1911Forum banner

New Kimber Custom TLE II Report

9K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  A1sauce 
#1 ·
Hello,

I picked up my new Kimber Custom TLE II today and I thought, I’d share my initial impressions and experience. This Kimber seems to be rock-solid: no rust on the barrel, no trigger creep, the whole thing feels really tight and well-built. I sent 200 rounds down range through it so far - Blazer and Winchester White Box (using Kimber stock magazine and a couple of Mec-Gar magazines) - not a single malfunction, very accurate, ejects brass properly! At this point, I am very pleased with this 1911. I will continue trying different ammo to test its reliability and update you on my progress.

Meanwhile, here are the pictures:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice Kimber. You will have some people tell you that there is no way your Kimber failed to have failures, but I and my friends love ours. Welcome to the forum!

#6 ·
Thank you, guys! I appreciate it.

You will have some people tell you that there is no way your Kimber failed to have failures, but I and my friends love ours.
I know exactly what you mean! I went through pages of horror stories and unfavorable opinions about Kimber on various firearms-related forums myself. Surely, everyone's experience is different but I simply couldn't see how this company would stay in business (and then some) if those kinds of issues were widespread. Perhaps, people tend to post negative opinions more than praising testimonials or perhaps, those opinions are based on their loyalty to other brands - kind of like forever-young Mac vs. PC discussion. So, I thought, I would counter-weight those negative posts with mine :cool:

I am not really concerned about MIM parts as other purists - replacements are not expensive in case any of them will brake. I am a bit surprised that my TLE II came with a single low quality magazine, and even though it didn’t get me any trouble, I will use much higher quality Mec-Gars instead. One thing does not make sense to me: polymer mainspring housing on all steel gun but no matter... I already ordered one by Ed Brown so, this will be replaced as soon as it will arrive.

In any case, my own experience so far was nothing but positive - excellent reliability, fit, finish, and accuracy!

#7 ·
Mortum,
Congratulations on your new TLE! Mine was hot right out of the box as well and hasn't failed yet after several thousand rounds. I hope you continue to enjoy the shooting!

I've not encountered any problems with the stock magazines and I'm puzzled why people call them "cheap" or low quality. Mine have always run well, as well as my Wilsons, my CMC and even my stock Colt magazines. Does anyone of the Internet experts on magazines actually know what exactly makes them inferior? Actually, exactly? In composition of materials, in manufacturing process, in quality control, or in actual cost of production? I suppose I'd be interested in an actual scientific/manufacturing comparison that offers proof. Has someone actually performed tests of the various magazines, with appropriate controls? And tested by someone familiar with such comparisons?

#9 ·
Thank you!

Mortum,
Congratulations on your new TLE! Mine was hot right out of the box as well and hasn't failed yet after several thousand rounds. I hope you continue to enjoy the shooting!
Thank you, KimberBillyB!

I'm puzzled why people call them "cheap" or low quality... Does anyone of the Internet experts on magazines actually know what exactly makes them inferior? Actually, exactly? In composition of materials, in manufacturing process, in quality control, or in actual cost of production? I suppose I'd be interested in an actual scientific/manufacturing comparison that offers proof. Has someone actually performed tests of the various magazines, with appropriate controls? And tested by someone familiar with such comparisons?
I am certainly not an expert - Internet or otherwise so I cannot provide scientific or manufacturing comparison to legitimize my assessment but… I do see at least three disadvantages of this stock magazine when compared to Mec-Gar for instance, which I find to be excellent value for money ($22.53 each at Sportsman’s Depot): metal-bent follower that is prone to tilting (vs. evenly sliding polymer one), non-removable (at least I cannot see how) butt plate, which makes cleaning to be less “user-friendly”, and overall fit and finish. I also prefer 8 rounds vs. 7. Follower to slide-lock engagement on the stock one seems fine but it’s right on the edge of the lower fold - not sure how much of an issue this is.

Perhaps, the term “low quality” I used was not suitable and the better term would be “less appealing”? :D

#10 · (Edited)
Mortum,
My comments or questions were really not addressed to you. Sorry about that.

There are many, many comments on this forum about the stock magazines that Kimber includes with their pistols. Most seem based upon other comments, or something like rumor passed on based on rumor based on personal experience or personal preference. Persons even talk about throwing them away as soon as they get the pistol. I'm like Sergeant Joe Friday on "Dragnet", "just give me the facts, ma'am. "All we want are the facts, ma'am"."

Again, I've never had any trouble with those that came with 3 different Kimbers.

