1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Just ordered my 1st Kimber tonight

Finally pulled the trigger (it was so heavy that it took a month...) and ordered a Kimber Gold Match 2 SS in 9mm

Why 9mm? Well, I just shoot paper and steel targets (USPSA), and 9mm is good enough

Now some mods to follow. I am planning to get the following parts. Any comments / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tripp Research 10rd mags
Smith & Alexander MSH and mag well
VZ grips w/ a thumb groove
WC mag release extended or oversized (got small hands..)
Ghost holster
Comp Tac Belt feeder mag pouches

It will be sometime before I get these bits and pieces all together but I enjoy planning things ahead

Perhaps during the next winter, I would send it out to Kimber (or someone else) to add a front strap checkering (if I would want it) and trigger guard under cut (definitely), and do a trigger job (if I would need it).

I had spent hours and days before I decided to get a Gold Match. Thank you all for sharing the valuable info!

Cheers

PS: Of course, photos to follow eventually.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 PM

I would find a local gunsmith to do the mods, shipping a handgun can be expensive.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM

I think your wish list is a good one. Good luck with your project.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Thank you folks.

B.Reid - I take your advice and will look for a local smith. That makes sense.

Cheers
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM

9mm power!!!!!!!!! I got a ultra CDP ii in 9 too!! I figured it's enough to kill and cheap to shoot range than .45
Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 PM

If you can afford to shoot practice and hit target, I think that's better than not beable to afford to practice and miss the target
Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 PM

I finally picked up the Gold Match today, and cleaned and lubed her good. I am a big fan of TW25B but the manual says "No grease". So, I used the supplied FP-10. I would comply with the instruction during the break-in but really? No grease?? Also, the manual says "No degreaser". Really??

Anyways, the design of 1911 is, imho, ART. The art of minimalism. I have been shooting with a Beretta 92FS (my 1st firearm). Different animals but compared to the 1911, it is pretty complex. The 1911 is so simple and clean.

I am going to hit the range tomorrow night and burn 100+ rounds through her.

Another FUN just began
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0202.jpg   DSCN0204.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Nice looking piece. Congrats! Can't wait to see it with all the mods you plan to put on it.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM

Nice gun you have there. I just picked up a Custom II in stainless over the weekend. Haven't shot it yet but I spent an hour or so on Sunday field stripping and cleaning it. Big fun.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 AM

I have just ordered the exact same gun - cant wait for it to arrive !!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Great looking gun..now get out there and shoot it like you stole it!!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Congratulation on the Gold Match. I have a blued one in .45 acp. Still, I am a big fan of the Beretta 92fs. I used to have one.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Great looking Kimber. I have the 9MM and 45 in the stainless Custom II Target. Both have proven to be very accurate and completely reliable.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 PM

Nice

Nice, I am collecting similar parts for a .45 gold match in blue.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM

Range Report

Thanks guys!

So I went to a range and put 150 rounds (Magtech 115gr) through her tonight. Other than one (1) FTE, it ran smoothly. It would appear that I need to adjust the rear sight to the left a bit. See the photo - 50 rounds each at 7, 10 and 15 yrds at a moderate speed (1 shot per 2 seconds). Free standing (I did not want to use the table this time as I just wanted to "feel the gun").

Everything is tight fit on this gun (typical Kimber??). Especially when I rack the slide, it is pretty heavy (with the stock springs in it). The hammer face is kind of rough and in fact, I see a small nipple on it. I guess that the hammer is one of MIM parts? I hope it will smooth out during the break in. Even the mag is tight fit. When the mag is empty, it does not slide out by itself and I have to pull it out

The trigger is kind of gritty and heavy at the moment. I hope it will smooth out through the break in. Also, I think that I need a shorter trigger block. I have small hands and when I reach the trigger, my trigger finger is extended almost straight. I would pull the shots towards 9 oclock??

I am not sure about Kimber's mag. It feels pretty cheap. I was having hard time with loading the mag (I forgot to take my speed loader with me..) and the ammo did not want to settle in it. I am going to order a couple of Tripp Cobra mags and break them in along with the gun.

As soon as the break in is over, I am going to switch the lub to TW25B grease. I do not really like oil. It gets really messy (and slippery).

Anyways, I am loving my new gun - my 1st 1911. It is very accurate from shot #1 and I cannot wait to go back and shoot more

Time to clean her. She is still warm and dead oily - like some good french fries

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0205.jpg  
Kimber Gold Match II SS 9mm, Dawson Precision magwell, TrippCobra mags.
Browning Citori 725 Sporting 30"