we currently enjoy.

This would be a particularly interesting topic/thread if a group of knowledgeable guys got to discussing it objectively. But I wont derail the present thread anymore than I already have.

Cheers!
Bill's Training Blog

Last edited by blr; 05-03-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Really? I must defer to your greater experience in this area. I'd bet the older () guys in the shop could make two types of guns run forever and ever: Full size 45s and full size 38s. Who in the shop was building guns when a WC Supergrade in 38S was a gun to beat in IPSC/USPSA? Vic? Jeff? It would be interesting for us that grew up drooling over Bill Wilson tuned Supergrade Government Models, and illuminating for proselytes to the 1911 platform, to hear some of the evolutionary and revolutionary steps taken by the Wilson shop in creating the refined platform that we currently enjoy.

This would be a particularly interesting topic/thread if a group of knowledgeable guys got to discussing it objectively. But I wont derail the present thread anymore than I already have.

Cheers!
The .45 has the best magazines currently available and a well-built .45 ACP is pretty forgiving with the right bullet ogive.

The .38 Super can be reliable with the right ammo, but a rimless cartridge is inherently more reliable than anything with a rim or semi-rim (like the Super).

A tapered case .45 would likely be the most reliable. But it doesn't exist
Old 05-04-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
The .45 has the best magazines currently available and a well-built .45 ACP is pretty forgiving with the right bullet ogive.
Very true.
Bill's Training Blog