1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Beretta 84

I traded for a Beretta 84 .380 that is ANIB. Seems to be close in appearance to Beretta 92 (military issue) only smaller. Small, but not really a "pocket pistol" in size, only in the caliber. The .380 is quite a small round physically but quite formidable in some loadings. Actually I think it equal to the .38 special in most aspects except bullet weight.

This Model 84 is quite well finished and pretty in the blue steel with Walnut grips. The ambidextrous safeties are crisp and positive. The ergos are really good and the grip excellent in the hand. The sights are not white dot (plain black notch & blade), and somewhat small. However I had no problem seeing them. The accuracy was outstanding at 8 yards with WWB 95 gr. FMJ. about 2" for a 13 round magazine if I concentrated and fired slowly. The trigger is "double action" on the initial pull (or cock the hammer which I prefer). Thereafter it is a pretty good trigger and that means a lot to me. I fired 50 rounds through it with out a hitch of any kind. Though the pistol is large for a pocket pistol, and the wooden grips quite "thick" the recoil was more than I expected. Not bad mind you, much better than the tiny mouse guns. However, just slightly less than a regular 9mm (such as a Glock 19 or XD).

Actually I'm a little perplexed as to where this pistol "fits" in the scheme of things. There are regular 9mm that are as small, some plastic pistols are lighter and have close/equal mag capacity. And the 9mm is less expensive to shoot than the .380. The Beretta is all steel, walnut, and more of a traditional pistol made the "craftsman" way. The biggest down side is it cost an arm and a leg. Suggested retail is about $800 and even the "Cheaper Than Dirt" catalog list it for almost $700 (from memory). I must say though that a couple of people I've met that own them love them. So, if you like traditional wood and steel, great quality, high capacity and are willing to pay a premium for those things. This might be a "smaller" type pistol to look at. As an aside a woman with a purse would not be put off by the slightly larger size and weight. Also the smaller .380 round might be less intimidating and easier for a woman to shoot enough to be competent. All and all I think it's a pretty good pistol - just expensive.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 PM

Remember when you raise questions about the envelope into which this pistol fits that it has been around for quite a long time, and was here long before the Glocks, mini-Glocks, etc. I suspect that today it would not be brought out because of those sorts of realities, but it had a potentially useful niche when it arrived. I've thought about one off and one, but can't really justify the money and added heartburn of another caliber to supply. I'm not even sure that they are made/imported any more now - are they?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 AM

Beretta 84

I think they are still available, as the 84 is listed with "Cheaper Than Dirt" gun catalog. Their are several changes on the 84 platform with newer models called the "Cheetah". Hard to tell which model this one is. It's labeled "Model 84" on the barrel but has ambidextrous safeties and yet has the older rounded trigger guard. It may be a Cheetah model. It really is a high quality pistol by all appearances and function. Very slick operating, just a little large for a pocket pistol. If this was made in a full 9mm it would be a pistol that really appealed to me.

Last edited by mes228; 04-19-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:34 PM

I paid 400 even for my 84BB new about ten years ago.
Nice to see it's still worth that, not many new guns hold value or go up now adays.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 PM

I bought a 84f about two months ago. I've looking and lusting over this pistol for 10 years. The $700.00 always set me off. Every time I was in a gun shop I always asked to handle a Beretta 84f if they had one. (13 round doubled stacked). I finally found a used one for $519.00. This pistol was so clean and un-marked that it appeared to be brand new. I bought it. I love it. The main reason I like it so much, is I think it's one of the most beautiful pistols I have ever seen. I swapped out the plastic grips for the Beretta walnut grips and the thing just got better looking. It's just got this classic combat and durability look with elegant lines. It feels perfect in my hand and it has a small profile. I like that. Part II: The shooting. I had a hell of a time learning to shoot this thing. The first target at 21 feet I shot a perfect semi-circle above the bulls-eye. This thing shoots high and I was all over the map. I was shooting left and I was shooting right. I assumed the gun was shooting high and I learned it does. The left to right thing was obviously on me. I spent a lot of time at home dry firing it and I seemed to be doing the same thing. I am not a very good shooter but this thing was bewildering. I shot it worse than anything I had ever fired. I went to the range with three of my pistols the other day and the Beretta was the smallest and the lesser of caliber but all I really wanted to do was understand this pistol and become proficient with it. It took over a 100 rounds but I did it. It will always shot high which is not bad as it always allows you to see your target. I like that. For a .380 it barks as much as a 9mm due to the blowback design. As to the size it should be a 9mm and I would have paid the $700.00 a long time ago if it were. It does has a bit of a learning curve. I understand how someone could buy one and not like. Retracting the slide starts like greased ball bearings then gets real stiff real quick as to chew skin off your hand. Some guys buy it for their wives due to the size and the .380 and that seems to never work. It looks like it could be a perfect purse pistol. Once they try to retract the slide and it rips the skin off their fingers they get pissed off. If you can get them to shoot it you are ahead of the curve. One or two rounds later they simply hate it. Back to the store it goes. As far as a niche in the current era, it probably has none, neither does a 57 Chevy or a 67 Mustang. It's not a pocket pistol and it's not a 9mm. I'm not a fan of smaller pistols as the slide stop, the safety, the trigger, the hammer and the magazine release are compressed to a smaller area that is not ergonomically efficient and workable for most of us. I love this pistol. This is as small as I am willing to go. It's not an easy pistol to use but I love it, and I will always handle it every day and I will always own it.

As far as a niche, your right.
Good Luck.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM

I'm wondering, if the 84f is close to the 92f in size, why not just purchase the 92? The 9mm ammo might be cheaper and can be more lethal in +P rounds. I know everyone has an ideal pistol/gun that they really want and that when that opportunity knocks you take it. The Beretta 92F is a gun that will enter the "Hall of Fame", even though I don't own one it is a great pistol with awesome accuracy.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:08 AM

The Beretta Model 84 was the second firearm I ever bought and the first new one I ever bought. Picked mine up in 1981 or thereabouts. I still have it.

Yes, the 84 was criticized when it came out as being too big for easy concealed carry. On the other hand, its 13 round capacity was seen as a big plus by some. It shoots better than the Walther, which I think it was more or less the competition for at the time. It does not "bite" the shooter's hand like the Walther, and carries more rounds.

The gun is impeccably made and surprisingly accurate for a pistol this size. One interesting thing about the 84 is that it has a Loaded Chamber Indicator -- decades before governments started mandating them. This was seen as a nice-to-have feature at the time. Now people complain about them. Go figure.