(PS My grandfather told me about Dragnet. I'm much too young to have ever watched it!)

(PSS Those are great pics, by the way)

#12 ·
Thanks, XVIga_Rob!

My comments or questions were really not addressed to you. Sorry about that. There are many, many comments on this forum about the stock magazines that Kimber includes with their pistols. Most seem based upon other comments, or something like rumor passed on based on rumor based on personal experience or personal preference.
No problem at all. I am glad you raised this issue because before I got my own Kimber, I was in the very same boat as you, reading all those “…I threw it away as soon as I got it…” remarks so, the question you asked actually made me look at it more critically. I am not planning to throw the stock one away but I feel like Mec-Gar is just better so, I might switch to this kind exclusively.

(PSS Those are great pics, by the way)
Thanks! (iPhone with Pixelmatic filter) I just wish it would not come out that yellow :D

#11 ·
Congrats on the new TLE! Love mine! I did send mine back to Kimber for a little TLC (slide to frame fit), but it has never failed to feed, fire, or eject perfectly. And, if I do my part, POI & POA are dead nuts!

I made 2 minor personalization changes to my TLE. GI guide rod & plug & a pair of VZ's. Very happy Kimber owner here!

Happy Shooting!!

#13 ·
Welcome to the Kimber fold, Mortum, and congrats on that fine TLE. As you found out, it is a good gun.

I've had a few other brands of 1911s and sold them all away. Now I have Kimbers. And based on MY ACTUAL EXPERIENCE and satisfaction with Kimbers, I continue to endorse them to those who would care to listen.

Cheers.

#15 ·
New Kimber Custom TLE II Report (update)

Hi guys,

I would like to update you on my progress with this new Kimber Custom TLE II. I took another trip to the range today and shot 200 rounds of Blazer, Winchester White Box, and some dirty reloads I got over the counter there, just to try whatever different ammo I can find to test Kimber’s reliability… NOT A SINGLE FAILURE OF ANY KIND! The gun performed flawlessly! Some guy in the lane next to mine was shooting Kimber Tactical Ultra II and according to his testimony, he went through 3,000+ rounds to date without a single hiccup! Where are all those Kimber bashers when you need ‘em, eh? :D

Once again, I am very impressed with TLE II performance, balance, and accuracy - it’s definitely a much better shooter than I am :D

Welcome to the Kimber fold, Mortum, and congrats on that fine TLE. As you found out, it is a good gun.

I've had a few other brands of 1911s and sold them all away. Now I have Kimbers. And based on MY ACTUAL EXPERIENCE and satisfaction with Kimbers, I continue to endorse them to those who would care to listen.
Thank you, DArBad! I am joining your Kimber Endorsement Club!

I love my TLE .Mine shoots 3/4 inch groups @ 25 yds out of my ransom rest with wad cutter reloads
It’s an excellent firearm indeed. I haven’t tried any rest shooting yet but I can definitely feel how accurate this gun is. I am much more accustomed to 9mm (Beretta 92FS, CZ75B, Glock 19, Sig P226, Sig P229, and Springfield XD9) and this .45 ACP will take time and practice to get confident with but, having such a fine companion, I am looking forward to this journey. And what a fun journey it will be! :D

#16 ·
My TLE II is the same way, it works every time. Before getting my Les Baer couple days ago my TLE II was my all time favorite 1911, now it has to share with the Baer. The TLE II has everything you need on a 1911 for carry, range or defense I believe. Here's mine after a short range trip.

#17 ·
Guys, I just got back my kimber Custom TLE ll back from Wilson Combat,- Had a .45 ACP "Match Barel & bushing" installed, 2 new Wilsson Mag. All new main spring and guide rod. G/10 grips bullet proof all acessories bullet proof 18lb. recoil springs. etc. totle "springs all bullet proof."At 30 yards you could cover the three shots with
nickle. prety neet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,verry impressed. Tollen

#18 ·
I see this thread is 4 years old now but what I'm about to say is relevant to this thread. I currently have a Custom TLE II that has functioned reliably and very accurate made in 2012. I acquired it in a trade with an individual so yes it was USED when it came to me GASP!!! �� People are afraid to purchase Kimbers due to what they "heard" and my guess is those same people would never buy a used one! Yes mine had some surface rust on the barrel and sides of the hammer simply because it didn't have a drop of oil on it. Something is really wrong because it's failed to do all of the hideous things it is supposed to. I must have gotten one of the good ones from some of that new production equipment!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.