1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 AM

Early Wilson Combat 1911 Master Grade Accu Comp LE

I have been offered an early Wilson Combat 1911 Master Grade Accu Comp LE built on what I believe is a series 80 Colt Government Model, FG prefix serial number. It's an even trade for a Colt SP1 Carbine R6001.

For what I have in the rifle, I know I'm not getting hurt on the deal. I am curious as to the approximate value of the Wilson, it appears to be in very good condition. I also would like to know, once I get the Wilson and have a serial number, if there would be any information available from Wilson on the build.

I found a fair bit of information on the general build with some Google-Fu. Any further links are always appreciated.

If you missed my newbie post in the Welcome section. I am a longtime poster over at PAFOA and was sent here by one of the members over there.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
I have been offered an early Wilson Combat 1911 Master Grade Accu Comp LE built on what I believe is a series 80 Colt Government Model, FG prefix serial number. It's an even trade for a Colt SP1 Carbine R6001.

For what I have in the rifle, I know I'm not getting hurt on the deal. I am curious as to the approximate value of the Wilson, it appears to be in very good condition. I also would like to know, once I get the Wilson and have a serial number, if there would be any information available from Wilson on the build.

I found a fair bit of information on the general build with some Google-Fu. Any further links are always appreciated.

If you missed my newbie post in the Welcome section. I am a longtime poster over at PAFOA and was sent here by one of the members over there.
Wilson will be able to tell you everything when you provide SN#
Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 PM

On older guns there are no real records available but if you post pics to the forum I will help you the best I can. If you can't post pics I will help you post them.
If you don't have pics, well not a whole lot I can do. Lets see some pics.
I love the old Accu-Comps.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 PM

As the owner sent to me. I will post more once I have possession of it.

By unclejumbo at 2012-04-20

Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM

I can't give you a value but I can tell you that is a nice late 80's gun with a lot of extras like 30LPI checkering, trigger guard checkering and full Metaloy hard chrome.

The absolute best way to ascertain value is a Gunbroker search. If I were looking for an Accu-Comp, that is the kind of Accu-Comp I would look for.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the information. Would you be able to tell by looking at it if it is the #130 conversion as mentioned below in this necro-thread.

"Let me offer some historical statistics. I have a Wilson Combat catalog and price list dated 1985. The most expensive conversion was the #130 Master Grade AccuComp LE for $995 plus the cost of a 1911. That's a full house conversion with a compensator, the state of the art game gun of the era. The same gun that Rob Leatham and Brian Enos used, the LE stood for Leatham Enos."

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=99231

Is the pistol going to be marked in any way other than your company logos to provide more historical info?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 AM

The only thing you are missing is a speed chute. Otherwise it is pretty much full house/
Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 AM

Im curious is this thing is still covered by their warranty. She needs a makeover. Especially around the trigger. (tooling marks) She is still a sweet lil shooter though.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethhardy View Post
Im curious is this thing is still covered by their warranty. She needs a makeover. Especially around the trigger. (tooling marks) She is still a sweet lil shooter though.
Those are pins holding the trigger to the bow.
Our "service policy" would cover any parts or labor defects of Wilson Combat but I would assume that would have already been corrected a few decades ago.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 AM

She may be old, but she is still pretty.

Congrats on your acquisition.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Sorry WCR I was referring to the cut out next to the trigger. I was also curious if you warrantied things such as for instance a crack in a colt frame. Seeing as you didn't manufacture that frame I was just curious if you stood bye it as of 2012.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethhardy View Post
Sorry WCR I was referring to the cut out next to the trigger. I was also curious if you warrantied things such as for instance a crack in a colt frame. Seeing as you didn't manufacture that frame I was just curious if you stood bye it as of 2012.
We would have never replaced a cracked Colt frame or Colt slide after the fact or any other part we didn't manufacture. Most of those early guns were built on customer supplied base guns. Some were new- some had 10,000 rounds through them prior to build so you can see how guaranteeing another maker's part can be difficult.

The rough finish on a Colt frame (Or Springfield) was and is pretty standard.
Cosmetic standards have changed quite a bit (and have been priced accordingly) over the last 25 years. Also keep in mind in the mid-80's we were building guns primarily for high volume competitive shooters who weren't as concerned with cosmetics as the large megapixel crowd currently is. Most of them would beat the stuffing out of their gun in short order so whether or not the trigger guard cut outs were smooth or had machine marks was really inconsequential for 99% of shooters.

We developed the Supergrade line to address more cosmetic details later in the 80's.

You have now learned part of the reason why we now build our own small parts, slides and frames and barrels.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Great answer. That covered all my questions.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 PM

Ok, the pistol arrived today. I had a chance to take it out and shoot a half box of ammo at my steel silhouette before dark. It shoots great and is accurate. I had one failure to lock back and the mag doesn't drop free. The mag seems light to me so that may be the issue.

I'm now sitting here with the slide separated from the frame. I have no idea how to remove the guide rod, spring and barrel. I'd like to get it broken down and cleaned tonight to make sure its got no problems.

Anybody have some experience with an Accu Comp or similar that can provide some instruction?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 PM

Nice; thanks for posting. Something really cool, old school, about a Colt-n-Wilson combo. Thinking about doing it myself.

Tony
Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 PM

I have figured it out thanks to Youtube and the Wilson Combat videos. I'll post a few more pics once I make it pretty.