1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Should I talk my son out of a 3" Ultra Raptor?

I absolutely love my Pro CDP II and trust it enough for everyday carry, but my son is dead set on the shorter barrel of a ultra Raptor! Is he making a mistake as to reliability? Are there any issues from those that own the shorter barreled Kimbers besides a shorter sight radius?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned

Stay away from those short barrels.....Heard nothing but problems with all these "tiny" aluminum frame weapons.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM

I have an Ultra CDP II that's totally reliable; but it took a good bit of work to make it that way.

Others report no problems with the three inch models, but statistically; the shorter you go; the increased likelihood of functional issues.

My favorite carry 1911's are Commander sized (4 1/4") 1911's.

I believe that's the best blend of "carryability" and reliability.

Rick
Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Not totally true, mine has had issues but nothing major. I like my 3" Ultra Covert, I carry it and prefer in over my M&P.
I do like full size guns for shooting, so it really depends on what your using the weapon for and how it feels in your hand. My 2 cents.
Can you run 900 ft per second? If not you better be bulletproof
Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 PM

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=285247
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=270622

Kimber has figured out the Ultra pistols. Colts still have issues with the less than Commander size, but they are getting better too. Your son should decide for himself.
About 15% of owners have "issues" with Ultra size 1911's. That is same as the percentage of handgun owners that don't trust the 1911 type for personal defense.

Run you own poll

Last edited by Onegoodshot; 04-19-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISKIMBER View Post
Stay away from those short barrels.....Heard nothing but problems with all these "tiny" aluminum frame weapons.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submoashooter View Post
I absolutely love my Pro CDP II and trust it enough for everyday carry, but my son is dead set on the shorter barrel of a ultra Raptor! Is he making a mistake as to reliability? Are there any issues from those that own the shorter barreled Kimbers besides a shorter sight radius?
My ultra has been 100% reliable and totally accurate despite the shorter sight radius.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Wonder if he'd take a look at the officer framed 4" barrel versions?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 PM

My CDP ultra is nothing but trouble still havent got it right, I would say stay away. My 4 inch pro carry is better. I wish I had never bought the cdp but I do love it carries really nice in a galco summer comfort holster. If i could just get it to run. It is out of warranty so I am out of pocket on everything. I am doing one more range run and if it still isnt working it goes on gun broker.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Ultra Stainless Raptor here, more than 1200 rounds shot, not a problem at all. I highly recommend one!
Selling Central Florida "by the yard"
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Banned

Never again.Have a 3.5",eats recoil springs,not reliable.Will try a CCO with 4.25" next time.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Mine seems to work just fine. Never had any issues.

Happy Shooting,

BDT
-Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Team Match II, Kimber Gold Match II, Kimber Custom TLE II, Kimber Eclipse 10mm, Kimber Warrior, Kimber SIS Custom RL, Kimber SIS Ultra, Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD, Kimber Ultra Raptor, Kimber Crimson Carry II Pro, Kimber Crimson Carry II Ultra, Kimber Grand Raptor II.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Over 2K rounds through my Ultra...flawless as can be and still on the original recoil springs even.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the comments especially to "onegoodshot" for the links - I knew I'd get a few unfavorable responses, but that is true with all makes/models... I still think he will like anything he buys with Kimber, just hope he doesn't have any issues.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 PM

God I hope I don't jinx myself here, but I bought an Ultra CDP II last December and I've shot it at the range every week for 5 months and it's my EDC and I haven't had any issue that wasn't user error (every once in a while when I go to cock it and lock it at night when I'm trying not to wake my wife, I am a bit too gingerly with it and I 'limp-wrist" it and it fails to load - then I simply rack it correctly and all is good).

I do hate to see these threads where so many others report having issues/problems though because I am thinking of carrying my 4" Stainless Pro TLE II and letting my wife carry the Ultra CDP II, so I do not want to give her a gun that has a higher probability of failure.

Rick McC, if you don't mind me asking, what work did you do to your 3" Kimber to make it work the way you wanted?

Frank
Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 PM

I have five Ultras. All are super reliable. If he wants an Ultra, I say let him buy one.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 PM

I have the ultra raptor II and no problems what so ever. Many rounds through and carries nice.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISKIMBER View Post
Well said.
Get the Pro Raptor 4" barrel. Mine has been perfect from day one.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 AM

fmpnd:

PM sent.

Rick
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM

Ultra CDP II here. Another vote for totally flawless reliability and performance.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:31 AM

FYI Polls done on this forum

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...highlight=poll

Poll on all Kimber Reliability
Selling Central Florida "by the yard"
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM

I just picked up an Ultra TLE II last night. I have not shot it yet, took it home, field stripped it, cleaned and oiled it. Will shoot it tonight. If I didn't feel comfortable with one I would not have bought, it will be for summertime carry too.

NRA Member
Colt Lightweight Commander, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Custom TLE II RL,Kimber Ultra TLE II, Kimber Raptor Pro II SS.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM

DO NOT TALK HIM OUT OF IT! i have one :-D and i love it.its my favorite gun! i've never had as single burpp with it. its amazing he and you will love it!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 PM

I have about 1000 rounds through my Ultra TLE II and it is very reliable and accurate. Mine has very tight tolerances and does like to be oiled, I learned this when I gave Frog Lube a try. With the Frog Lube it shot fine for fourty rounds but then I started getting some ftf problems. I stopped shooting and cleaned off the frog lube then oiled it back up with my usual M-Pro 7 and it has been back to flawless ever since.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM

]
Quote:
Let that be your guide.